Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Cleaning the Carpet (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/cleaning-the-carpet-211099.html)

jdwalkerok 01-11-2013 08:51 AM

Cleaning the Carpet

I am the proud new owner of my first Jeep. I recently purchased a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Soft Top. I love it, but I have noticed that the soft top leaks which has resulted in wet carpet in the back seats. I live in Oklahoma and rain is not that common. I noticed the carpet just comes right up.

I was wondering.. Is it safe to watch and dry the carpet in your washing machine and dryer? Does anyone else have a problem with a leaky soft top?:whistling:

jkjeeper06 01-11-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdwalkerok
I am the proud new owner of my first Jeep. I recently purchased a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Soft Top. I love it, but I have noticed that the soft top leaks which has resulted in wet carpet in the back seats. I live in Oklahoma and rain is not that common. I noticed the carpet just comes right up.

I was wondering.. Is it safe to watch and dry the carpet in your washing machine and dryer? Does anyone else have a problem with a leaky soft top?:whistling:

A huge number seem to have leaks with the soft top and hard tops. I have troubles on my hard top but not my soft top. I take my carpets out and run no carpets to solve the problem

To answer your question I think it's a rigid carpet so idk how it will fit? You could take it out and use carpet shampoo and a hose. Or dish soap and a hose and hang it out to dry

Lincoln33 01-11-2013 11:01 AM

I pulled my front carpet out and took it to the carwash where I power washed it and then dyed it to freshen it up. Looks new and no dirt stains or smell. I'm sure the same will work for your back carpet.

Also I've always pulled the drain plugs in my Jeeps to help drain water and dry the carpet quicker. I usually run without a top so the carpet gets wet regularly. I've pulled my back carpet and don't plan on putting it back in, I keep the front in to keep the heat down.

jdwalkerok 01-11-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lincoln33 (Post 3214292)
I pulled my front carpet out and took it to the carwash where I power washed it and then dyed it to freshen it up. Looks new and no dirt stains or smell. I'm sure the same will work for your back carpet.

Also I've always pulled the drain plugs in my Jeeps to help drain water and dry the carpet quicker. I usually run without a top so the carpet gets wet regularly. I've pulled my back carpet and don't plan on putting it back in, I keep the front in to keep the heat down.

Jeep has drain plugs?? I guess I will look for it. Thank for the reply! :)

jdwalkerok 01-11-2013 11:15 AM

So a leaky top is a fairly normal Jeep thing?

jkmohican 01-11-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Leaky top? You should have seen what happened to my inside when i drove through a car wash. It was mansoon.

jkjeeper06 01-11-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

I wish I could say no. At some point in their lives most jeeps leak. But they can get even more wet when you forget your windows and doors and it starts to pour 1/2 way thru the day. I've been there-that was an interesting drive home from work

jdwalkerok 01-12-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3215119)
I wish I could say no. At some point in their lives most jeeps leak. But they can get even more wet when you forget your windows and doors and it starts to pour 1/2 way thru the day. I've been there-that was an interesting drive home from work

Sounds great!
I'm actually looking forward to that if the temperature is right!:dance:
Any problems with the stereo after the rain?

Lincoln33 01-12-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdwalkerok (Post 3221291)
Sounds great!
Any problems with the stereo after the rain?

Althugh I run without a full top I always have the bikini top on so the dash and front seats don't get soaked. I've never had a problem with the stereo getting "wet"; mostly just a lite mist on it, and no issues from that.

1911A1 01-13-2013 08:58 AM

This may be a dumb question, but are you supposed to take soft top Jeeps into a car wash (even brushless car washes)? Thought I had read somewhere that you should only do that with hard tops.

MTH 01-13-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911A1
This may be a dumb question, but are you supposed to take soft top Jeeps into a car wash (even brushless car washes)? Thought I had read somewhere that you should only do that with hard tops.

You shouldn't and your manual recommends against it. But many, including myself, routinely do.

bbtj 01-13-2013 10:08 AM

http://www.jeep-club.net/graphics/ma..._Leaks_All.pdf