Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Oregon Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f62/)
-   -   TSF Run Sunday 1-27-13 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f62/tsf-run-sunday-1-27-13-a-210760.html)

skjeeper 01-09-2013 06:42 PM

TSF Run Sunday 1-27-13

So I have the itch to head out to Tillamook soon, anyone else wanna go? I am thinking Sunday January 27. With the weather in flux, I'm not sure what trails will be entertaining, but I am up for whatever we can do in a day. Who else is game?

-skjeeper:)

BushwackerInc 01-10-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjeeper (Post 3206188)
So I have the itch to head out to Tillamook soon, anyone else wanna go? I am thinking Sunday January 27. With the weather in flux, I'm not sure what trails will be entertaining, but I am up for whatever we can do in a day. Who else is game?

-skjeeper:)

That itch must be going around - i'd be game. Any particular trails in mind? I'd imagine there will be snow

skjeeper 01-10-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushwackerInc (Post 3209860)
That itch must be going around - i'd be game. Any particular trails in mind? I'd imagine there will be snow

I'm up for whatever. Lately the weather has been hit or miss, no new snow until today, so there's a mix of mud and snow. The nearest insight to the weather at TSF is the ODOT webcam at Lee's Camp, (it's the nearest camera/elevation to estimate what the trail/road conditions will be like.) So, I am leaving it kind of generic, I'll probably start on Powerline from the east or Archers from the west, and then work my way into the park and take on whatever we feel like. I have enough recovery gear-straps, winch, traction boards, chains, etc. to help out if someone gets stuck, but I'm not AAA either, so hopefully no one will show up in a lo-rider Wrangler with racing slicks..

I'm thinking of meeting at the North Plains Chevron 815-830ish and heading out by 830?

btw-I see you market for Bushwacker, you'll be happy to know I have your flats mounted on my TJ.:)

rvkillian 01-10-2013 04:16 PM

Shane, I would be up for a run on the 27th. Need to test the new GoPro my wife got me for Christmas.

thio1stJeep 01-11-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjeeper (Post 3210198)
I'm up for whatever. Lately the weather has been hit or miss, no new snow until today, so there's a mix of mud and snow. The nearest insight to the weather at TSF is the ODOT webcam at Lee's Camp, (it's the nearest camera/elevation to estimate what the trail/road conditions will be like.) So, I am leaving it kind of generic, I'll probably start on Powerline from the east or Archers from the west, and then work my way into the park and take on whatever we feel like. I have enough recovery gear-straps, winch, traction boards, chains, etc. to help out if someone gets stuck, but I'm not AAA either, so hopefully no one will show up in a lo-rider Wrangler with racing slicks..

I'm thinking of meeting at the North Plains Chevron 815-830ish and heading out by 830?

btw-I see you market for Bushwacker, you'll be happy to know I have your flats mounted on my TJ.:)

what is lo-rider Wrangler ? mine is stock, no lift. Is that considered lo-rider ? Is it ok to join this run ? thanks

rvkillian 01-11-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thio1stJeep (Post 3214599)
what is lo-rider Wrangler ? mine is stock, no lift. Is that considered lo-rider ? Is it ok to join this run ? thanks

Hi, Thio,

I think he was joking about a jeep with a drop-kit and smooth racing tires. But we have had snow and muddy conditions at TSF lately, so if you are still stock with no lift, I would recommend at least having good traction tires.

If I remember correctly, you have a sport model? The passenger tires that come on the sports are not very good in snow and mud. My last jeep was a 2009 sport with the passenger tires, and I thought they sucked. I ended up changing to mud terrain tires very quickly.

Rich

K.wag 01-12-2013 12:43 AM

Trying to organize a caravan of guys from down here in corvallis area to come up. might get a couple extra jeepers. will let you know as it gets closer to the 27th

skjeeper 01-12-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thio1stJeep (Post 3214599)

LOL, sorry Thio1stJeep, I didn't mean to be taken literally on my last post. I just wanted to express caution about going to TSF this time of the year. There will be snow/mud, and being safe+being prepared= having fun. It is unpredictable weather this time of the year so I don't know how much snow or mud we will see. If you run a stock Jeep, I think you will be okay, it will be easier if you have some off-road or truck tire for traction and most Jeeps have some variant already. Being in a group is the safest thing overall for help and getting people unstuck which is why I posted this little outing rather than heading out alone. However, if you pull up to the Chevron in something like this....
http://www.jeepsonly.com/project1/lowrider.jpg

I am afraid I am going to have to say something..:)

For the Corvallis peeps (and Thio or anyone else for that matter)- the meet up is the North Plains Chevron- go west on US26 to exit 57. Turn north (right) and the Chevron will be almost immediately on the left hand side. We will try and head out at 8:30AM.

