Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   From 2 wheel to 4 wheel... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/from-2-wheel-to-4-wheel-209102.html)

kdude 01-02-2013 08:04 PM

From 2 wheel to 4 wheel...
 
newbie here... :)

What is the proper way to switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive?

I lent my wrangler 2010 to my girlfriend tonight and she felt she needed the 4 wheel drive option as we live on a hill and have tons of snow...

She moved the shifter from 2 - 4 wheel drive with the car in park and heard mega grinding of the tranny.. Not her fault as i never told her what the proper way to do this so can't blame her if the tranny is toast..


Can anyone give me proper instructions how to do this and do you think that she killed my tranny ?

thx,
Hp

Bossmanx 01-02-2013 10:45 PM

Standard or automatic?

Blastek 01-02-2013 11:12 PM

2H to 4H can be done at any time, in gear or not, up to 55mph. Perhaps she didn't have the lever all the way in 4H, or tried to shift to 4L.

Bossmanx 01-03-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek
2H to 4H can be done at any time, in gear or not, up to 55mph. Perhaps she didn't have the lever all the way in 4H, or tried to shift to 4L.

I was going to say exactly this. And 4Lo shouldn't be faster than rolling. I wouldn't suggest over 5mph. I have some friends that prefer rolling and letting out the clutch in Neutral and the flipping the lever.

kdude 01-04-2013 07:07 AM

Thanks guys.. Yup she didn't pull the stick all the way when she tried to move to 4 wd. We are driving an automatic tranny.

Thanks for the input as its much appreciated! Great site too !

Howard

Con Artist 01-05-2013 07:18 AM

I have a manual. Do I need to depress the clutch and then shift from 2H to 4H or can I just shift it?

Steve305 01-05-2013 08:15 AM

Do you have an owner's manual?

Con Artist 01-05-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve305 (Post 3185170)
Do you have an owner's manual?

Ciara stole it. :popcorn:

Steve305 01-05-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 3185179)
Ciara stole it. :popcorn:

:rofl: :thumb:

kdude 01-05-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve305 (Post 3185170)
Do you have an owner's manual?


It doesnt really explain it too well. Of course unless I can't read.. :thumb:

kdude 01-05-2013 06:52 PM

So how do you go from 2 wheel to 4 wheel low ?
 
I'm having a heck of a time getting out of 4 wh low to normal or 4 wh drive ..

Is there a method to this madness :rolleyes:

Con Artist 01-05-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdude (Post 3187256)
It doesnt really explain it too well. Of course unless I can't read.. :thumb:

No, the manual really does kinda suck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdude (Post 3187262)
I'm having a heck of a time getting out of 4 wh low to normal or 4 wh drive ..

Is there a method to this madness :rolleyes:

I also find it tough to shift the transfer case gears.

RoadiJeff 01-05-2013 08:58 PM

We just bought our Sahara 5 days ago. I tried yesterday for the first time to shift it out of 2H to 4H, mainly to see that everything worked like it should. It's certainly not as easy as shifting out of park into drive but it seemed to go OK. My owners guide says something about it being a bit easier to do if you let up on the accelerator pedal immediately after shifting from one to the other and never to do it at speeds above 50 mph.

Going from 4H to 4L was a completely different matter. I know it says to shift into neutral and it is easier to do it if it's rolling at 2-3 mph but that thing took a lot of effort and I don't think it's something my wife would ever do. It's her Sahara.

Is going into or out of 4L supposed to be somewhat more difficult than the others or am I just not doing it right?

Con Artist 01-05-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 3187769)
We just bought our Sahara 5 days ago. I tried yesterday for the first time to shift it out of 2H to 4H, mainly to see that everything worked like it should. It's certainly not as easy as shifting out of park into drive but it seemed to go OK. My owners guide says something about it being a bit easier to do if you let up on the accelerator pedal immediately after shifting from one to the other and never to do it at speeds above 50 mph.

Going from 4H to 4L was a completely different matter. I know it says to shift into neutral and it is easier to do it if it's rolling at 2-3 mph but that thing took a lot of effort and I don't think it's something my wife would ever do. It's her Sahara.

Is going into or out of 4L supposed to be somewhat more difficult than the others or am I just not doing it right?

I've used my 4L once and found it very difficult to shift.

Blastek 01-06-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 3185083)
I have a manual. Do I need to depress the clutch and then shift from 2H to 4H or can I just shift it?

just shift it. 4low gets easier the more you use it

Con Artist 01-06-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 3189023)
just shift it. 4low gets easier the more you use it

Okay, good to know!

Thanks!

kdude 01-06-2013 07:55 AM

Mine fights with me when I try to go back to regular drive...

Since a lot of guys who posted have a similar issue maybe its a jeep thing..

Its ridiculous that it should be such an issue.

I really hope others chime in and share there experience with the high to low gear change..

My girlfriend would not be able to make the change, crap I have difficulty too!

:popcorn:

Raiderfan001 01-06-2013 08:03 AM

I've always put it in neutral and have never had any problems going from 2H > 4H > 4L etc.

PA . JAY 01-06-2013 08:26 AM

I just dont like going into 4 wheel on the fly im sure it's fine to do . I pull over or im only going 5 mph when i shift to 4H .

Moabite 01-06-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA . JAY (Post 3189340)
I just dont like going into 4 wheel on the fly im sure it's fine to do . I pull over or im only going 5 mph when i shift to 4H .

I used to come to a complete stop and get out of the vehicle when switching into 4WD...but that was because I had to engage the manual hubs on my '82 Scrambler. Ah...the good 'ol days. In the 21st century, you can now switch in and out of 4H at highway speeds...though I always slow to below about 40-45mph when doing so.

