Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   730N RHR question... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/730n-rhr-question-211980.html)

Mr.Dave 01-14-2013 08:25 PM

730N RHR question...

So I bought this new, put it in my 07, and everything works great...except one thing. It has the Ram splash screen upon startup. I have had it for a week, and the system properties shows my VIN on the screen. I don't know why it won't change. It changed right away on my REN after putting it in. Am I missing something here? Has anyone changed what their vehicle icon is on their nav screen also?

albertmald9 02-08-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Dave (Post 3229155)
So I bought this new, put it in my 07, and everything works great...except one thing. It has the Ram splash screen upon startup. I have had it for a week, and the system properties shows my VIN on the screen. I don't know why it won't change. It changed right away on my REN after putting it in. Am I missing something here? Has anyone changed what their vehicle icon is on their nav screen also?

Did you ever get this resolved?

Thanks

deepbluerubi 02-08-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertmald9 (Post 23966425)
Did you ever get this resolved?

Thanks

Last activity from him was 1/2015

albertmald9 02-19-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbluerubi (Post 23971289)
Last activity from him was 1/2015

Yeah I saw that, just figured it's worth a shot. My splash screen is Ram and don't know how to change it.

s6275 02-19-2016 03:50 PM

Interesting. What year is your Jeep?

I have a 2011 Wrangler that got a (pretty sure) 2012 730N. When I plugged it in, it showed the Chrysler "wings" logo, then immediately appeared to have crashed. I sat holding my breath for close to 10 seconds, when the screen came back to life, but this time with the Jeep logo. It was running an early 2.0 firmware, and rebooted itself to the Jeep logo without any other intervention on my end.

jkudave 02-19-2016 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertmald9 (Post 24182601)
Yeah I saw that, just figured it's worth a shot. My splash screen is Ram and don't know how to change it.

You can't. If it didn't change on it's own, your radio is an older revision and does not auto update the logo. Sorry to say you are stuck with it.

WaltA 02-19-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkudave (Post 24182737)
You can't. If it didn't change on it's own, your radio is an older revision and does not auto update the logo. Sorry to say you are stuck with it.

Does updating to 2.600 firmware add this auto logo update feature????

jkudave 02-19-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaltA (Post 24183329)
Does updating to 2.600 firmware add this auto logo update feature????

No.

s6275 02-19-2016 05:08 PM

So save for the hardware ID numbers, I am fairly certain my 730N represents all the most current versions of the software packages available for it. Mine asked for a security code, which I believe places it as a post-2012 unit.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...3&d=1455410934

How does your Hardware/ System version number compare to mine?

albertmald9 02-22-2016 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s6275 (Post 24183817)
So save for the hardware ID numbers, I am fairly certain my 730N represents all the most current versions of the software packages available for it. Mine asked for a security code, which I believe places it as a post-2012 unit.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...3&d=1455410934

How does your Hardware/ System version number compare to mine?

Mine asked for a security code as well, and it came from a 2012 Ram. I'm not sure how to update the software and I don't think its ever been updated so I'll look into that.

WaltA 02-22-2016 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertmald9 (Post 24227481)
I'm not sure how to update the software and I don't think its ever been updated so I'll look into that.

Check out some of the other radio threads here, for a link to the .ISO files for updating (one for system firmware and one for Gracenotes). You use those .ISO files to burn two DVD's, and then insert the DVD's into your radio (one at a time).

aldo90731 02-22-2016 07:02 AM

I am going by memory here and I apologize since I am nowhere near either of my Jeeps. But I believe I was scrolling through various set up pages on my navi and I swear I saw a page that allowed you to select one of the different FCA brands.

It may have been on the 430N in my Rubicon...but it may be worth searching for an equivalent page on 730N?

albertmald9 02-23-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaltA (Post 24229913)
Check out some of the other radio threads here, for a link to the .ISO files for updating (one for system firmware and one for Gracenotes). You use those .ISO files to burn two DVD's, and then insert the DVD's into your radio (one at a time).

Cool, thanks. I'll look into it. Is it not possible to do via usb thumbdrive?

WaltA 02-23-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertmald9 (Post 24254625)
Cool, thanks. I'll look into it. Is it not possible to do via usb thumbdrive?

I used the DVD's. I am anal about following instructions exactly.

A few people have reported that they tried a thumbdrive, but with mixed results. So, I would never suggest it, unless you feel you're an expert, and can build a bootable thumbdrive in just the right format with no help.

twyrick 02-23-2016 03:01 PM

For what it's worth too? When you load any of these updates in (including the Gracenotes update, or a navigation map update you purchase), it always advises you that you can turn off the engine in the middle of it and it will pick up where it left off when you restart it.

In my experience, this is true -- but the stereo is "flaky" about displaying the update progress if you do so. It *may* come back up properly, but half the time you just get a blank screen and no indication the update is continuing. If you wait long enough though, it does complete anyway, resetting the display when it does so (and rather stupidly, prompting again to press "Yes" to begin the update instead of confirming you're on the newer version and exiting out).

albertmald9 02-23-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaltA (Post 24257233)
I used the DVD's. I am anal about following instructions exactly.

A few people have reported that they tried a thumbdrive, but with mixed results. So, I would never suggest it, unless you feel you're an expert, and can build a bootable thumbdrive in just the right format with no help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twyrick (Post 24259865)
For what it's worth too? When you load any of these updates in (including the Gracenotes update, or a navigation map update you purchase), it always advises you that you can turn off the engine in the middle of it and it will pick up where it left off when you restart it.

In my experience, this is true -- but the stereo is "flaky" about displaying the update progress if you do so. It *may* come back up properly, but half the time you just get a blank screen and no indication the update is continuing. If you wait long enough though, it does complete anyway, resetting the display when it does so (and rather stupidly, prompting again to press "Yes" to begin the update instead of confirming you're on the newer version and exiting out).

I too like to follow instructions exactly so I will stick with the DVD method. But man does this sound like a tempermental radio. I'm pretty tech savvy but the fear of bricking this thing is definitely there.

twyrick 02-24-2016 05:44 PM

re: bricking the radio

Yeah.... At least I can say I've done 2 different updates for Gracenotes on mine now, a GPS map update and 2 firmware updates, and all went through without failures.

I've seen a lot of temperamental things about the 730N's operation, but at the same time -- I also see where they've gotten it quite stable doing "day to day" things like listening to satellite XM radio, FM radio, adjusting the menu settings or audio settings, or using the GPS from the touchscreen.

I wouldn't be especially worried about bricking it as long as you load the updates from DVDs that you just recorded and know are scratch/dust free. It seems to be designed with that process in mind.

The areas where I trust it less are often cases where I think the processor in the radio might just be too slow/old to handle things well enough, and/or where it doesn't have enough system memory to complete the tasks properly. EG. I've had it behave oddly with some of the MP3 music I've had it play from USB sticks. Depending on the encoding bitrate and other settings, it seems like some songs will stop playing abruptly, a second or two before they actually end. Or if I tell it to play music from my iPod Classic (6th. generation 130GB model) with it plugged into the USB port in the center compartment, it struggles with requests to skip forward or back through a song that's playing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertmald9 (Post 24260601)
I too like to follow instructions exactly so I will stick with the DVD method. But man does this sound like a temperamental radio. I'm pretty tech savvy but the fear of bricking this thing is definitely there.