Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Bottle jack HELP!!!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/bottle-jack-help-209315.html)

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 04:05 PM

Bottle jack HELP!!!!!
 
Ok so I put the bottle jack under the axel and then put the rod in and twist. Well ounce it's actually lifting its to hard to twist any more. WTF what am I supposed to do?

jeff_in_rc 01-03-2013 04:51 PM

I would set it up on the bench and work it with no load to see if it will run all the way up before anything else. Sounds like it is binding or needs to be lubed. Is it the OEM jack or did you get it somewhere else?

Cons_Table 01-03-2013 05:03 PM

What exactly are you "twisting" on a bottle jack? :confused: All the bottle jacks I have seen, you put the rod in and pump up and down...no twisting involved except for unscrewing the "pad" to make the jack longer. Unless the factory jacks are different.

coolbreeze 01-03-2013 05:03 PM

Get yourself a decent jack and a pair of jack stands. Good luck.

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table
What exactly are you "twisting" on a bottle jack? :confused: All the bottle jacks I have seen, you put the rod in and pump up and down...no twisting involved except for unscrewing the "pad" to make the jack longer. Unless the factory jacks are different.

There is no pump

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc
I would set it up on the bench and work it with no load to see if it will run all the way up before anything else. Sounds like it is binding or needs to be lubed. Is it the OEM jack or did you get it somewhere else?

It is a OEM jack

Cons_Table 01-03-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3178524)
There is no pump

Interesting. My jeep didn't come with a jack, so thats news to me. How does it work when not under load?

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table

Interesting. My jeep didn't come with a jack, so thats news to me. How does it work when not under load?

You put the rod in it and twist. I'm begging to think its a piss of shit though because I can't find any videos on how to use the damn thing.

DrewG 01-03-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3178524)
There is no pump

That's how mine looks. Wish I could help, I have never used that thing....hope it works. :hide:

jeff_in_rc 01-03-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3178549)
You put the rod in it and twist. I'm begging to think its a piss of shit though because I can't find any videos on how to use the damn thing.

Does it work with no load?

jeff_in_rc 01-03-2013 05:22 PM

I have something like that for my Chevy truck and it has a long 3 part handle, 2 long pieces fit into the jack and one sits sideways on them to make the handle and you twist it to make it go up or down. Do you have the handle pieces??

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc
I have something like that for my Chevy truck and it has a long 3 part handle, 2 long pieces fit into the jack and one sits sideways on them to make the handle and you twist it to make it go up or down. Do you have the handle pieces??

No I don't :(

coolbreeze 01-03-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3178524)
There is no pump

Your pic shows it fully extended...........

jeff_in_rc 01-03-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3178676)
No I don't :(

If you know what car/truck the jack came from then you could to go a junkyard to see if you could find the other parts.

Or you could just to go your local auto parts store and buy a bottle jack, they are not that expensive. Your call.

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc

If you know what car/truck the jack came from then you could to go a junkyard to see if you could find the other parts.

Or you could just to go your local auto parts store and buy a bottle jack, they are not that expensive. Your call.

Ok thanks

Crazyflyingplastics 01-03-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbreeze (Post 3178682)
Your pic shows it fully extended...........

If that is the oem jack, it is not fully extended in that pic.

coolbreeze 01-03-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyflyingplastics (Post 3178788)
If that is the oem jack, it is not fully extended in that pic.

OK, how much jack is left?

Crazyflyingplastics 01-03-2013 06:20 PM

I can't post pics form my iPad right now, but here is a link. There is a pic in there posted by Jerry of the oem. Take a look, it extends much more. It's a thread that was started by the op of this thread.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/powe...nd-203821.html

GoldenSahara00 01-03-2013 06:26 PM

The stock rods have one that goes into the notch on the turning knob, and another that goes through that to make it like a T handle to put more torque on it to turn it. There is also one (in my kit) that lets you use a 3/8th ratchet I believe. Pics of what you are using to turn it? You could try using something else around the garage. You gota be resourceful man.

whiteyj 01-03-2013 06:30 PM

I carry some blocking to crib up the jack to minimize the gap prior to even starting to jack it up.

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyflyingplastics
I can't post pics form my iPad right now, but here is a link. There is a pic in there posted by Jerry of the oem. Take a look, it extends much more. It's a thread that was started by the op of this thread.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/powe...nd-203821.html

I bought that power built jack but it has not came in yet :(

Michigunman 01-03-2013 06:51 PM

The rest of the "crank" is not stored under the seat with the jack. Its next to the passenger seat Velcro'd to the floor under the door sill. Do you not have that part? And the jack telescopes. There is an entire section that is not shown in that picture.

GoldenSahara00 01-03-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigunman (Post 3179043)
The rest of the "crank" is not stored under the seat with the jack. Its next to the passenger seat Velcro'd to the floor under the door sill. Do you not have that part? And the jack telescopes. There is an entire section that is not shown in that picture.

Bingo

Michigunman 01-03-2013 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's dark but here is a quick pic of my daughters '06.

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigunman
It's dark but here is a quick pic of my daughters '06.

Right the 2 rods came out of there. I thought there was a 3rd one though? And how do the pieces fit together?

Michigunman 01-03-2013 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The third piece is the lug wrench which is under the seat.

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigunman
The third piece is the lug wrench which is under the seat.

I love you. Thanks so much

coolbreeze 01-03-2013 07:22 PM

You don't have an owner's manual?

IWANNAOFFROAD 01-03-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbreeze
You don't have an owner's manual?

Nope :(

coolbreeze 01-04-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWANNAOFFROAD (Post 3179743)
Nope :(

Check this out My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road


Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Your pic shows it fully extended...........
If that is the oem jack, it is not fully extended in that pic.

I stand corrected Crazyflyingplastics. Thanks :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.