Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Travel With Doors Off (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/travel-with-doors-off-212369.html)

MrPiff 01-16-2013 02:01 PM

Travel With Doors Off

I plan on taking a weekend trip to the beach in the summer. I wanna make the trip with the doors off but would like to be able to put them on while once I get there. So I guess my question is will all four doors on a JK fit inside of it?

tvrbob 01-16-2013 02:05 PM

I stack mine on top of the baby. It shields him from debris and muffles the cries.

jkjeeper06 01-16-2013 02:07 PM

I don't believe so. Best bet is probably to buy a hitch rack and building a rack to go into that to hold the doors. Why do you want to take your doors? If you don't leave anything in the jeep, no one will reach in with sticky fingers

myrtlebeachjeep 01-16-2013 02:07 PM

How long of a trip is it? I would say it would be hard without scratches. Also you may travel thru states that require mirrors

MrPiff 01-16-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrtlebeachjeep (Post 3236661)
How long of a trip is it? I would say it would be hard without scratches. Also you may travel thru states that require mirrors

It's about 3 hours. And i'm going to be staying at a motel with a bunch of high school kids after their prom so thats why I would like to be able to keep the doors on once I'm there

Wharfrat 01-16-2013 02:39 PM

You don't want to do that, trust me. Not unless you want them to take up the entire Jeep on the way there and you don't care how dinged up they get.

I'd recommend soft doors if you were worried about weather once there (or a full cab cover) but neither is going to help you with security. And to be honest, even full doors don't help much with security when you have a soft top, though of course they do reduce the "temptation factor".

Personally I would just leave nothing IN the the Jeep and hope all goes well if you want to be doorless.

jkjeeper06 01-16-2013 02:40 PM

Yeah I think you should probably just keep the doors on if that's the case. Idk where in NY you're from but I have a buddy that back in the day they would all go to seaside NJ after prom and rent the motel out and party. The cops just wandered around the motel looking for ppl to come outside. That might be the case with you in which case, they'd love to arrest some drunk kids messing with your jeep

MudRunner 01-16-2013 03:11 PM

Wait so you want to make the 3 hour drive there without doors, then put the doors on once you get there? Usually its the opposite, Haha. Anyways, my recommendation would be to make the trip with the doors on, then store them in the motel once you get there, and at night put them back on for security. If you really wanna put the in the Jeep, you might be able to slide them in hinge up and stack them against one another with some padding. Good luck! :thumb:

myrtlebeachjeep 01-16-2013 06:36 PM

if you decide to make the trip doorless i would recommend cleaning everything out of the jeep and parking it overnight with everything unlocked. If anyone messes with it they wont break locks on console or glovebox. During the summer here when i am topless and doorless i use a cheap cover from Walmart just in case of rain and pollen..