You may want to bring lunch, have an ATV permit, and this run isn't necessarily for Wrangler's only, any 4x4 is welcome from my standpoint.

take care!

FireMike 01-12-2013 04:38 PM

I Might be up for this run! I work 72 hours a week and go to school so I might have to back out, But at this point its a yes! I get off of work 7:30 am that morning but will try and make it by 8:15ish. I will keep you updated.

I'm pretty new to wheeling so any tips are greatly appreciated! I'm planning on getting a portable air compressor by then to air down. But that is taking necessity over a CB so I don't have a CB yet :(

banks316 01-12-2013 08:54 PM

Hope you guys get better conditions then there was today. I was hard packed ice, not too often i fail at making it up FB5.

FireMike 01-12-2013 09:37 PM

Ya it was 25 degrees in forest grove this morning. I can imagine how cold it was up there lol.

banks316 01-12-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMike (Post 3221373)
Ya it was 25 degrees in forest grove this morning. I can imagine how cold it was up there lol.

Wasn't really that cold, I ran with the door off. Just crappy trail conditions

skjeeper 01-13-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316 (Post 3221160)
Hope you guys get better conditions then there was today. I was hard packed ice, not too often i fail at making it up FB5.

Yeah hopefully there will be either more fresh snow or enough of the current snow melted/soft in the next couple of weeks. We'll see, but that's why I left this run open with no specific trails in mind since trail conditions and weather are changing...I just want to get out and have a little fun.:)

-skjeeper

thio1stJeep 01-13-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjeeper (Post 3219246)
LOL, sorry Thio1stJeep, I didn't mean to be taken literally on my last post. I just wanted to express caution about going to TSF this time of the year. There will be snow/mud, and being safe+being prepared= having fun. It is unpredictable weather this time of the year so I don't know how much snow or mud we will see. If you run a stock Jeep, I think you will be okay, it will be easier if you have some off-road or truck tire for traction and most Jeeps have some variant already. Being in a group is the safest thing overall for help and getting people unstuck which is why I posted this little outing rather than heading out alone. However, if you pull up to the Chevron in something like this....
http://www.jeepsonly.com/project1/lowrider.jpg

I am afraid I am going to have to say something..:)

For the Corvallis peeps (and Thio or anyone else for that matter)- the meet up is the North Plains Chevron- go west on US26 to exit 57. Turn north (right) and the Chevron will be almost immediately on the left hand side. We will try and head out at 8:30AM.

You may want to bring lunch, have an ATV permit, and this run isn't necessarily for Wrangler's only, any 4x4 is welcome from my standpoint.

take care!

LOL :) 10-4 sir ! thanks

jsears 01-13-2013 10:20 PM

Would love to go! Haven't been out in a snow run yet. But a dead jeep means its no go for me.

yeller03tj 01-13-2013 10:36 PM

I might be down. Meet some new people.

thio1stJeep 01-14-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvkillian (Post 3215154)
Hi, Thio,

I think he was joking about a jeep with a drop-kit and smooth racing tires. But we have had snow and muddy conditions at TSF lately, so if you are still stock with no lift, I would recommend at least having good traction tires.

If I remember correctly, you have a sport model? The passenger tires that come on the sports are not very good in snow and mud. My last jeep was a 2009 sport with the passenger tires, and I thought they sucked. I ended up changing to mud terrain tires very quickly.

Rich

Hi Rich, I got Toyo open country A/T.
Never been driving in snow, let alone in so much snow like up there in TSF...yeah.. I got scared and worried :nonono:

FireMike 01-14-2013 08:26 PM

Update: I am for sure going to make it for this run!!! Do you have a number of rigs yet?

skjeeper 01-14-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMike (Post 3229159)
Update: I am for sure going to make it for this run!!! Do you have a number of rigs yet?

