Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Breather Element? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/breather-element-209188.html)

RandomYJguy 01-02-2013 11:25 PM

Breather Element?
 
I have an 89 with the 2.5l. On the top of the valve cover is the PCV and what i believe is a breather element?? What is the purpose of that element? I "THINK" ive seen people who have what "LOOKS" like an air filter? Im just looking to replace that, since i have oil leaking out of that area. But nobody has the part for me :( where can i find it?! Or is there a different option for me?!

Thanks for everything guys,

Eric

RednekYJ 01-03-2013 05:14 AM

CCTV valve

RednekYJ 01-03-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RednekYJ
CCTV valve

Not CCTV sorry CCV crankcase vent

RednekYJ 01-03-2013 05:22 AM

CCV not CCTV sorry. It's a crankcase vent

harleydragon 01-03-2013 07:44 AM

pcv is the old term for that item.." Positive Crankcase Ventilation"..it hooks to your intake so that there is a vacuum on this hose.it keeps pressure from building up in the engine and reduces oil leaks..the other hose on the valve cover is sometimes replaced with a filter..either will work

RandomYJguy 01-03-2013 09:08 AM

PCV is the old term...? Im 18 yrs old and thats all ive ever heard it called. That one is in the front. The other is that breather element i assume? I mean, does anyone know where to pick one up? Ive gone to several places and they dont have a listing for it? Where would you get that filter?

*the ccv prevents oil leaks? well mine is shot then... lol. Oil is constantly coming out of either that or the oil cap...*

harleydragon 01-03-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomYJguy (Post 3176824)
PCV is the old term...? Im 18 yrs old and thats all ive ever heard it called. That one is in the front. The other is that breather element i assume? I mean, does anyone know where to pick one up? Ive gone to several places and they dont have a listing for it? Where would you get that filter?

*the ccv prevents oil leaks? well mine is shot then... lol. Oil is constantly coming out of either that or the oil cap...*

yeah,thats what I have always heard it called too..check and see if it has vacuum on it..sometimes it gets stuck or the hose or the fitting the hose fits on gets stopped up..if you are not getting vaccum at your pcv then it does tend to blow out of the vent hose..many of the older motors used a pop in vent filter that would work.later models ( and yours) used just a hose that went to the air filter housing

Yowie 01-04-2013 04:55 AM

I just remieded the same problem - take off the valve cover - inside the valve cover are two baffles - remove the three screws on each baflle and disassemble them - I can guarantee you the one up front that has the smaller vacuum line coming from it is clogged up with gunk. Clean everything up and put back together - your oil leak will be solved and you will have vaccuum on the rear line - which is also supposed to be hooked up to your airbox so you have filtered air running thru the valve cover and venting out the front vaccuum into the intake

Srbeezer 05-26-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomYJguy (Post 3175742)
I have an 89 with the 2.5l. On the top of the valve cover is the PCV and what i believe is a breather element?? What is the purpose of that element? I "THINK" ive seen people who have what "LOOKS" like an air filter? Im just looking to replace that, since i have oil leaking out of that area. But nobody has the part for me :( where can i find it?! Or is there a different option for me?!

Thanks for everything guys,

Eric

Did you find this part? If so can you tell me where you got it and the part number please!!!! I can't find it anywhere. I keep getting the PVC front valve not yhe CCV Breather back valve. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

RandomYJguy 05-26-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srbeezer (Post 3794305)
Did you find this part? If so can you tell me where you got it and the part number please!!!! I can't find it anywhere. I keep getting the PVC front valve not yhe CCV Breather back valve. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

No I never did find the correct part number for the replacement. What I did end up doing was buying an aftermarket piece from a parts place. I went with Advanced Auto, OReillys has it also. It pretty much looks like a small chrome bowl. I will try and find a part number later or something for you, make it easier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.