Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Adjustable Controll Arm Installation (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/adjustable-controll-arm-installation-210490.html)

TripleNickle 01-08-2013 04:35 PM

Adjustable Controll Arm Installation

I just picked up a complete set of pre-owned rough county x flex control arms from a member( I know they are no currie lol). I could not pass up the deal. My question is:

I have a 2-3" lift ( not sure last owner installed it). Should I adjust the control arm to factory length? Or how long should I make them. They are currently adjusted to the 4" of lift length from the previous rig. Is there other items I should be careful about when replacing the factory control arms. Seem pretty cut and dry. Just dont want to open up a can or worms.

TripleNickle 01-08-2013 10:39 PM

No body has any insight?

_KONG_ 01-08-2013 10:52 PM

Adjust them so your axles are square to the frame, your wheelbase where it needs to be, and your pinion angles where they need to be

TripleNickle 01-08-2013 11:00 PM

Any idea on what those measurements should be?

JReed615 01-08-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _KONG_
Adjust them so your axles are square to the frame, your wheelbase where it needs to be, and your pinion angles where they need to be

Your post is about as helpful as mine, lol.

UnlimitedLJ04 01-08-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleNickle (Post 3200590)
how long should I make them.

Set the fronts to get the appropriate caster for your desired drive-ability at ride height, and so the bumpstops line up at full bump, without pushing the track bar into the diff or creating steering component clearance issues. Don't forgot you may need a toe-in alignment after setting caster.

Set the rears so the bumpstops line up without pushing the diff into the gas tank or creating tire clearance issues on the fenderwells at full bump, and so the pinion angle is appropriate at ride height for the type of driveshaft you have.

TripleNickle 01-08-2013 11:04 PM

Thats what I was thinking, lol, make sure everything is perfect and you have no issues. I do appreciate him atleast trying to help. Some one has to know something that can actually help me.

UnlimitedLJ04 01-08-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleNickle (Post 3202466)
Thats what I was thinking, lol, make sure everything is perfect and you have no issues. I do appreciate him atleast trying to help. Some one has to know something that can actually help me.

see my previous post. If you don't understand the terminology, do some research so it makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3202462)
Set the fronts to get the appropriate caster for your desired drive-ability at ride height, and so the bumpstops line up at full bump, without pushing the track bar into the diff or creating steering component clearance issues. Don't forgot you may need a toe-in alignment after setting caster.

Set the rears so the bumpstops line up without pushing the diff into the gas tank or creating tire clearance issues on the fenderwells at full bump, and so the pinion angle is appropriate at ride height for the type of driveshaft you have.

TripleNickle 01-08-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3202462)

If I make sure they are the same length from bolt hole to bolt hole as the factory then I should have no issues correct? But if I do this I could be loosing a little bit of articulation correct?