Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tow Hooks for Safety Chains? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tow-hooks-for-safety-chains-210660.html)

Mello Mike 01-09-2013 09:58 AM

Tow Hooks for Safety Chains?

Hey guys. I'm getting my TJ ready to flat tow behind my truck camper. My TJ has the stock bumper and I'd like to get a set of tow hooks that I can attach safety chains to. Any recommendations? The OEM style tow hook that bolts to the top bumper and frame seem a bit small. These seem okay for pulling your jeep out of a mud hole but smallish for safety chains. Has anybody used the OEM style tow hook to attach safety chains to?

Jerry Bransford 01-09-2013 10:00 AM

There is far more force placed against tow hooks when used for retrieving a vehicle that is stuck in something like a mud hole than there ever could be by a tow vehicle.

Most tow hooks are rated 10K lbs. or more, that's what I'd go for. Make sure to mount them using only Grade 5 or (better) Grade 8 bolts.

Mello Mike 01-09-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3204025)
There is far more force placed against tow hooks when used for retrieving a vehicle that is stuck in something like a mud hole than there ever could be by a tow vehicle.

Most tow hooks are rated 10K lbs. or more, that's what I'd go for. Make sure to mount them using only Grade 5 or (better) Grade 8 bolts.

Thanks, Jerry. I guess my biggest concern is that there isn't much of a hook for the chain to attach to, the hooks seem kind of shallow but I could be mistaken. I might have to manufacture an aluminum retainer of some kind to keep the chain on the hook while driving.

Justchillin7 01-09-2013 10:18 AM

I didnt go out and look... but i agree that the tow hooks are rated for that, but they are a bit small. I would probably wrap the chain around the bumper? because that bumper is all steel and is obveously rated to pull from the tow hooks. Or even this.... maybe attach it to the tow hooks but also wrap it around the bumper and put a d-ring through it to tie it all together? idk.... just thinking out loud and throwing ideas on the table. Maybe it will make you think of something. Good luck!!

Jerry Bransford 01-09-2013 10:18 AM

That was my worry too. But with any draw bar I've ever seen, they always included points to attach the safety chains to. Yours doesn't? Some 4x4 shops have D-rings that mount on top of the bumper exactly like tow hooks do, you might look for those instead of tow- hooks. Though some tow hooks have spring retainer clips that should work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justchillin7 (Post 3204098)
... I would probably wrap the chain around the bumper?

Bad idea, OE bumpers are little more than sheetmetal.

Dextreme 01-09-2013 10:57 AM

I installed these, but I used grade 8 bolts as I wasn't too sure of the quality of bolts that came with the hooks.

10,000 Lb. Capacity Tow Hook Kit

jebby 01-09-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justchillin7 (Post 3204098)
I didnt go out and look... but i agree that the tow hooks are rated for that, but they are a bit small. I would probably wrap the chain around the bumper? because that bumper is all steel and is obveously rated to pull from the tow hooks. Or even this.... maybe attach it to the tow hooks but also wrap it around the bumper and put a d-ring through it to tie it all together? idk.... just thinking out loud and throwing ideas on the table. Maybe it will make you think of something. Good luck!!

The hooks bolt thru into the frame..... the bumper is NOT a valid anchor point

Mello Mike 01-09-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3204249)
I installed these, but I used grade 8 bolts as I wasn't too sure of the quality of bolts that came with the hooks.

10,000 Lb. Capacity Tow Hook Kit

Thanks, Dex. I like those. How far does the hook extend beyond the bumper? Do you happen to have a pic of them mounted?

Dextreme 01-09-2013 04:48 PM

I have custom bumper so a pic won't help, but they don't extend past the front of my bumper.

Justchillin7 01-09-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebby (Post 3205121)
The hooks bolt thru into the frame..... the bumper is NOT a valid anchor point

got a little too caught up in a couple forums and forgot that we were talking about the stock bumper lol. I have a quarter inch think steel bumper with a 9500lb warn winch..... if you wrapped it around that it wouldnt go anywhere. But i also have d-rings.... sorry =(:banghead: