Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Can my jk pull a boat?!?! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/can-my-jk-pull-a-boat-211315.html)

Mayhemjeep 01-12-2013 10:33 AM

Can my jk pull a boat?!?!
 
I am looking at getting a wakeboarding boat for the summer but I am unsure if my 08 jk can handle the pull. It's got 35s with 4.88 gears. Will it be able to pull a 3200lbs boat?

Garyk 01-12-2013 11:51 AM

Is that weight without the trailer? I think you would be really pushing it.

ratchettt 01-12-2013 11:54 AM

Tow capacity is 2000# with a little over 900# payload. I'm not schooled enough to know the intricacies but you would be overloaded. Explains why I never see wranglers towing boats.

jkjeeper06 01-12-2013 12:06 PM

It'll pull it just fine. Depending on how heavy the trailer is, you will probably be over the 3500# tow capacity on the 4 door. The engine can pull a lot more than the rating, But the short wheel base and brakes are the weak point

AUskier 01-12-2013 12:17 PM

I tow a boat a lot and used my 2012 JKU for most of my towing last summer

I just posted my experience pulling a 3500 lb boat in another thread (that's my total load boat and trailer so I am right at the max rating of my 2012 JKU)

You can read through this thread see my thoughts
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/tow...ns-210985.html

I have the Max Tow 3.73 gears and I swapped out the standard 32" Sahara tires for 33" Duratracs so I would only be guessing about 35s with your gearing. I also have the newer pentastar compared to your engine.

Remember to find out your total load. Not just dry boat weight. Boat with gas and equipment plus trailer weight.

Find out what kind of trailer brakes, you'll need good ones and have to keep them working.

What boat are you looking at? I'm a nautique guy.

ranjr 01-12-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhemjeep
I am looking at getting a wakeboarding boat for the summer but I am unsure if my 08 jk can handle the pull. It's got 35s with 4.88 gears. Will it be able to pull a 3200lbs boat?

Nope, not unless its a custom built tiny wakeboard boat like maybe a Seadoo or something less than 18'. I bought a 20' Cobalt 200 this past summer with the hopes my 2012 Unlimited with 4.10s could handle it. It did ok moving it around but was too much at speed. I went and bought a cheap Suburban to tow it.

Remember the weights for boats are empty, no fluids, no trailer, no required items like life jackets, etc... Also boats can hold 50 or more gallons of fuel which adds up quickly.

3,000 boat
1,000 trailer
400 gas 50 gals X 8 lbs/gal
200 extras (boards, rope, jackets, towels, etc...)
4,600 total

AUskier 01-12-2013 02:36 PM

Hey ranjr how heavy is your cobalt?

My 19'6" nautique is 2340 lbs
Single axle trailer is 1100 lbs

Last time I weighed the whole rig full of gas it was about 3700. My 2012 tows it really well (just my opinion of course) so I was wondering at what weight it felt to you like it couldn't handle well.

I do agree with Ranjr that most wakeboard boats are going to be a no go for the JKU. My closed bow ski nautique 196 is tiny compared to the wake boats.

Dalmatians 01-12-2013 02:44 PM

I've never had a problem. Boat is about 1800 lbs and trailer is 650 or so.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...d/37b5483d.jpg

ranjr 01-12-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUskier (Post 3219801)
Hey ranjr how heavy is your cobalt?

My 19'6" nautique is 2340 lbs
Single axle trailer is 1100 lbs

Last time I weighed the whole rig full of gas it was about 3700. My 2012 tows it really well (just my opinion of course) so I was wondering at what weight it felt to you like it couldn't handle well.

I do agree with Ranjr that most wakeboard boats are going to be a no go for the JKU. My closed bow ski nautique 196 is tiny compared to the wake boats.

I don't remember exact specs but boat is around 3700 and trailer around 1200. Here's a pic, it's a large 20' boat and built solid as I'd expect most good wakeboard boats are.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1342743881

Lusus_Naturae 01-12-2013 05:17 PM

We met a guy in Wisconsin this past summer that had a JKU and was towing a 17ft boat. We chatted briefly on how it handled as we were in the Door and it's fairly hilly with a lot of 55mph to 30mph driving in and out of the towns. He said he was quite happy with it.

