Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Urgent assistance please....Clutch problem! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/urgent-assistance-please-clutch-problem-20906.html)

tommartin 08-24-2008 02:51 PM

Urgent assistance please....Clutch problem!

Hey there fellow Jeepers,

I have a 94' and appear to have lost the clutch, it started happening
a intermitantly then reguarly so now i've parked her up and hope you guy's (&girls) have some ideas.......

I've checked the reservoir levels (it has one large and one smaller, brake and clutch i'm assuming) the levels are fine but the smaller of the two is black and the other is normal clean fluid.

At a guess the seal has gone in the Clutch piston as opposed to the master servo or else they would both be black?
- I'm a reletivly seasoned mechanic but new to Jeeps any sugestions woudl be welcome, if this has happened to anyone what was involved in repairing it??

Thank you in advance !!

Tom

yjwrangler 08-24-2008 03:35 PM

well, is the clutch just not disengaging, and my next question is does your clutch have an internal or external slave cylinder, if its internal than chances are it has gone bad, mine went out 2 times in 4 months (hard wheelin). do you still have pedal? is there noticeable fluid leaks anywhere?

tommartin 08-25-2008 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjwrangler (Post 257994)
well, is the clutch just not disengaging, and my next question is does your clutch have an internal or external slave cylinder, if its internal than chances are it has gone bad, mine went out 2 times in 4 months (hard wheelin). do you still have pedal? is there noticeable fluid leaks anywhere?

The pedal is still there, it changes 1 through 5 but comming back down is slightly tougher with increcing diffculty untill the gearbox is still engaged and
hey presto, its either stuck in gear and stalls or you cant get it into a gear.

It's definatly a clutch engagment/release issue.

I'm really not sure if it has an internal or external slave cylinder, - What diffrence would that make?

At a guess if it's internal then the clutch would get contaminated and need replacing, if external then it's a new part, bleed and drive.

Any idea how long this could take or costs?

yjwrangler 08-25-2008 05:59 AM

sure do....an internal is 200 doll hairs, an external is a bit cheaper. lay under your jeep on the drivers side, look up at the bell housing on the upper end, if you see a hydraulic cylinder than you have an external if you don't and you just see hydraulic lines going into your bell housing than you have an internal. and yes internal seem to be more susceptible to failure and grime and dirt. if internal you gotta pull the whole tranny, if external just a simple disconnect and swap deal