Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   riding the sand dunes ?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/riding-the-sand-dunes-212342.html)

krazybob 01-16-2013 01:17 PM

riding the sand dunes ??

So I decided to trade off my sand dune rider for this '88 YJ, and I'm wondering just how well these rigs do riding the dunes ? Is installing paddle tires a real necessity or will good aggressive tires work ok ? If you have been there and done that, let me know how it came out for you.

Tanks 01-16-2013 01:22 PM

I take my YJ out to pismo beach all the time. Just air way down and go. I run 31" tires with 3.07's and basically just leave it in 1st gear 4hi the entire time I'm back in the dunes. I grew up on quad's and buggys and while the yj doesn't really make for the same kind of jumping/carving that you can do with a buggy with paddles it certainly won't get stuck if you're careful!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...22476678_n.jpg

Beachcruiser 01-16-2013 01:34 PM

^x2

I've run mine on the beach for years (and we have some WAY soft sugar sand on the east coast) w/ the same (old now) tire/gear combo w/ zero problems. Being pretty light w/ decent tires makes you zoom right by the big diesel 4x4s that are probably pushin 8k lbs.

Tanks 01-16-2013 01:39 PM

As a matter of fact, It will do just fine even with helping people out...

Camper Tow Out - YouTube

(skip to like 1:58)

OregonPlinker 01-16-2013 10:57 PM

They do good on the Oregon dunes. Air down and have fun. I run 12-15psi and go a lot of places. I would love to have some paddles for mine but my bighorns do just fine. 31x10.50s

OregonPlinker 01-16-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanks (Post 3236377)
As a matter of fact, It will do just fine even with helping people out...

Camper Tow Out - YouTube

(skip to like 1:58)

Thats awesome! The biggest thing Ive pulled with mine is a suburban...

Tanks 01-16-2013 11:14 PM

To be fair we dug it out good and made the two foreign guys who got it stuck push.:whistling:

OregonPlinker 01-16-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanks (Post 3238811)
To be fair we dug it out good and made the two foreign guys who got it stuck push.:whistling:

Hahahaaaa thats good stuff. I always see people taking huge toy haulers out to camp on the beach. They will have the tow rig and then another 1-2 rigs strapped to it and just drag them to their camping spot and set up. Dont stop til they get to the spot and their all good. :punk:

Xpress 01-17-2013 09:59 AM

They're a lot more capable than most give them credit. I've heard rumors my YJ has been all through Gordons Well....

krazybob 01-17-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazybob (Post 3236304)
So I decided to trade off my sand dune rider for this '88 YJ, and I'm wondering just how well these rigs do riding the dunes ? Is installing paddle tires a real necessity or will good aggressive tires work ok ? If you have been there and done that, let me know how it came out for you.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like with the aggresive tires I run, I'll just need to lower my air pressure and then use a little more common sense than I used to use riding my quad :rolleyes:

Airboatingobx 01-17-2013 03:34 PM

Actually the more aggressive tires are the worst in the world for running in sand, you really want baldies with barely any lug to them. Unless you going to run it like a buggy, hauling ass then yes something aggressive or paddles will be better! Best way to run on sand is air down really low with whole size tires you can air down to around 8 psi and not worry to much about running them off the rim but half sizes like 16.5 don't get to much below 25 psi they don't have as big of a shoulder for the bead.

helo 01-17-2013 06:37 PM

I run 10-12psi up in the dunes at Silver Lake, Michigan. You can't go wrong with a Wrangler...though you will have to drive it a little more careful than the buggy because its higher center of gravity. You will be able to adjust quite easily. Have fun and enjoy!

SandNSun 01-18-2013 04:29 PM

I'd been running mine with open axles at Playa Bagdad Tamaulipas Mexico for 2 years now. This is my second set of wheels. The first ones were a 33 MT baja claw on 8" aluminum rims and they used to dig quickly into the sand. The second and the current one is a 34 TSL Super Swampers wuth 10" aluminum rims and they are much much much better than my first set. The wide of the rim help you a lot !