I don't know if I personally would want to haul a large boat around a lot, although I was impressed that my TJ hauled a 17 ft flatbed trailer I borrowed for moving a lot better than my other friend's 6 ft trailer I previously borrowed. A lot has to do with the build of a trailer too.

rivershark2005 01-12-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjr
400 gas 50 gals X 8 lbs/gal

Refined gas is 6.2 pounds per gallon.

J.Thrasher 01-12-2013 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 197368

22 ft century. Furthest I pulled it was 80 miles one way. I did choose to pull during a time when the least amount of traffic possible.

ranjr 01-12-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivershark2005

Refined gas is 6.2 pounds per gallon.

Ok, 50 gallons is still heavy.

rivershark2005 01-12-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjr

Ok, 50 gallons is still heavy.

Very much so!

SoCalChris 01-12-2013 08:46 PM

The bigger picture no one has touched on is a Honda accord can pull the same boat... The big picture and the reason for the vehicles having a tow rating is the vehicle needs to be able to stop safely. The tow rating is figured by the weight of the vehicle. Obviously a vehicle that weighs 4000lbs couldn't stop a trailer that's 3x that weight. So to answer your question in my opinion with what I've just said my answer would be NO!

ranjr 01-12-2013 10:26 PM

A JKU weighs between 4,500 - 5K and the boat setup will be very similar. I had no issues stopping the Cobalt pictured above behind my JKU but it does have surge brakes, as any boat trailer should at that weight. The main issue I had was engine cooling. There was one hill near the ramp that caused my temp gauge to rise to 3/4. Granted, I do have a winch mounted on my front bumper obstructing some of the airflow. Also, anything over around 50 mph just didn't feel good.

Mayhemjeep 01-13-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUskier
I tow a boat a lot and used my 2012 JKU for most of my towing last summer

I just posted my experience pulling a 3500 lb boat in another thread (that's my total load boat and trailer so I am right at the max rating of my 2012 JKU)

You can read through this thread see my thoughts
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/tow...ns-210985.html

I have the Max Tow 3.73 gears and I swapped out the standard 32" Sahara tires for 33" Duratracs so I would only be guessing about 35s with your gearing. I also have the newer pentastar compared to your engine.

Remember to find out your total load. Not just dry boat weight. Boat with gas and equipment plus trailer weight.

Find out what kind of trailer brakes, you'll need good ones and have to keep them working.

What boat are you looking at? I'm a nautique guy.

It's a 2006mastercraft x2

Juancho 01-13-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhemjeep (Post 3218993)
I am looking at getting a wakeboarding boat for the summer but I am unsure if my 08 jk can handle the pull. It's got 35s with 4.88 gears. Will it be able to pull a 3200lbs boat?

That's my brother pulling his boat with my 2007 Jeep Wrangler.... This was at the end of last summer(2012)

He didn't launch his boat in our 5 minutes away marina port in pickering, ontario... He drive 30kms to Scarborough bluff... Why..?? I have not idea... He took the 401 highway using the emergency lights all the way the scarborough and driving 80 kms/hr.

I hope this help...

Jeep Wrangler Boat Launch - YouTube

Btw... I made a mistake at the moment to insert the video comments about my Jeep specs... :-( sorry, it isn't a V8.... :-(

ranjr 01-13-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhemjeep

It's a 2006mastercraft x2

An X2 has a dry weight between 3200 - 3350 depending on options. Add trailer, fluids, and gear. I would not recommend it based on my experience owning a similar sized boat.

2five22 01-13-2013 06:42 PM

Just because someone did it, doesn't mean it should be done.

Mayhemjeep 01-16-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjr

An X2 has a dry weight between 3200 - 3350 depending on options. Add trailer, fluids, and gear. I would not recommend it based on my experience owning a similar sized boat.

