Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New User, Winch Sales, and Equipment Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-user-winch-sales-and-equipment-question-20983.html)

ATL Rubi 08-27-2008 03:50 PM

New User, Winch Sales, and Equipment Question

After 5 months of looking, I finally graduated my Ford up to a '04 Rubicon. Now I won't get stuck (as much) in the red Georgia clay.

Got a great deal from The Preowned Store, GA Dealer Used Cars - Home in Carterville, GA - Brittain hooked me up and got me really nice 2004 Patriot Blue Rubicon with 66,000 miles for less than I could find one ebay, craigslist, stealerships, etc. He goes though about 100 wranglers a month, so act fast if you really love one.

Anyways, I have been looking at winches:

Winch Depot will have the SmittyBilt XRC8 with rollerhead fairlead and FREE mounting plate sometime in the next couple weeks for 314.99 + 9.99 shipping.

Costco has a Mile Marker PE8000 for 369.99 with free shipping. Includes roller fairlead.

And 4wd.com has the Warn M8000 for 499.99 with the roller fairlead and free shipping.

I am leaning towards the SmittyBilt, although this looks like a good deal on the Warn Winch, because I would like to keep my extra $200. Not rockcrawling and who really cares how fast it goes when you are occasionally pulling out of the mud.

Do you guys have a "goto" place to get all of your gear. I am looking to go on some trail rides with a yet to be determined jeep club and they all require CB radio, 20,000lb straps, fire extinguisher, rear bumper hooks etc... Just trying to find the best prices on safe, reliable equipment.

What is the downfall to attaching your winch to the factory bumper? I really don't see it just ripping off, especially if that is where they put the tow hooks. Does anybody make a stinger or something to protect the winch that attaches to the factory bumper or the frame behind it?

4Jeepn 08-27-2008 04:58 PM

welcome. I like warn winches myself. You will need a winch plate to attach to the front frame of the jeep above the bumper. Also make sure you have a good winch kit, tree strap, d-ring clevis etc..costs a bit, but so worth it when you miles from home and its getting dark out.

Unlimited 08-27-2008 05:30 PM

I got the Mile Marker PE8000 from Costco on-line for 339.99 ($30 off) with free shipping and the roller fairlead. I used it to rescue a very tricked out WJ and it worked great. I like the fact that if it breaks anytime in the next few years, I can take it down to the local Costco and get my money back.

nicolas-eric 08-27-2008 06:20 PM

If there is no need for a very fast winch and you donīt have a problem with a winch thatīs a bit louder, go with teh smittybilt winch.

I donīt know what kind of wheeling you want do do. On rocks a 8k winch is really enough for a TJ. In very tough and deep mud itīs sometimes not enough.
A friend needs to use a snatch blocjk in some situations with his warn M8000 because the winch wasnīt powerful enough. On the same places I never had a problem with my 12k winch.

GrnTJ 08-27-2008 06:30 PM

Id suggest warn because you cant go wrong with one of those. They have a super solid reputation and I have always had great luck with mine. I have owned three different Warn models, a warn 8274 being my most current. So far that has been my favorite, if nothing else, for the sheer fact its the fastest production model 8K winch on the market. But my last one was an M8000 and I sold it with my old rig. That was a great winch, good line speed, pulled strong, amperage draw was decent. Its deff. a good winch for the $$ and I would its your best bet out of those 3 if you can spend the little extra. You wont be dissapointed.