Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Water in rear Diff - worn ball joints MY11 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/water-in-rear-diff-worn-ball-joints-my11-208697.html)

exilei 01-01-2013 04:55 AM

Water in rear Diff - worn ball joints MY11
 
Took the jeep for a bit of a swim @3 months ago. Just had it in for a service and was told that there was quite a lot of water in the rear diff which likely came in through breather.

Is this a common problem and is it worth considering installing some breather hoses to a higher location.

I've probably done @5000k's since water entry. Is there anything I need to be concerned about now that the diff oil has been flushed and changed.

Also was told that there was quite a bit of wear in the ball joints and bushes in front diff, which need replacing. Jeep has done 38,000ks. 3" Lift kit kit went in @ 3months ago and 33"tyre @1 month ago. Is this normal that balljoints etc need replacing @ this time.

Thanks in advance

MrSig 01-01-2013 05:06 AM

I can't tell you much about the ball Joints other than some guys have them go out faster than others. Some one will have the full answer for you. But raising the breathers are a must if your doing any water crossings. Front diff, Transmission, & T case. Pulled up to be seen better.
http://www.aaof.us/images/breup.JPG




exilei 01-01-2013 05:13 AM

Thanks MrSig,

What are the chances that I've done any damage given that I did @5000K with water in the diff.

smaxberry 01-01-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exilei (Post 3167240)
Thanks MrSig,

What are the chances that I've done any damage given that I did @5000K with water in the diff.

I wouldn't think there would be much damage, especially if they didn't want to charge you anything to fix. I would bet money that if they saw any signs of metal while draining, they would have saw $$$$ for labor of talking you into a new R/P, bearings, etc...

scubatech 01-01-2013 08:16 AM

I would feel safer pulling the carrier out and checking the bearing races for etching from the water being in there that long. Then I would flush it out good with brake parts cleaner just to be safe. It's not that big a job.

kjeeper10 01-01-2013 08:20 AM

My ball joints started to go at 40k

The bottoms were the worst. Factory Jk joints use a plastic sleeve the ball moves in. Wears out over time.
Aftermarket like my synergy are metal metal and are greasable.

JEEPDON 01-01-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exilei (Post 3167229)
Took the jeep for a bit of a swim @3 months ago. Just had it in for a service and was told that there was quite a lot of water in the rear diff which likely came in through breather.

Is this a common problem and is it worth considering installing some breather hoses to a higher location.

I've probably done @5000k's since water entry. Is there anything I need to be concerned about now that the diff oil has been flushed and changed.

Also was told that there was quite a bit of wear in the ball joints and bushes in front diff, which need replacing. Jeep has done 38,000ks. 3" Lift kit kit went in @ 3months ago and 33"tyre @1 month ago. Is this normal that balljoints etc need replacing @ this time.

Thanks in advance

Definitely do an inspection of the diff's and a lube change. As stated above, clean everything up good and look at bearing races. While I was at it, since you went swimming, I would change the oil in the Transfer Case and Tranny as well. But that is just me.
Also, Factory ball joints are Junque!! Do like Ken--- replace with Synergy ball joints--- definitely worth the cost. You won't be sorry you did any of these things.

exilei 01-02-2013 04:17 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Will be getting the ball joints replaced with synergy and get other lubes flushed

Installing the breather hoses is another thing on the increasing "to do" list

justcansin 01-02-2013 07:42 AM

good info ,Will be getting the ball joints replaced with synergy and get other lubes flushed,thankshttp://www.okhealthy.com/youjie/images/8.gif

tabber02 01-02-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3167560)
My ball joints started to go at 40k

The bottoms were the worst. Factory Jk joints use a plastic sleeve the ball moves in. Wears out over time.
Aftermarket like my synergy are metal metal and are greasable.


Hey Ken-
How often are you lubing the ball joints, control arms, stuff like that? For my own education here...

Thanks,
-Bob

kjeeper10 01-02-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02

Hey Ken-
How often are you lubing the ball joints, control arms, stuff like that? For my own education here...

Thanks,
-Bob

When I do my oil changes 3-5k

tabber02 01-02-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3172088)
When I do my oil changes 3-5k

okay thanks! i've been "trying" (using that loosely) to lube my control arms and everything with a zirc fitting about every 5,000 miles. glad to hear that's about right...

:D and i'm in the market for the ball joints myself... seems like 30K is about the cut off before they go in the tank...

kjeeper10 01-02-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02

okay thanks! i've been "trying" (using that loosely) to lube my control arms and everything with a zirc fitting about every 5,000 miles. glad to hear that's about right...

:D and i'm in the market for the ball joints myself... seems like 30K is about the cut off before they go in the tank...

Yep... If spend time in water or mud you should do them. The new grease will push out the dirt and grime.

Stock JK ball joints are garbage. My Tj had 160k when I traded it in. Never touched the balljoints.

goodysgotacuda 01-02-2013 11:01 AM

You should also consider using marine grease if you like to play in water. "Normal" grease can almost wash completely away with water, marine grade is much more resistant to that.

JEEPDON 01-02-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodysgotacuda (Post 3172523)
You should also consider using marine grease if you like to play in water. "Normal" grease can almost wash completely away with water, marine grade is much more resistant to that.

X2 Yup


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.