Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Hardtop Hoist in an 8.5 ft garage? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hardtop-hoist-in-an-8-5-ft-garage-212127.html)

JeepDawg97 01-15-2013 12:20 PM

Hardtop Hoist in an 8.5 ft garage?

Does anyone have a hardtop hoist setup in a garage with a low ceiling? All the photos I've found on the forum so far seem to be in garages with higher ceilings than what we have. Any special recommendations or photos?

Pattynole 01-15-2013 12:27 PM

a buddy of mine just bought a kayak hoist from Dick's for about $20 and it works amazingly well. i was surprised. i'm going to get one and install this weekend. no reason why it wouldn't work on an 8.5' ceiling.

basecamper 01-15-2013 12:46 PM

I have the Racor lift but with an 11' ceiling. All the way up you need about a foot plus the Jeep top or about three feet total. I would think parking under it wouldn't be a problem. But when the jeep is not under it either walking around it or cracking your head on it might get old. Kind of depends on your garage layout as well if its in the corner might not be a problem at all.

myrtlebeachjeep 01-15-2013 02:30 PM

i have one in a 10 ft ceiling,i placed it so i could back jeep in under the hoist,then i pull out and turn around. i park jeep back under it.i simply use a bungee cord to keep it from spinning and rubbing my windshield..now i am looking for a cheap powered winch to replace the hand crank..

myrtlebeachjeep 01-15-2013 02:32 PM

brian d 01-15-2013 03:11 PM

I have an 8 foot garage. I just threw 4 ratchet straps over the beams and hook them to each corner of the hard top. A few clicks brings it a couple inches off the side rails and I can drive out from under it. It is even high enough that the equinox can park with the hood under it.

Matador 01-15-2013 03:27 PM

I also have a low ceiling and tried the ratchet strap idea. It was more exhausting and nerve racking lowering the top. Ratchet straps don't really have a slow speed, its either LOCK or UNLOCK and UNLOCK on a top weighing over 100lbs while your holding onto the strap with one hand at a time is not very fun.

I was going to try the racor system but I thought that I didn't have enough height for it to lift the top up since the system already drops down a couple of inches. So I decided to just tough it out and lift it with the help of whoever was around at the moment.

dirtybiketrash 01-15-2013 03:39 PM

I would really recommend the Harken hoister. Do a search, there are multiple write-ups and the forum, and if you go to YouTube there are videos showing one being used to pick up a top. They are available through Quadratec among other sources.

dvdsjk 01-15-2013 03:41 PM

8"2" AND RACOR. I REPLACED THE WIRE WITH NYLON ROPE.
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...k/IMG_0342.jpg

panthermark 01-15-2013 03:50 PM

I'm thinking of adding a pair of these....

Gambrel and Pulley Hoist

On sale for $12 bucks each at the moment. Maybe a hand crank as well.....

Potts 01-15-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdsjk (Post 3232528)

Id liek to see more pics of your jeep man. from what I can tell I like what you got going on.

JeepDawg97 01-15-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdsjk (Post 3232528)

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful everyone. I was actually researching the Harken and Racor. It seems the Harken get closer to the ceiling which may be helpful with a low garage. Has anyone built their own or made modifications to the other two?

DVDSJK I see you replaced your wire with nylon. Is this as high as the hardtop will go in your garage?

BadOleRoss 01-15-2013 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have an 8' high ceiling in my garage and built this hoist of of a couple of 2x6s I had lying around, a hand winch from Harbor Freight and a few eye bolts and pulleys from Northern Tools. I did have to built a "U" shaped frame out of 2x6s and recess that up in the ceiling to gain a few more inches of ceiling height. I run a tie down from the 2 eye bolts to hold the top in place while lifting.

jwilson2598 01-15-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtybiketrash (Post 3232520)
I would really recommend the Harken hoister. Do a search, there are multiple write-ups and the forum, and if you go to YouTube there are videos showing one being used to pick up a top. They are available through Quadratec among other sources.

This was my ultimate solution. I had a Lange originally but it wouldn't go high enough to park under it. Switched to Harken and it went high enough to back my 08 that had 33's and a 2.5" lift under it with plenty of room.

