Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   BB or Coil lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/bb-or-coil-lift-208475.html)

Kevin063 12-30-2012 11:53 PM

BB or Coil lift

Which would offer the better ride? A BB spacer lift or a coil spring lift set?

Patrick H 12-31-2012 12:00 AM

My limited experience- my 2" BDS springs ride much better than my stock (95K miles) springs. I did have a BB for a while, but on stock springs, it doesn't change the ride...

Kevin063 12-31-2012 12:03 AM

So BB doesn't change it, but from your experience, it improves it.
Makes sense
I found an ad for a spacer lift and also a coil spring set. I'm not sure if the coils are stock or not sooooo....we'll see I suppose

wranglerTX 12-31-2012 12:38 AM

skip the BB, go for a coil lift, dont make the same mistake I did,

04ORX 12-31-2012 12:38 AM

either way you decide to go, just get good shocks when you do.

Kevin063 12-31-2012 03:04 AM

If the coil set is larger than stock, I'm gonna pull the trigger for sure. If it isn't, then I think i'll just go for the BB. Price is the biggest factor for me

Wattapunk 12-31-2012 06:43 AM

If your springs are still original, I would highly suggest to go with new springs. Adding a spacer to sagging springs not a good idea.(see coil bind). Do your homework on the coil springs before buying. Not all springs are the same and buying the wrong ones can make your ride even worse. Buy it once and do it right even though it may cost you more up front but not in the long run if you have to replace a cheaper setup. You will also need new longer shocks and bumpstops for either setup, which is another area that will affect ride quality, so don't go frugal with the shocks. Check out BDS, Zone, or OME lifts.

4wheelin 12-31-2012 07:36 AM

new springs. I changed mine (OME) this past summer from stock. Man, what a difference! I put new OME shocks on a year ago, just doing it in stages when I could afford it.

Patrick H 12-31-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin063 (Post 3162615)
So BB doesn't change it, but from your experience, it improves it.
Makes sense
I found an ad for a spacer lift and also a coil spring set. I'm not sure if the coils are stock or not sooooo....we'll see I suppose

No. A BB doesn't change it, so it doesn't improve it. All it does is space your stock springs down.

Patrick H 12-31-2012 08:48 AM

And yes, just go for the springs if you can. I did a BB because I "just had to get it lifted". I ordered the BB before I even had the Jeep. I knew I'd go to springs eventually. Now I have a set of Delrin 2" spring spacers sitting on the shelf.;)

97flexy 12-31-2012 09:35 AM

don't go cheap on new springs, buy nice ones, BDS, OME... there are many others. Also don't go cheap on shocks, a BB doesn't ride bad unless you run stock shocks.

WaterDR 12-31-2012 09:38 AM

Spacers are just silly. It's amazing how many bad lifts are out there in Jeeps. So much harder to sell a Jeep that way too.

Kevin063 12-31-2012 10:09 AM

The springs are Rough Country 2". Comes with shocks. $150, barely used from the sound of it

WaterDR 12-31-2012 10:52 AM

Makes you wonder why someone took them off.

Kevin063 12-31-2012 10:53 AM

Also, how hard is it to install? Is it anymore difficult than a BB?

rripror 12-31-2012 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
...my son just picked up a 2000 tj 2.5l and for his birthday i picked him up ' bilstein heavy-duty' shocks and went with 'H & R 1" coil springs. i put the same shocks and 'mopar' 19/60 springs on my 2010 jk 2-dr and i got almost 2" of lift and an absolutely superior ride compared to stock.
no adjustments to drive line and no additional parts. really happy with the set up and i think my son will be just as happy.

Kevin063 12-31-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rripror (Post 3163776)
...my son just picked up a 2000 tj 2.5l and for his birthday i picked him up ' bilstein heavy-duty' shocks and went with 'H & R 1" coil springs. i put the same shocks and 'mopar' 19/60 springs on my 2010 jk 2-dr and i got almost 2" of lift and an absolutely superior ride compared to stock.
no adjustments to drive line and no additional parts. really happy with the set up and i think my son will be just as happy.

How hard was it to install?

97flexy 12-31-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin063 (Post 3163502)
The springs are Rough Country 2". Comes with shocks. $150, barely used from the sound of it

I'd stay away from Rough Country and the cheaper lift companies, spend the money and buy a Old man Emu lift. Don't waste the money on a used, cheap lift. You will tank your self later on and off the road. my friend bought his jeep on 33s with cheap coils springs and crappy cheap shocks. He bought new shocks for it within the first 6 months, and now all his springs are very saggy, 4 yrs later. now he is looking at the nicer companies.

