Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   My iPad mini head unit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-ipad-mini-head-unit-210062.html)

Olsen185 01-06-2013 09:02 PM

My iPad mini head unit

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...7fb73262ed.jpg

Over the past few weeks I've been busy making a mount for my iPad mini. I've gone through quite a few prototypes to get it perfect. The iPad mounts from the back then plugs into my radio (cheap jvc replacement). The iPad mount is attached to the dash with a screw up top and two screws near the stock radio opening (not in the face of the dash, but in a plastic support piece). The final mold includes a recess on the top to hide the screw cover (the prototype is pictured without the recess).

The design can be altered to allow the iPad to slide in and out, and can also be altered to accommodate a full sized iPad.

ShaunWV 01-06-2013 09:16 PM

That's pretty slick. I was just talking to my wife the other day about how cool it would be to put a mini in the Jeep.

cphilip 01-06-2013 09:16 PM

Thats interesting. Are you connected to the internet with a 4G unit or just using as a stand alone interface? Or perhaps have it Tethered to your phone?

TrueBlueJK 01-06-2013 09:18 PM

Looks cool, but I think the uconnect feature is more valuable to me than having an iPad in the dash. Nice job though!

Olsen185 01-06-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cphilip (Post 3191954)
Thats interesting. Are you connected to the internet with a 4G unit or just using as a stand alone interface? Or perhaps have it Tethered to your phone?

I have it hooked up to 4g so I can use pandora, maps, and everything else. Tethering would also work but I don't have it available with my plan.

kramer2k 01-06-2013 09:20 PM

That's very cool. Where do you have the JVC unit mounted?

Olsen185 01-06-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3191978)
That's very cool. Where do you have the JVC unit mounted?

Behind it

37Olivestreetbrews 01-06-2013 09:23 PM

You must use up tons of data if you stream pandora during your commute. I'd love to stream my pandora station in my car if AT&T didn't make it so expensive.

cphilip 01-06-2013 09:29 PM

I am surprised that some Manufacturer hasn't already incorporated one into a vehicle yet. And negotiated a plan or something for the device. You would think someone like VW or BMW/Mini would lead the way on that sort of thing.

kramer2k 01-06-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews (Post 3191998)
You must use up tons of data if you stream pandora during your commute. I'd love to stream my pandora station in my car if AT&T didn't make it so expensive.

I pretty much use Pandora exclusively on my commutes to/from work. I occasionally listen to podcasts in the morning, but the afternoon commute is always Pandora. I've never breached the 2.5 GB limit, and I rarely break the 2GB limit. I'm grandfathered on an "unlimited" data plan, so I don't worry about it, but I'd still be safe even if I was limited.

ridetime 01-06-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olsen185 (Post 3191875)
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...7fb73262ed.jpg

Over the past few weeks I've been busy making a mount for my iPad mini. I've gone through quite a few prototypes to get it perfect. The iPad mounts from the back then plugs into my radio (cheap jvc replacement). The iPad mount is attached to the dash with a screw up top and two screws near the stock radio opening (not in the face of the dash, but in a plastic support piece). The final mold includes a recess on the top to hide the screw cover (the prototype is pictured without the recess).

The design can be altered to allow the iPad to slide in and out, and can also be altered to accommodate a full sized iPad.

Do you have any theft concerns? A broken window and a stolen iPad could make for a bummer day. It does look cool though.

jkucod12 01-06-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3192053)
I pretty much use Pandora exclusively on my commutes to/from work. I occasionally listen to podcasts in the morning, but the afternoon commute is always Pandora. I've never breached the 2.5 GB limit, and I rarely break the 2GB limit. I'm grandfathered on an "unlimited" data plan, so I don't worry about it, but I'd still be safe even if I was limited.

Are you with ATT?

kramer2k 01-06-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkucod12 (Post 3192084)
Are you with ATT?

Yessir. :thumb:

And, as much as it pains me to say it, I have been since high school. :hide: My parents gave me an "emergency-only" cell phone that was with Bellsouth, then Cingular bought them, then it became AT&T. It's been 14 years now and I haven't ever had a different carrier. They should be giving me things and put me on the payroll! :surrender:

Olsen185 01-06-2013 09:49 PM

Yeah I was gonna say that it hasn't been too bad data wise.

