Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Best suspension for max travel? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/best-suspension-for-max-travel-210504.html)

ApDubzz 01-08-2013 05:27 PM

Best suspension for max travel?
 
Hey guys,

i was just wondering what the best suspension set up would be for the most amount of travle on my 2000 tj, ive got a 4'' rough country lift and 2'' body lift now but i want a lot of clearence but not so much it looks stupid because its my DD and i want an insane amount of travel front and rear. do i need to cutom make it or are there kits out there? and also while i have your attention, does anyone suggest aftermarket axles and housings? mine are still stock with lockers and lower gears, thanks (want a rock crawler mixxed with a DD but mainly rock crawler)

Crazyflyingplastics 01-08-2013 05:59 PM

Get some sway bar disconnects

_KONG_ 01-08-2013 07:34 PM

What do you consider an "insane amount of travel"?

ApDubzz 01-08-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _KONG_ (Post 3201367)
What do you consider an "insane amount of travel"?


well i would like to be able to crawl on top of a 38'' tire on another jeep with one of the front tires of mine and keep all wheels on the ground

BLK00TJ 01-08-2013 07:59 PM

Coilovers and deep pockets

UnlimitedLJ04 01-08-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3201491)
well i would like to be able to crawl on top of a 38'' tire on another jeep with one of the front tires of mine and keep all wheels on the ground

this should do it....

http://www.justaddrocks.com/images/j...p/DSC_5889.JPG

more pics: Jon's Jeep

the specs from the guy that built it:
Everyone is a critic, critique this one. ;) - JeepForum.com

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing well over $30k in that Jeep...

ApDubzz 01-08-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 3201521)
Coilovers and deep pockets

1. how do i look at your pictures? and 2 im thinking smitty built flat fenders in the front and cut the back panel out with the xrc armor, what kind of coil overs too?

ApDubzz 01-08-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3201560)

\are those king shocks? and i need a daily driver!!

UnlimitedLJ04 01-08-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3201582)
\are those king shocks? and i need a daily driver!!

so add doors and a top...

as for the shocks....they aren't shocks, they are coilovers....why don't you read the specs I linked?

ApDubzz 01-08-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3201587)
so add doors and a top...

as for the shocks....they aren't shocks, they are coilovers....why don't you read the specs I linked?

i meant coilovers -_- and i also didnt see the link -_-

_KONG_ 01-08-2013 10:25 PM

If you want to show off to your buddies buy long shocks, brake lines and arms. If you want to set up a nice performing suspension, you have a lot of research to do

408jeeper 01-09-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz
Hey guys,

i was just wondering what the best suspension set up would be for the most amount of travle on my 2000 tj, ive got a 4'' rough country lift and 2'' body lift now but i want a lot of clearence but not so much it looks stupid because its my DD and i want an insane amount of travel front and rear. do i need to cutom make it or are there kits out there? and also while i have your attention, does anyone suggest aftermarket axles and housings? mine are still stock with lockers and lower gears, thanks (want a rock crawler mixxed with a DD but mainly rock crawler)

How much more do you want. Sounds like you already have 6" of lift. What tires do you want to put in? It's not going to be cheap

TnDz TJ 01-09-2013 06:24 AM

Here is a poser pic I did on a 36" wall with 33's.... you want more than this?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...3/dsc03310.jpg

97flexy 01-09-2013 07:11 AM

I have 14" of travel per tire... but thats after 2000+hours of work and A LOT of money, ask my wife she'll tell you I got too many hours my heep.

Imped 01-09-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _KONG_ (Post 3202301)
If you want to set up a nice performing suspension, you have a lot of research to do

This couldn't be quoted enough times.

You have a massive amount of research to do. And honestly, your reasoning to justify this kind of travel is just stupid.

Get learning:
Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

Here's a few good build threads that you should read. None of those rigs have over 12" travel shocks and all have thousands of hours and many thousands of dollars into them.
Music City Flop Project - JeepForum.com
The Pumpkinator's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
'rock crawling go-cart' or something - JeepForum.com

And if that's not good enough for you, here you go.
Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps thread - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

You should literally have enough content from this post to last you over a year. Learn up and report back to this thread, I bet your preferences change quite a bit. You're far overstating the importance of 'max travel' and aren't even considering what's truly important.