TJDave 12-31-2012 11:45 AM

Another vote to skip the budget boost and get a good spring lift.

You have to remove the springs to install spacers anyway, so it just makes more sense to put new spring in vs. spacers on top of old springs.

rripror 12-31-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin063 (Post 3163780)
How hard was it to install?

...well we haven't done the kids rig yet so i don't know how difficult the tj will be ( i'm sure it won't be a problem ) but it took me about 4 hours to install everything but i took my time and just enjoyed the sunny day with 'outlaw country' blasting from the garage stereo.:D

...floor jack, jack stands and the right tools...no worries mate.:cool:

rda616 12-31-2012 11:58 AM

I agree that old man emu are some of the best springs money can buy. I however would not discount rough country 2.5" progressive rate springs. I wouldn't buy any other products from them except their body lifts.

I run 3" savvy progressive rate springs and like them very much. I do however wish they were offered in different spring rates like ome. Other quality springs I would use are bds.

Rooster21 12-31-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3162610)
My limited experience- my 2" BDS springs ride much better than my stock (95K miles) springs.

Glad to hear that, I just ordered the 2 inch BDS for my 03 (86,500 miles)and hope to have it on by next weekend...
Heard nothing but good things.

Wattapunk 12-31-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin063 (Post 3163502)

If you are looking for improved ride, you may want to research and reconsider another co. like BDS ,OME or Zone. RC are not known for their ride quality.

rda616 12-31-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wattapunk (Post 3163985)

If you are looking for improved ride, you may want to research and reconsider another co. like BDS ,OME or Zone. RC are not known for their ride quality.

Rc shocks are know for a poor ride quality. It has nothing to do with their progressive rate springs.

Kevin063 12-31-2012 09:52 PM

How can I tell if my springs are sagging? I mean, my Jeep is 15 years old so I'm assuming they probably are, but how can I tell?

TJNewbie 01-01-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterDR (Post 3163411)
Spacers are just silly. It's amazing how many bad lifts are out there in Jeeps. So much harder to sell a Jeep that way too.

Why would you buy a jeep just to turn around and sell it?:popcorn:

Moabrubi 01-01-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterDR (Post 3163411)

I have spacers and run my rig pretty hard considering the tire size. Say what you want but for the price and ease of install they cannot be beat. I wouldn't get any more travel if I switched to longer springs instead.

Now of course when I go to 4" I will ditch the spacers. But for 2" spacers with good shocks work fine.

TJNewbie 01-01-2013 09:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 3167093)
I have spacers and run my rig pretty hard considering the tire size. Say what you want but for the price and ease of install they cannot be beat. I wouldn't get any more travel if I switched to longer springs instead.

Now of course when I go to 4" I will ditch the spacers. But for 2" spacers with good shocks work fine.

X2, I run spacers too- 2.25" Skyjacker BBL comes with the Skyjacker Hydro shocks that are long enough for a 3" lift. I also swapped out the front stock spring isolators with .75" Prothane Isolators. The ride is very good- better than stock was. and it allowed me to fit my Duratrac 33x12.50x15 tires under there. (with new wheels having 3.65" backspacing). During the installation, I measured the springs- unloaded. then later did some research and found that the springs had sagged (b4 I bought the jeep). But the BBL has been a good stepping stone. I will replace the springs when cash allows, and not have to buy shocks too.

rda616 01-01-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 3167093)

Did you know rc progressive rate 2.5" springs are as long as their 4" springs! With long travel shocks and shock bracket mods you could absolutely get more travel without unseating your springs. Right now your shocks are your limiting factor in travel. This is especially true if you used the cheap shocks that come with those bb kits.

Moabrubi 01-01-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rda616

Did you know rc progressive rate 2.5" springs are as long as their 4" springs! With long travel shocks and shock bracket mods you could absolutely get more travel without unseating your springs. Right now your shocks are your limiting factor in travel. This is especially true if you used the cheap shocks that come with those bb kits.

That doesent matter. As of now my limiting factor is my fenders and that wont change for me unless i hiline. My springs dont unseat now so there is no point.

How can the quality of shock be related to travel? That has to do with length not the actual quality. I run Bilstein 5100s and it rides pretty nice considering the amount put into it.