Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   mob mentality... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/mob-mentality-21097.html)

tiny terror 09-01-2008 10:43 AM

mob mentality...

I'm one of those people who likes to watch and listen. People fascinate me, so a trip to the mall, or a new forum is like a place to study human nature. Lately I've been watching the mob mentality of forums.

I've been a member of several forums, unmoderated, under or over moderated, miss moderated, and just plain moderated. The mob has shown it's ugly head on all of them. It's like a school yard when the kids who are afraid to be picked on see that today they aren't the target. They become bold and run with the pack, attacking the leftovers while looking around to make sure that the alpha-dogs notice that they were with them.

Internet forums are an interesting subculture of odd behavior in my opinion. There are many genuine people, but then there are the times when the ability to hide behind the keyboard gets the best of people and the desire to be part of the "cool kids" makes them project a completely different personality.

Amazingly, this forum seems to have a minimum when it comes to the pack and I'd really love to be able to figure out why. Do you think it's the size? The people?

sgnellett 09-01-2008 11:07 AM

Mall Ninjas!!!

richp 09-01-2008 11:29 AM

This forum and naxja as well a bmja.org are pretty mellow, while some leg pulling goes on I have never seen it turn nasty, here the same unless you mods are faster on the trigger. In the case of naxja I think it's because it's an older group and for bmja it's because we all know each other by eyeball contact and from wheeling and running into each other.
In my case I don't have the time, patience or tolerance for ugly people, I ignore them the first and second time, third time I just shoot them, which is annoying as now you have to call your GOOD FRIENDS to move the body :D :D :D

Never pick a fight with an old fart, we just tend to kill you and get back to taking that nap we settled down to before you started the ruckus that side tracked us...

02Prove 09-01-2008 11:31 AM

Must have something to do with the Jeeps.

...yea, I got nothing.

Dare2BSquare 09-01-2008 11:32 AM

There's too many sheeple on here that are afraid of Tiny. :wavey:

02Prove 09-01-2008 11:32 AM

I ain't skeered of that runt! :D

tiny terror 09-01-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 260148)
There's too many sheeple on here that are afraid of Tiny. :wavey:

You know Dare, that's just down right rude. Not just to me, which you have no problem with, but to everyone else on the forum that you just called "sheeple".

tiny terror 09-01-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richp (Post 260145)
This forum and naxja as well a bmja.org are pretty mellow, while some leg pulling goes on I have never seen it turn nasty, here the same unless you mods are faster on the trigger. In the case of naxja I think it's because it's an older group and for bmja it's because we all know each other by eyeball contact and from wheeling and running into each other.
In my case I don't have the time, patience or tolerance for ugly people, I ignore them the first and second time, third time I just shoot them, which is annoying as now you have to call your GOOD FRIENDS to move the body :D :D :D

Never pick a fight with an old fart, we just tend to kill you and get back to taking that nap we settled down to before you started the ruckus that side tracked us...

See, I thought at first it was about people having actually met each other face to face but there's been a great deal of meetings on the other forums I read. I have to say it's the anonymity factor for some, but not on all. And Prove, there's some Jeep boards in the group of forums I haunt.

Barrie 09-01-2008 12:00 PM

I would have to agree with 02Prove, the common link is the Jeeps. Just my
.02 :)

02Prove 09-01-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 260153)
...And Prove, there's some Jeep boards in the group of forums I haunt.

Are they as "mature" as this one. I've noticed the mob thing on boards with younger members but boards with a good mix and boards with older folks not so much.

I could be completely off but I hadn't paid that much attention to it.

Scout 09-01-2008 12:22 PM

Actually I this forum has some “mob mentality” when it comes right down to it. When a veteran member gets out of line or when a new member joins up and starts acting like an ass this membership joins up and lets them know that that simply isn’t tolerated here. I think that mentality gets inbred when you have a group of people, like we have here, who feel pretty comfortable with everyone else and have formed a friendship.

Also, I feel like everyone here has molded this forum into the type of place that they’re proud to be a member of and a place where they’re comfortable coming to and hanging out. Negative “mobbing (is that a word?)” just doesn’t happen here much. I think we all respect each other enough where that just doesn’t happen.

In my opinion the members of this forum a great job of moderating this place as well as the little input we do as “official” moderators.

Just my .02

tiny terror 09-01-2008 12:25 PM

I'm not sure about the ages, Prove, but I have seen pictures of some of the guys and they don't seem all that young. There are also common members on some of the boards. It's odd.

