Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   CA DMV Confuses me... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/ca-dmv-confuses-me-208310.html)

jaov2k 12-30-2012 12:00 PM

CA DMV Confuses me...

I have BIG PLANS!! oh yea!!...

wait for it...

I want to build a new CJ5 using aftermarket parts!! oh yea!!... new frame, crate motor, blah blah blah...

anywho... If everything is new and aftermarket does it fall under a "Custom Car" or a "Restoration" or a "Savlage/Junk" registration process? And do I have to smog it?... Commifornia can really be confusing at times...

...but the weather is great...

Carlsbad0331 12-30-2012 06:48 PM

If you are building it completely from new aftermarket parts it would be considered a custom built vehicle and you can designate a VIN of your own. A Buddy of mine built a replica Porsche Speedster two years ago (it took him 4 years, but he finished it 2 years ago). It was completely from new parts and he had no problem at all registering it.
It DID need to be smogged.

bobjenkins 12-31-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsbad0331 (Post 3161339)
if you are building it completely from new aftermarket parts it would be considered a custom built vehicle and you can designate a vin of your own. A buddy of mine built a replica porsche speedster two years ago (it took him 4 years, but he finished it 2 years ago). It was completely from new parts and he had no problem at all registering it.
It did need to be smogged.

Raiderfan001 12-31-2012 12:28 AM

I'd get a base vehicle from anything 1975 or older. Do whatever you plan to do with it and no smog required.

jaov2k 12-31-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001
I'd get a base vehicle from anything 1975 or older. Do whatever you plan to do with it and no smog required.

How much "base" does there have to be? Can i salvage the license plate frame and call it a rebuild? ;)

Is it like a home remodel where only 1 wall needs to remain standing?

30-284 12-31-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaov2k (Post 3162673)
How much "base" does there have to be? Can i salvage the license plate frame and call it a rebuild? ;)

Is it like a home remodel where only 1 wall needs to remain standing?

Thats what got Boyd Coddington in to trouble with the state, Old plates and everything else new.

Donn

jaov2k 12-31-2012 02:10 PM

noice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-284 (Post 3164242)
Thats what got Boyd Coddington in to trouble with the state, Old plates and everything else new.

Donn

Great reference! TY!!

"In his later days he began registering cars that were essentially completely custom fabrications as antique automobiles, avoiding major emissions restrictions and tax liabilities. California officials considered this a "Ship of Theseus" fraud, claiming that so many central elements were replaced the cars ceased to be the same entity. Coddington was charged with a misdemeanor and pleaded guilty on April 7, 2005" - wikipedia, Boyd Coddington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My question then becomes, how much of the original car and/or what parts need to remain in place to define a the vehicle as a restoration vs a custom? And can I later replace those older parts with new one's without violating the registration?

Thanks for the feedback. The DMV website doesn't help much and I'm leary to call the DMV because I'm sure everytime I call, if I get through, I'll get a different answer everytime.

jaov2k 12-31-2012 04:07 PM

So I FINALLY got a call back from the CA DMV. To make a long story short, the rep said as long as the "restored" vehicle looks like the original it can be registered as such.

What that all means is get an 1975 CJ5 VIN from a donor car or something, register it as nonoperational, do what I have to do to it, then re-register it as operational. BAM! insta-smog-free...