ApDubzz 01-09-2013 04:14 PM

perfect
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnDz TJ (Post 3203281)
Here is a poser pic I did on a 36" wall with 33's.... you want more than this?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...3/dsc03310.jpg

this is perfect, the exact setup will be exactly what i want, i dont want too much and this is just right.

ApDubzz 01-09-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 3203558)
This couldn't be quoted enough times.

You have a massive amount of research to do. And honestly, your reasoning to justify this kind of travel is just stupid.

Get learning:
Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

Here's a few good build threads that you should read. None of those rigs have over 12" travel shocks and all have thousands of hours and many thousands of dollars into them.
Music City Flop Project - JeepForum.com
The Pumpkinator's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
'rock crawling go-cart' or something - JeepForum.com

And if that's not good enough for you, here you go.
Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps thread - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

You should literally have enough content from this post to last you over a year. Learn up and report back to this thread, I bet your preferences change quite a bit. You're far overstating the importance of 'max travel' and aren't even considering what's truly important.

i really appreciate it, and what do you mean my logic is stupid? just curious

Dextreme 01-09-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3200785)
i want an insane amount of travel front and rear.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3200785)
this is perfect, the exact setup will be exactly what i want, i dont want too much and this is just right.

Do you argue with yourself very often? :rofl:

ApDubzz 01-09-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3205587)
Do you argue with yourself very often? :rofl:

haha i was talking about the red jeep's suspension!

Dextreme 01-09-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3205614)
haha i was talking about the red jeep's suspension!


Have your ever disconnected your front swaybar links to see how much flex you can achieve with your current lift/shocks?

ApDubzz 01-09-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3205694)
Have your ever disconnected your front swaybar links to see how much flex you can achieve with your current lift/shocks?

no i havent, its the standard rough country 4'' lift

TJspeed 01-09-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3205522)
this is perfect, the exact setup will be exactly what i want, i dont want too much and this is just right.

I can do the same with stock arms a 2" BB and a 1.25" body lift with the sway bar disco'd on 33's

TJspeed 01-09-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3205714)
no i havent, its the standard rough country 4'' lift

Get yourself a set of JKS quick disconnects and see what happens. :D

TJspeed 01-09-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3205587)
Do you argue with yourself very often? :rofl:

:rofl:

ApDubzz 01-09-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TnDz TJ (Post 3203281)
Here is a poser pic I did on a 36" wall with 33's.... you want more than this?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...3/dsc03310.jpg

what do you have done to your suspension?

_KONG_ 01-09-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3206170)
what do you have done to your suspension?

He disconnected his front sway bar like everyone keeps telling you

ApDubzz 01-09-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _KONG_ (Post 3206367)
He disconnected his front sway bar like everyone keeps telling you

yeah i see that but can any suspension do thatt with a disconnected sway bar? and if they can whats the point of 3 thousand dollar suspension kits and a 400 dollar kit with 200 dollar sway bar links?

BLK00TJ 01-09-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3206451)
yeah i see that but can any suspension do thatt with a disconnected sway bar? and if they can whats the point of 3 thousand dollar suspension kits and a 400 dollar kit with 200 dollar sway bar links?

NO you can't. If you were to try that you will likely rip your control arm mounts off the frame because RC CAs have very little flex room. All that torque has no where to go and leads to broken junk. Stock CAs have more flex than RC CAs. Upgrade them to JJs, get some long travel shocks, disconnect your stock swaybar links, and give it a try. You'd be surprised. The high dollar suspension lifts do more than just lift a Jeep up. It's all in the joints of the CAs.

ApDubzz 01-09-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 3206500)
NO you can't. If you were to try that you will likely rip your control arm mounts off the frame because RC CAs have very little flex room. All that torque has no where to go and leads to broken junk. Stock CAs have more flex than RC CAs. Upgrade them to JJs, get some long travel shocks, disconnect your stock swaybar links, and give it a try. You'd be surprised. The high dollar suspension lifts do more than just lift a Jeep up. It's all in the joints of the CAs.

what are "JJ's"? and would it be a good idea to get the long arm kit from rough country and convert my springs and shocks to 14'' king coilovers? or just what shocks do you suggest?

Moabrubi 01-09-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApDubzz (Post 3206553)
what are "JJ's"? and would it be a good idea to get the long arm kit from rough country and convert my springs and shocks to 14'' king coilovers? or just what shocks do you suggest?

14" coilovers? Are you serious?

Dude, do some research instead of just reading about how awesome 14" king coilovers and long arms are.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.