Dawgtre 01-15-2013 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this at Dick's a while ago and had the same idea. It'll be a good starting point if nothing else.

dvdsjk 01-15-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potts (Post 3232595)
Id liek to see more pics of your jeep man. from what I can tell I like what you got going on.

Thanks man but that was two Jeeps ago!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepDawg97 (Post 3232968)
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful everyone. I was actually researching the Harken and Racor. It seems the Harken get closer to the ceiling which may be helpful with a low garage. Has anyone built their own or made modifications to the other two?

DVDSJK I see you replaced your wire with nylon. Is this as high as the hardtop will go in your garage?

Yes thats the max height. I usually dropped the top and stored it. This pic was fall mode! Between tops!!

AUskier 01-15-2013 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have about 9' garage ceilings and built my own. I was going for something a little different because I wanted it to slide over after I winched it up and store out of the way over my boat. It works great. I posted about it in this thread:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/my-...st-195680.html

Cost about $100. (would be cheaper to build if it didn't need to slide) It's built out of super strut and conduit. All available at Lowes or Home Depot although one had better pulleys than the other and I can't remember which.

Attachment 198394

Mcrock 01-15-2013 08:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)

DVDSJK I see you replaced your wire with nylon. Is this as high as the hardtop will go in your garage?[/QUOTE]

I modified the supplied hardware on my Racor. Shorter eye bolts and repositioned cable clamps gave me enough clearance to pull jeep nose under the hardtop. The Racor platform also great for winter storage of soft top.

It is a head banger when top is hanging. But removing top is 5 minute job now.

Attachment 198404

Attachment 198405

jon Love 01-15-2013 08:38 PM

I bought 2 bicycle lifts and it work for me.

dvdsjk 01-16-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcrock (Post 3233849)

I modified the supplied hardware on my Racor. Shorter eye bolts and repositioned cable clamps gave me enough clearance to pull jeep nose under the hardtop. The Racor platform also great for winter storage of soft top.

It is a head banger when top is hanging. But removing top is 5 minute job now.

Attachment 198404

Attachment 198405[/QUOTE]
I could have went higher if I kept the frame attached but I eliminated it and went with d rings . The nylon had a bad angle at this point with a 2 door top.

RoadiJeff 01-17-2013 07:15 AM

Some great cost-saving ideas in this thread. I work with Unistrut and conduit a lot, so that design might be the one I go with. Seems easy enough to fabricate.

Someone in another thread said they used a kayak hoist. I've never seen one but I'll research the cost before deciding on which one I'll get.

speedbyu 03-11-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon Love (Post 3233866)
I bought 2 bicycle lifts and it work for me.

Do you have any pictures of how you made these work? I like the Racor Lift idea, but they are only rated for 100 lbs. and I think my TJ top is close to 150. I am assuming this is why you are using two.
Thanks, Bill

twarner776 03-11-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbyu (Post 3491023)

Do you have any pictures of how you made these work? I like the Racor Lift idea, but they are only rated for 100 lbs. and I think my TJ top is close to 150. I am assuming this is why you are using two.
Thanks, Bill

The racor is rated at 250 lbs. I love mine however I have a 12 foot high garage

Sasquatchewan 03-11-2013 10:03 PM

Lange Power Hoist-a-top 8'4" ceiling the winch was mounted on the wall for maximum clearance I works great but tight I can still park in with it hanging there:thumb:

mykflor 03-17-2013 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Racor. Very happy.

OrangeJeepGuy 04-12-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykflor (Post 3514255)
Here's my Racor. Very happy.

How high is your ceiling?

mykflor 04-13-2013 08:19 PM

My garage is about 9 ft. I've got plenty of room.

JTE 04-13-2013 08:44 PM

I put my Racor on a frame I built above the rafters so the platform would crank all the way to the ceiling level, non dry walled.

Ponderosa 04-13-2013 09:05 PM

I have a Harkin with an 8 foot ceiling. I back in, lift the top and then park nose in under the top. Plenty of room for that.

angelo 04-13-2013 09:21 PM

posted this a few times today already ;)
Harken Hoist , love it..
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/8...28eeb2ae07.jpg