Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Photos of your JK with the windshield down? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/photos-of-your-jk-with-the-windshield-down-210558.html)

Drummerboy 01-08-2013 07:51 PM

Photos of your JK with the windshield down?

Has anyone here ever put their windshield down? Pros? Cons? I would think that it would ruin your painted bolt heads......?

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/reader...hield-down.jpg

Beastmaster 01-08-2013 08:28 PM

Good luck getting pics on this. Not many people do because it is such a pain:

How to fold The Windshield of a Jeep Wrangler JK - YouTube

kjeeper10 01-08-2013 08:34 PM

X2 ^

kramer2k 01-08-2013 08:41 PM

This could be an entertaining thread. :popcorn:

I didn't know it took that much to lower until watching that video. :eek:

While I'll never, ever lower mine, I do enjoy seeing it done. Talk about old school!

Matador 01-09-2013 07:36 AM

Its not so much that the process is tedious, its more of an issue getting everything lined up properly to avoid leaks which is close to impossible.

jdambm 01-09-2013 08:33 AM

:dance:PM Moabite for some reason I remember he does some custom stuff to make the process easy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummerboy (Post 3201461)
Has anyone here ever put their windshield down? Pros? Cons? I would think that it would ruin your painted bolt heads......?

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/reader...hield-down.jpg

madax34567 01-09-2013 08:39 AM

The jeep looks so cool with the doors and top off and the windshield down but its such a pain in the ass to put it down

lee indy 01-09-2013 08:41 AM

no desire to ever do this. something about getting hit in the face with road debris doesnt appeal to me. and i prefer being under the roll bar.

madax34567 01-09-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy
no desire to ever do this. something about getting hit in the face with road debris doesnt appeal to me. and i prefer being under the roll bar.

lol, thats also a point

sparky 01-09-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy (Post 3203746)

No different than riding a bike.

Mentat Bashar 01-09-2013 10:37 AM

Wow, there's not much left when you take everything off!

panthermark 01-09-2013 10:54 AM

There is a thread or two on it already. That "drawing" is from a very low angle. It actually looks worse from higher angles because of the sligh curve of the hood/windshield.

Too much work for too little benefit for a mall crawling DD.

bengen1 01-09-2013 11:07 AM

Attachment 196199

Attachment 196200

lee indy 01-09-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 3204160)
No different than riding a bike.

have one of those. but i wear a helmet. jeep + helmet = GAY:whistling:

Blackpony04 01-09-2013 11:21 AM

I have to admit that I do not see the point considering what you get for the effort. What a pain and the Jeep kind of looks a little demented too. :eek:

cozmo2312 01-09-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy (Post 3204296)
have one of those. but i wear a helmet. jeep + helmet = GAY:whistling:

lol, this.

JKralph 01-09-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04
I have to admit that I do not see the point considering what you get for the effort. What a pain and the Jeep kind of looks a little demented too. :eek:

It looks better with a full roll cage installed, but i agree, looks kinda strange

Lotrat 01-09-2013 11:30 AM

If no one puts down their windsheild, then how do you know it will leak when you put it back up? I think it's just Jeep urban legend.

Mcrock 01-09-2013 12:22 PM

Many years ago I did it once in my CJ7. I emphasize once!!!
If not properly lashed to the hood and/or your hood hold downs have any give at all, say goodby to the windshield.
How do I know?

Not to mention the ass ache of raising and lowering

But go for it. Learn by doing

ztman 01-09-2013 12:32 PM

Wow, what a pain. I wouldnt go through the effort. I had an old CJ once that you could lower the windshield in about ten seconds. Only did it once, thought it was cool until i started picking bugs out of my teeth

Mcrock 01-09-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztman
Wow, what a pain. I wouldnt go through the effort. I had an old CJ once that you could lower the windshield in about ten seconds. Only did it once, thought it was cool until i started picking bugs out of my teeth

Oh yah. It's been so long I forgot about the bug thing. Add that to my post

2five22 01-09-2013 01:12 PM

Used to do it occasionally, but I used to ride motorcycles, so road debris, bugs, cigarette butts, etc. are nothing new.

2five22 01-09-2013 01:17 PM

Electronical? Heh, heh.

CampThree1982 01-09-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy (Post 3203746)

I have two motorcycles that give me all the wind in my face that I could ever ask for. No way would I ever consider lowering mine, I just can't see when this would be advantageous.

Moabite 01-09-2013 02:59 PM

I've been in "folding windshield" threads before and have found it to be aggravating and pretty much a waste of time. Regardless, I'll make one short post in this one and will not come back. One of the first things I do when I hit most trailheads is drop the windshield. My '03 TJ was modified so I could drop the windshield in less than a minute. I told Jeep reps at the Safari every year since the JK was introduced that I would never buy one because they had made it so hard to drop the windshield. Well...I bought one and, as soon as it warms up, I will be doing some modifications to make it less of a hassle to fold the windshield. Anyone who does not see the advantage to dropping the windshield on the trail has simply never done it...and that includes the jeep engineers who decided to significantly lower the fun factor of the Wrangler.

Sjeupie 01-09-2013 03:46 PM

Hmm...the whole idea of the dropping windshield was to make a jeep lower in oder to cross certain obstacles. This is also why you see on certain Willies a 'pole' in the front of the Jeep: to cut on the road tensioned wires and therefore protect the driver.
With the windshield down on a JK but the rollbar being in its original place, this main advantage is gone.
I have indeed never lowered the windshield on a trail and it may indeed be very handy and fun. But, on a trail I have got an increased probability to have a rollover as well and in that case I definitely prefer to have the windshield up...!

Strange246 01-09-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabite (Post 3205236)
I've been in "folding windshield" threads before and have found it to be aggravating and pretty much a waste of time. Regardless, I'll make one short post in this one and will not come back. One of the first things I do when I hit most trailheads is drop the windshield. My '03 TJ was modified so I could drop the windshield in less than a minute. I told Jeep reps at the Safari every year since the JK was introduced that I would never buy one because they had made it so hard to drop the windshield. Well...I bought one and, as soon as it warms up, I will be doing some modifications to make it less of a hassle to fold the windshield. Anyone who does not see the advantage to dropping the windshield on the trail has simply never done it...and that includes the jeep engineers who decided to significantly lower the fun factor of the Wrangler.

Amen! Be sure to post what you come up with, I used to put the windshield down on my 84 CJ-7 all the time, especially off road...

yellowtailfan 01-09-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampThree1982 (Post 3205145)
I have two motorcycles that give me all the wind in my face that I could ever ask for. No way would I ever consider lowering mine, I just can't see when this would be advantageous.

^^^ what this dude said!

I also have a Harley, 2006 HD FLHXI, and there is a "no helmet law" in Texas. Now that's serious windage. I mean, if you're into that sorta thing. :p Which I am :punk: My 2013 JK windshield will remain in place - upright! That was a heck of a lot of work - but it was very nice of that dude to record it all and share it.

JKCliffDiver 01-09-2013 05:00 PM

Hmm, I'll bite.

I really don't see me doing this one too often. That being said, I will go ahead and try this one once it gets nice again. Mostly just to say I have done it. Then there will probably be a light mount put there to keep me from trying it again ;)

Irongrave 01-09-2013 06:06 PM

After I started wheeling with the window removed I wont go back. It really opens up your field of vision on the trail coupled with a good front cage and dash bar no worries about safety.