I really only have to take my boat about 80 km and then it will be staying down at the lake till the end of the season. Then I will have to take it back home another 80 km. should be able to make that journey I would say

Qdogfox 01-16-2013 01:44 PM

I have a Malibu VTX wakeboat...It is quite heavy as the trailer is. My Marina is less than 5 miles from teh front door. I will use the JUUR from time to time to move it. I might even tow to the river launch which is slightly further, but anything more than that and you are kidding yourself. "Wet" my boat and trailer are pretty close to 5500# I think. (Gas, cooler, non-water ballast (lead), equipment.) You must also account for the people you bring in your vehicle that count against your GVWR for what you can safely tow.

Qdogfox 01-16-2013 01:45 PM

I would think the X2 is beyond the Jeep. My buddy wrecked his truck (F150) pretty badly on his driveway with a very steep hill. They aren't lightweight. He now has a diesel F250.

OffRoadWarrior 01-16-2013 02:11 PM

All I know is I expect to tow boat(s) with my unlimited with max tow up to the 3500lb rating. As suggested add up all weights to make sure your within capacity. I calculate gas at 6.1 US lbs per US gallon. Some boat manufactures list dry weight as hull only and others with engine/outdrive. Usually inboards and i/o's include the total combined dry weight but a call to the manufacturer should confirm.

I used to tow a 26ft Baja with a Tacoma, to keep it legit I needed to replace the steel trailer with aluminum.

KittyPrawn 01-16-2013 02:29 PM

I don't know if it would make a difference... but a lot of the guys pointing out they've had no problems have a JKU. Unless I missed where the OP stated otherwise, his original post makes me think he only has a 2 door.

There is around a 1500lb difference in tow rating for the JK vs the JKU in the manual.

jkjeeper06 01-16-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn
I don't know if it would make a difference... but a lot of the guys pointing out they've had no problems have a JKU. Unless I missed where the OP stated otherwise, his original post makes me think he only has a 2 door.

There is around a 1500lb difference in tow rating for the JK vs the JKU in the manual.

Technically there is no such thing as a JKU. It's just something the consumer made up. He said he has a jk with 35's and 488 gears. The jeep in the sig looks pretty close to that description. Most of the ppl could have just assumed that's what he was talking about

mathew85 01-16-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhemjeep (Post 3236474)
I really only have to take my boat about 80 km and then it will be staying down at the lake till the end of the season. Then I will have to take it back home another 80 km. should be able to make that journey I would say

I'd say it should be fine. I have friends who tow 23' sailboats once for put in and once for put out with toyota corollas. NO, I wouldn't recommend THAT. But given that, I think the JKU can do it...

The big thing is, you only have one put in trip and one put out trip every year. So go slow. Trailer sway, stopping distance / stopping ability etc deteriorate quadratically as a function of speed. So going slower makes it much much safer.

Also, do it in off peak hours when there's less traffic. At least the first time..

KittyPrawn 01-16-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3236796)

Technically there is no such thing as a JKU. It's just something the consumer made up. He said he has a jk with 35's and 488 gears. The jeep in the sig looks pretty close to that description. Most of the ppl could have just assumed that's what he was talking about

I'm aware that they are all technically JKs. Would it be better if I said 2 door vs 4 door? Regardless of the designation, Jeep says one has a higher tow rating than the other. I'm on my phone and don't see sigs/icons. I just want to make sure he is getting the info he needs for what he has.

mathew85 01-16-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3236796)
Technically there is no such thing as a JKU. It's just something the consumer made up. He said he has a jk with 35's and 488 gears. The jeep in the sig looks pretty close to that description. Most of the ppl could have just assumed that's what he was talking about

I thought moderators were going around here saying "stay on topic" :P
His profile picture shows a 4 door.

Mayhemjeep 01-16-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn

I'm aware that they are all technically JKs. Would it be better if I said 2 door vs 4 door? Regardless of the designation, Jeep says one has a higher tow rating than the other. I'm on my phone and don't see sigs/icons. I just want to make sure he is getting the info he needs for what he has.

It's the 4 door manual tran.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.