Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Question about iPod control via uconnect 130 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/question-about-ipod-control-via-uconnect-130-a-208516.html)

ephilli2 12-31-2012 09:52 AM

Question about iPod control via uconnect 130

Hi All,

I upgraded to a 2013 Rubicon a few days ago and I'm getting to know it. So far, so great!

I've done some searching for this question but haven't found an answer yet.

The question relates to controlling my iPod through the head unit. The head unit is the uconnect 130 (with sirius), with the USB port in the center console. When I connect my iPod, I can use the "List" button on the head unit to scroll through playlists, artists, albums, etc., but I cannot figure out how to select a specific song. When I select a playlist, it starts playing the first song in that playlist. When I select an artist, it plays the first song for that artist. Is there a way to select a specific song (i.e., select a playlist, then scroll songs in that list and select one)? The iPod interface seems to be pretty rough, but I'm hoping there's a way to accomplish this very basic task.

I know I can use voice commands, but with over 10,000 songs on the iPod, it can be challenging to get the exact song I want.

Thanks!

BREMOIT 12-31-2012 02:30 PM

I struggled with the ipod /radio interface as well. Its not an ideal set up to say the least. I never did figure out how to access specific songs myself. That being said....

I did manage to get the ipod (its an ipod touch, just like a phone, with no phone function) to connect via bluetooth and just use the ipod to scroll thru the songs. You have to use voice commands and some trial and error to get it to connect. At least I did.

Now, I can use the track forward and reverse buttons on the steering wheel to scroll thru songs as well, even when connected by bluetooth.

If you are able to connect bluetooth with your ipod, try that, its the best way I've found for control.

If you do have issues getting BT connectivity, check back in here or send me a PM if you hit a wall.

Cheers...

Sooner13JK 12-31-2012 03:00 PM

The best way I've found to combat this problem is to use the Voice Recognition system. You can tell it to play certain songs, artists, or playlists. To keep it from playing the songs in order, before you select the playlist, tell the VR system to shuffle the music. Just hit the button and say "Shuffle Music On". She will repeat it back to you and Voila! You're playlist is shuffled.

ephilli2 01-02-2013 09:40 PM

Thanks guys. I figured I'd have to resort to bluetooth or voice commands. I was hoping I was missing an obvious, easy solution (a big "song" button or something), but apparently that's not the case. I have to say that the iPod interface with the factory head unit is poor at best, but hey, that's a small price to pay for owning a Wrangler! :-)

xsdbs 01-03-2013 08:07 AM

well it's really not an issue with the Uconnect system as much as it is the limitations of the radio. The 130 only has so many supported features.
Now if you have already started to play an artist, playlist etc and you want to get back to the songs listing where you can scroll thru them all, you can:
1) Press & release the Uconnect voice button, say "list songs".
2) When she starts to list the songs, press & release the Uconnect voice button again and say "select". Uconnect will now display 2 lines of information:
A) All songs
B) Songs starting wiith "A" then if you scroll thru using the tuning knob you will be able to go thru the list alphabetically.

3) Now if you have gone into the "List" and selected "playlist" and you want to scroll thru the list for a particular song, use the tuning knob to scroll thru the playlist till you find the song you want to play. This same step would be used if you also selected an artist or album.
4) Did you know that you can use your radio preset buttons to pull up the same selections as in the "List" button?
A) preset 1 = Playlist
B) preset 2 = albums
C) preset 3 = artist
D) preset 4 = Genre
E) preset 5 = podcast (if you don't have any, then the radio screen will display "no items found").
F) preset 6 = audiobooks (if you don't have any, then the radio screen will display "no items found").
II) once you have selected one of this presets, use the tuning knob to scroll thru.

I hope this helps you out a little. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ephilli2 (Post 3175321)
Thanks guys. I figured I'd have to resort to bluetooth or voice commands. I was hoping I was missing an obvious, easy solution (a big "song" button or something), but apparently that's not the case. I have to say that the iPod interface with the factory head unit is poor at best, but hey, that's a small price to pay for owning a Wrangler! :-)

ShoreWrangler 01-03-2013 10:28 AM

Yeah the best way I have found is to use the voice recognition and ask for a specific song title. If that doesn't work I ask for a specific artist, then just skip the songs until I find the one I wants. No perfect solution

xsdbs 01-04-2013 01:16 PM

another option is to watch for a used RBZ touchscreen radio which would be a simple PnP install.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoreWrangler (Post 3177171)
Yeah the best way I have found is to use the voice recognition and ask for a specific song title. If that doesn't work I ask for a specific artist, then just skip the songs until I find the one I wants. No perfect solution

Buster3479 01-04-2013 01:28 PM

Thanks for this thread. Is there a specific filename format that it needs on the songs? I've used multiple different rippers in the past, and they aren't all the same. Also, do you guys just make a folder per artist, or how to you have it organized for the Jeep to recognize it?

nelson22 01-13-2013 10:31 AM

Any idea how to search through multiple albums for the same artist? Say I have 3 albums by Dave Matthews Band, how do I select a specific album?