As far as my setup, I have a JVC Kd-x50bt head unit ($80) which I control with my steering wheel buttons (via a PAC wiring harness). The jvc unit has two USB ports, Bluetooth, and of course am/fm radio.

Olsen185 01-06-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridetime (Post 3192074)
Do you have any theft concerns? A broken window and a stolen iPad could make for a bummer day. It does look cool though.

That's why I hard mounted mine, less of a concern. Nothing on it screams "iPad" to anyone outside my jeep, the screen is black when the jeep is parked.

dalearyous 01-06-2013 09:57 PM

seriously? could you take some more pictures? a very dark shot from the front hardly shows what you did.

Olsen185 01-06-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalearyous (Post 3192183)
seriously? could you take some more pictures? a very dark shot from the front hardly shows what you did.

Yeah I'll take some better ones when I pull the final one from the mold

jkucod12 01-06-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3192102)
Yessir. :thumb:

And, as much as it pains me to say it, I have been since high school. :hide: My parents gave me an "emergency-only" cell phone that was with Bellsouth, then Cingular bought them, then it became AT&T. It's been 14 years now and I haven't ever had a different carrier. They should be giving me things and put me on the payroll! :surrender:

Same here ATT. treat me like a 5 star customer… Never a problem… no hook up fees of any kind…. and all the data is free…

allblackedout 01-06-2013 11:05 PM

awsome man thats really well done

mflint1513 01-06-2013 11:34 PM

Good stuff. Just curious how it drives at night. With the brightness even when dimmed down being that bright, night driving seems like it would be distracting.

Olsen185 01-06-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allblackedout (Post 3192583)
awsome man thats really well done

Thanks!

Quote:

mflint1513 Good stuff. Just curious how it drives at night. With the brightness even when dimmed down being that bright, night driving seems like it would be distracting.
It's no better/ worse then any other double din radio. It can be turned all the way down, or off if needed.

truthiness 01-07-2013 12:37 AM

ProClip makes awesome mounts. They have several flavors available for the iPad mini. I have the iPhone mount and it's rock solid. Tablet Mounts*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

Olsen185 01-07-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthiness (Post 3193058)
ProClip makes awesome mounts. They have several flavors available for the iPad mini. I have the iPhone mount and it's rock solid. Tablet Mounts*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

But none of those clips offer the "built in" look I was going for.

Matador 01-07-2013 08:27 AM

I'm curious to see more photos from different angles. Also how to do you interact with the JVC head unit? to turn it on/off change radio etc.

Snowren24 01-07-2013 08:30 AM

that's pretty sweet. Until now I didn't see the need for the ipad mini to exist.

mflint1513 01-07-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olsen185

It's no better/ worse then any other double din radio. It can be turned all the way down, or off if needed.

Are you going to make a few of these and sell them on eBay?

Olsen185 01-07-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mflint1513 (Post 3193986)
Are you going to make a few of these and sell them on eBay?

That was the hope, but they are proving pretty difficult to get perfect without tons of work. I have one additional one close to finished, but I'm not sure how many more I'm going to make.

Six 01-07-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cphilip (Post 3192037)
I am surprised that some Manufacturer hasn't already incorporated one into a vehicle yet. And negotiated a plan or something for the device. You would think someone like VW or BMW/Mini would lead the way on that sort of thing.

Or at least a head unit manufacture that included a capacitive touch glass screen with higher resolution than the current crappy screens out there. I got a Kenwood double din DVD unit and for the price, it should look as good as an iPad and not like an old tube TV.

Olsen185 01-08-2013 02:00 PM

Here are a couple more pictures

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...e92d11c11a.jpg

radio mounted behind the iPad
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...e32f955f35.jpg

This shows the piece of plexiglas which I holding the iPad in place. I used a roll of tool drawer liner to protect the iPad and to keep it from moving side to side.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...fcceb19bfa.jpg

Kind of hard to tell but this picture is the back of the dash and it shows how the piece is attached. A nut/bolt go through the top of the piece (through an existing screw hole) and two screws into the plastic reinforcement pieces behind the dash hold the bottom in place.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...18d1c524fb.jpg

AeroSynch 01-08-2013 04:15 PM

Very nice! Definitely want an iPad Mini now.