Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Any tough trails in big bear? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/any-tough-trails-in-big-bear-210922.html)

thedaringmove 01-10-2013 12:30 PM

Any tough trails in big bear?

Me and my friends go up to big bear a lot. We've done gold mountain twice and it's fair to say we've conquered it. Is there another trail that's maybe a tad bit more difficult? No rockers/lockers though so no John Bull.

Gunner 01-10-2013 12:35 PM

You can do Dishpan springs and Holcomb creek.

thedaringmove 01-10-2013 12:45 PM

Are those as long as gold mountain?

Cons_Table 01-10-2013 12:59 PM

Lockers for john bull...psh. I managed it without...not even a tug. :rolleyes:

Just givin' ya a hard time. John bull is much easier with at least one locker...but it is possible without any if you pick a good line. I would recommend at least one though. Unfortunately I have not spent enough time in big bear as the only trails I have actually gone on are gold mountain and JB. I know of others but can't personally speak about them...2 of those being dishpan and holcomb.

530ktm 01-10-2013 01:08 PM

Dishpan is a pretty mild trail until you get to the waterfall and then it becomes very interesting. I have seen a lot of things going on at that point and the ground has a permanent smell of gear oil, so it has claimed many oilpans, etc. Holcomb is a nice trail as well but it does have some rock gardens to get through. All the trails up there are probably getting some snow now so not sure how good it would be at the time.

bullcrew 01-10-2013 01:43 PM

Jb can be done no lockers but it will take a bit a clean line and spotter you will still be playing around on it trying to get through forget about it in snow though.

Holcomb creek is fun there's a couple spots that are Intresting overall its a fun trail and can definently be done with open diffs.

White mountain or pass is good there are go rounds for 2 main rock climbs that look like buggy trails more than wheeling trails lol but a really nice view of the valley floor below...

Holcomb would be fun in the snow, couple of off camber sections that if snowy could present a issue and those spots would be better with no lockers so the jeep doesn't push..

suicideking 01-10-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 530ktm (Post 3209940)
All the trails up there are probably getting some snow now so not sure how good it would be at the time.

Agree with this: I avoid Big Bear until the spring when all the snow melts. Even doing a fire road is a challenge in snow/ice. I wouldn't want to do any real obstacles until I can see what I'm driving on.

Stick to the lower elevation trails for the winter. Especially with no lockers or armor.

suicideking 01-10-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 3210808)
first guy i see who goes over his(after the snow) gets a dollar from me!

Make it a $1.50 and I'm in! :rofl:

thedaringmove 01-10-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2
first guy i see who goes over his(after the snow) gets a dollar from me!

Hey so I'm totally subscribed to your youtube vids and didnt make the connection...

thedaringmove 01-10-2013 07:56 PM

Gold Mountain Trail - YouTube

Theres one of our GM vidz if anyones interested. Im driving the red TJ

Moabrubi 01-10-2013 10:07 PM

No rockers I would consider dishpan when it's dry. I didn't touch my rockers on that trail. Even though lately I heard the waterfall is pretty tough. Who knows what it looks like now after all the weather, I made it up no issues with 32's. If you don't have sliders I do recommend staying away from Holcomb though, I used my sliders on Holcomb more then JB. I just got a 2" lift and 32's on a TJ.

JPi1 01-10-2013 10:36 PM

Try Motino wash, it's harder than John Bull

Cons_Table 01-10-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 3212629)

This one is on my list :thumb:

SlowThrills 01-10-2013 11:32 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Just did Holcomb in the snow. Last Sunday came down the hill in bad ice/snow and traffic and darkness with fog. Lame. But the trail was awesome, fidnt look anything like summer Holcomb. Got hairy in a lot of icy places with water levels in the creek up and snow making the trail that much skinnier. Used our winches about 5 times and did a bit of Bobsledding down the hills plus a little carnage for me. But it was a trip to remember.

thedaringmove 01-10-2013 11:34 PM

Is jacoby worth my time?

thedaringmove 01-10-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowThrills
Just did Holcomb in the snow. Last Sunday came down the hill in bad ice/snow and traffic and darkness with fog. Lame. But the trail was awesome, fidnt look anything like summer Holcomb. Got hairy in a lot of icy places with water levels in the creek up and snow making the trail that much skinnier. Used our winches about 5 times and did a bit of Bobsledding down the hills plus a little carnage for me. But it was a trip to remember.

Sick man.

suicideking 01-10-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedaringmove (Post 3212776)
Is jacoby worth my time?

Jacoby would probably be doable. Not really any obstacles, mostly a scenic trail. Very short too. In good weather, took under an hour.

Moabrubi 01-11-2013 12:26 AM

You should give Bullfrog a try, I had a lot of fun there. I would say it's harder then JB though if you try everything.

thedaringmove 01-11-2013 01:23 AM

I repeat... I have no lockers or rocker guards haha. I don't want dents. I just want a good simple trail like GM about the same difficulty. Something to show off on

It's not that I don't have the balls, its that my jeep don't got the gutz haha. I have no problem spending an hour on one obstacle but have no money to fix any oops moments haha

suicideking 01-11-2013 01:35 AM

Pickup some Rubi rails. You can usually get them for $100 - $150 used.

Baja1ab 01-11-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 3212629)

You better give him a smokin deal on some sliders before he attempts Mottino, Stan. It's rough on Jeeps... or maybe that's your plan. :whistling:

bullcrew 01-11-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking (Post 3213043)
Pickup some Rubi rails. You can usually get them for $100 - $150 used.

There's some on Craigslist for $100 right now throw some diff guard covers on (heavy duty) and relocate you evap....this will open up your durability factor a lot...

Baja1ab 01-11-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moabrubi (Post 3212872)
You should give Bullfrog a try, I had a lot of fun there. I would say it's harder then JB though if you try everything.

Although one of my favorite, it's in Lucerne, not Big Bear.

Good suggestion though. If you're itchin for some new terrain, Cougar Buttes is freakin awesome! :thumb: Also, there's bypasses for just about everything. It's a big playground.

The OP needs to get some sliders though. At the very least he can get tugged through some stuff, hopefully unscathed.

thedaringmove 01-11-2013 11:21 AM

I'm working on sliders. Literally broke. Next month ill have my cousins shop fab them for me.

JPi4.0 01-11-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja1ab

You better give him a smokin deal on some sliders before he attempts Mottino, Stan. It's rough on Jeeps... or maybe that's your plan. :whistling:

We need to get back out.

Baja1ab 01-11-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi4.0 (Post 3216277)
We need to get back out.

Agreed, Buck!

BillG.OTD 01-11-2013 11:01 PM

Yeah, thats a nice trail, I want to go back!

JPi1 01-11-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillG.OTD
Yeah, thats a nice trail, I want to go back!

Missed you tonight Bill

BillG.OTD 01-12-2013 01:23 AM

Yeah, missed being there...we had an appointment with Connor...

highwayman 01-12-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi4.0 (Post 3216277)
We need to get back out.

This...