4Lo is a different story. With my manual Scrambler, there was never any gear grinding. With the auto transmissions in my '03 Rubicon and the '13 Rubicon, there is almost always a bit of grinding when going into 4Lo. It appears to be a Jeep thing. There is NO grinding in my '08 Tundra. In the Tundra, I am totally stopped going into 4Lo and may hear a clunk...or just a click. It was the same with numerous Ford F-250s and 150s...no grinding.

Jeep recommends that you be rolling at about 2-3 mph to shift the automatic into 4Lo. Of course, you are in neutral. I've tried rolling and stopped. There is almost always a bit of grinding either way. I've found the best way to do the shift is quickly and forcefully. Do not put the transfer case in neutral and then into 4Lo...go from 4H to 4L in one smooth move. Don't be timid or slow with the shift or you will definitely get more grinding. If you hear it start to grind...don't pause. Jam that sucker into 4Lo. Shift like a man...or a woman who knows how to drive a Jeep.

Maritimer 01-06-2013 10:28 AM

I have a standard and I shift in neutral and at a complete stop regardless of engaging or disengaging. Shift from 2H to 4H is a piece of cake but the 4L can be difficult at times. If I had an automatic, I would still shift from a complete stop.

When I have disengaged from 4H or 4L, I reverse a bit at first then go forward. May not be needed but I learned this from driving my father's 4x4 chev from years ago.

Another thing, in my opinion, it's important to regularly put your vehicle in 4L and 4H to keep it loose. Take it out on a dirt road and let her stretch her legs for a bit. All too often, folks will reach down to shift and nothing happens as everything is seized up and then you are in a pickle.

I have driven quite a few 4x4's over the years and have found my JKU to be amazing. I honestly think the 4L could allow you to climb a tree and park if need be!:)

Con Artist 01-06-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maritimer (Post 3189606)
I have a standard and I shift in neutral and at a complete stop regardless of engaging or disengaging. Shift from 2H to 4H is a piece of cake but the 4L can be difficult at times. If I had an automatic, I would still shift from a complete stop.

When I have disengaged from 4H or 4L, I reverse a bit at first then go forward. May not be needed but I learned this from driving my father's 4x4 chev from years ago.

Another thing, in my opinion, it's important to regularly put your vehicle in 4L and 4H to keep it loose. Take it out on a dirt road and let her stretch her legs for a bit. All too often, folks will reach down to shift and nothing happens as everything is seized up and then you are in a pickle.

I have driven quite a few 4x4's over the years and have found my JKU to be amazing. I honestly think the 4L could allow you to climb a tree and park if need be!:)

My 4L is very difficult to shift into. Why would it just "get easier?" I mean, over time my manual has not become any easier or more difficult to shift, and any automatic I've ever driven had stayed the same in terms of operation.

Maritimer 01-06-2013 10:39 AM

I'm not sure, Con Artist. I have a 10 JKU Sport and have found it difficult at times to shift to 4L while others, it slid right in.

kdude 01-06-2013 11:18 AM

I hope one of the moderators pics up on this thread and does a poll on this subject.

I'm curious to know how many of us jeeps has trouble with the low gear switch...

Con Artist 01-06-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maritimer (Post 3189634)
I'm not sure, Con Artist. I have a 10 JKU Sport and have found it difficult at times to shift to 4L while others, it slid right in.

The biggest "issue" I found once in 4L is that when shifting, I get that "gear scratching." I was on the trails with a few other people with 2012 Rubicons and they mentioned the same. I guess it's "normal?" :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdude (Post 3189736)
I hope one of the moderators pics up on this thread and does a poll on this subject.

I'm curious to know how many of us jeeps has trouble with the low gear switch...

You and me, both!

Moabite 01-06-2013 12:35 PM

To expand just a bit on my above post, gear noise is normal when shifting into 4L. It appears to be a Jeep thing. And videos from Jeep state that "gear noise is normal" when shifting into 4L. I think the problem most folks have is that they stop as soon as they hear gears grinding and try to finesse it in. That just makes it worse. Even the owner's manual states to shift "firmly."

Here's the Jeep Channel vid that says gear noise is normal...if I remember right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JHRh_BrLTKk

kdude 01-06-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Con Artist (Post 3189752)
The biggest "issue" I found once in 4L is that when shifting, I get that "gear scratching." I was on the trails with a few other people with 2012 Rubicons and they mentioned the same. I guess it's "normal?" :confused:



You and me, both!


^CA... Scratching is acutually grinding and trust me grinding is only good if your with a hot chick, other than that its eatting the teeth of the tranny ..

Con Artist 01-06-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdude (Post 3191918)
^CA... Scratching is acutually grinding and trust me grinding is only good if your with a hot chick, other than that its eatting the teeth of the tranny ..

Kinda what I figured. Even in 2H I get some "scratching" while shifting between first and second gears. It doesn't matter how "easy" I shift. I may need to get this looked at.

kdude 01-06-2013 09:20 PM

Question to the group...

What happens if your not in 4wdL and you cannot get the jeep to move but you still need the extra torque (lack of a better word)

Eg. I'm parked and there is a huge snow storm. The snow clearing trucks plow the snow and builds a two foot wall of snow blocking a way out of the parking spot ..

How the heck do you get in low gear?

RoadiJeff 01-07-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdude (Post 3191974)
Eg. I'm parked and there is a huge snow storm. The snow clearing trucks plow the snow and builds a two foot wall of snow blocking a way out of the parking spot ..

How the heck do you get in low gear?

Would you even need 4L in that instance? I thought 4L was for hill climbing and such. 4H should provide enough traction to get over a 2 ft pile of snow.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.