Not sure just yet but as we get closer to the date I am sure people will know with greater reliability if they can make it or not. Right now there's:

thio1stjeep
Odgreentj (maybe)
K.wag (and friends)
rvkillian
BushwackerInc

and of course, myself.
I saw Ken/IslandTJ at the WranglerForum meeting Sunday (my first meeting by the way), he may be able to make it too.

Again, more details as the date gets closer.:)

yeller03tj 01-14-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjeeper

Not sure just yet but as we get closer to the date I am sure people will know with greater reliability if they can make it or not. Right now there's:

thio1stjeep
Odgreentj (maybe)
K.wag (and friends)
rvkillian
BushwackerInc

and of course, myself.
I saw Ken/IslandTJ at the WranglerForum meeting Sunday (my first meeting by the way), he may be able to make it too.

Again, more details as the date gets closer.:)

I was therefor a short time Sunday. Lol

skjeeper 01-14-2013 09:37 PM

Clarification for the 1-27-13 TSF Event

So, I made it to one of the Wrangler Forum Meetings and met a lot of great people, good family fun for all and plan to attend more. During the meeting some good points were made about events past and present which I would like to point out below about those planning on going to TSF on 1-27-13.

1) While this will be an outing to TSF, it is an informal event and not hosted by the Wrangler Forum.

2) Please be prepared for the weather this for both you and your rig- bring warm clothing, something to eat for lunch and snacks, and water. For your rig, I would at least bring a shovel and if you have a 12V portable air compressor to air up at the end of the day, that's great. If you have a CB, that's great too and will be helpful. If you don't have an air compressor, I have an extra one you can use. Anyone can have mechanical problems including myself so please try and be prepared.

3) We will meet at the North Plains Chevron, again, US26 West out of Portland to exit 57, turn north (right) and it's on your left. If you want, you can buy food and snacks there for the day, and have a full tank of gas.

4) Depending on who shows up at Chevron and the weather, we'll take a head count and see what we want to do. This is an open run in my mind, depending on the rigs and weather, we'll have an idea what we can and can't do. In other words, start easy and go from there. This should not be a deterrent for stock rigs- everyone starts or started from somewhere whether it was wheeling with a Rav4 in someone's front yard or an MRAP in the sandbox, so this is no different, but be prepared. Having said that, the conditions could be challenging. I think being in a group with safety, preparedness, and a positive/patient mindset, we should be able to have a great time and not look like pansies doing it. Besides, this is my first time really hosting an event so even I may make some mistakes and I AM BY NO MEANS THE JEDI OFF-ROAD MASTER. Usually I am just making sarcastic wisecracks on this forum.:)

Anyhow, look forward to it, again, I just have an itch to check out TSF and see what's out there.

-skjeeper

yeller03tj 01-14-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Anyhow, look forward to it, again, I just have an itch to check out TSF and see what's out there.

-skjeeper

Never been?

skjeeper 01-14-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odgreenyj (Post 3229653)
Never been?

Oh no, I've been out there a few times this summer and fall, but winter wheeling is like a whole new challenge that I want to get out and enjoy more.

yeller03tj 01-14-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Oh no, I've been out there a few times this summer and fall, but winter wheeling is like a whole new challenge that I want to get out and enjoy more.

I'm a browns camp addict. Lol.
It's my home away from home.

FireMike 01-14-2013 11:08 PM

Awesome!!! I do have a vair compressor on the way FYI. Should be here by Thursday. This should be a fun run, looking forward to it!

K.wag 01-15-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMike (Post 3229981)
Awesome!!! I do have a vair compressor on the way FYI. Should be here by Thursday. This should be a fun run, looking forward to it!

I have a viair installed in my rig too and love it. you will too.

IslandTJ 01-15-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skjeeper (Post 3229475)

:punk:

Highly likely, I will make this run :D.

FireMike 01-15-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.wag (Post 3230236)
I have a viair installed in my rig too and love it. you will too.

I bought the portable 300p compressor kit along with A Currie E-Z tire deflator!
I don't remember who had the E-Z tire deflator it may have been rvkillian? but after borrowing his I was sold lol.

thio1stJeep 01-15-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandTJ (Post 3231713)
:punk:

Highly likely, I will make this run :D.

:thumb: I enjoyed last year run that you led, Ken. I was in your group.

IslandTJ 01-15-2013 03:09 PM

Mahalo, I had a great time too.