There's a writer's board I haunt that is unmoderated and has a member who actually takes every chance to talk about how the Holocaust never happened. She's quite the blatant troll but I think it's just a character she's playing. You tend to see that on writer's boards. But seeing two different personas on boards that are not creative based baffles me.

Maybe its the mix of moderation and members. I'm not sure.

And Scout, you're right, there's always a "mob" but here it's more of a protective mentality. We like the feel, we want it to stay the way it is, so we huddle sometimes to make sure new people understand and vets remember. But I have never seen attacking for attacking's sake.

Barrie 09-01-2008 12:35 PM

I don't have a lot of forum expereance, I am also a member of a Ford Powerstroke Diesel forum and I like Wrangler Forum alot more. Very comfortable and laid back. JMO. :)

noise 09-01-2008 12:44 PM

I was mobbed somewhat upon my return from the depths.

I'm a genuine a$$hole though so its to be expected.;)

tiny terror 09-01-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noise (Post 260173)
I was mobbed somewhat upon my return from the depths.

I'm a genuine a$$hole though so its to be expected.;)

Yeah, Noise, you were. But I think you've settled in nicely. Plus it's fun to have a little excitement now and again. :D

JeepersdoitDeeper 09-01-2008 12:50 PM

Wow... Someday maybe I can witness this mob mentality so I can have a better understanding of the subject at hand. ;)

noise 09-01-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 260174)
But I think you've settled in nicely.

meh, I've just decided to stop trying to "help" people as much.
Most seem to get enraged when I offer my help and state the truth very bluntly.

If I started lieing and telling tales the enragement would come very quick followed shortly with the ban hammer.

ALL forums have somewhat of a mob mentallity, especially when it concerens something/somone new or out of the ordinary.

noise 09-01-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersdoitDeeper (Post 260176)
Wow... Someday maybe I can witness this mob mentality so I can have a better understanding of the subject at hand. ;)

I had no hand it that mobbing, but it was a entertaing short read to say the least. :D

JeepersdoitDeeper 09-01-2008 12:56 PM

Lol... What mobbing? Did you see a mobbing? I didnt see a mobbing... lol

Unlimited 09-01-2008 01:02 PM

Much as it pains me, I have to agree with Scout on this one. :D There is somewhat of a mob mentality at play here, but I think we are just a mellower, more accepting mob. Noise seems to be our token rabble-rouser, and frankly, I give him props for hanging around. I actually enjoy the controversy some of his posts cause.

We seem to have developed somewhat of a family here. There are the annoying siblings that you hate to sit next to at Thanksgiving dinner, but they are still family none the less. And we've seen time and time again that most everyone here will come to the defense of a family member when they are being attacked by an "outsider". It doesn't take much to become part of the family, you just need to contribute and play nice.

tiny terror 09-01-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noise (Post 260177)
meh, I've just decided to stop trying to "help" people as much.
Most seem to get enraged when I offer my help and state the truth very bluntly.

If I started lieing and telling tales the enragement would come very quick followed shortly with the ban hammer.

ALL forums have somewhat of a mob mentallity, especially when it concerens something/somone new or out of the ordinary.

Well, helping people sometimes does bite you in the ass when things do not turn out the way they expect. And the person helping is oft times held up as the "bad guy". Kind of like a mother who allows her daughter to run home from the girl's husband. When wife goes home, mother is the bad guy.

But, I happen to like you and the flavor you add to the forum. Blunt is good in a way, especially when it's true colors and not just running with the pack.

noise 09-01-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited (Post 260184)
Noise seems to be our token rabble-rouser

lol....thats sig- worthy right there. :rofl:

ccain 09-01-2008 01:14 PM

Well... I think we should all round up these "mob" types and make em all pay! Who's with me?!

JeepersdoitDeeper 09-01-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited
Noise seems to be our token

http://tvseries.eduardomaio.net/seri...gens/token.jpg

Scout 09-01-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited (Post 260184)
Much as it pains me, I have to agree with Scout on this one. :D ...

I always knew you loved me. :wavey:

tiny terror 09-01-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 260194)
I always knew you loved me. :wavey:

Once again..... Man Love.

Unlimited 09-01-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 260196)
Once again..... Man Love.

Quit it...

tiny terror 09-01-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited (Post 260197)
Quit it...

Are you thinking of crying??

Unlimited 09-01-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 260198)
Are you thinking of crying??

No, I just don't want you to hurt Scout's feelings....

tiny terror 09-01-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain (Post 260192)
Well... I think we should all round up these "mob" types and make em all pay! Who's with me?!

Let's get a big shark tank to toss them into!!!