Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Adding coil springs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/adding-coil-springs-212389.html)

Chrisco5 01-16-2013 03:14 PM

Adding coil springs

Im new to the threads and have question that someone can hopefully help me out with..
I have a 2008 JK Sahara that has the teraflex 2.5 inch coil spacer lift with shock adapters attached to my stock shocks, bump stops, rear sway bar links, brake line brackets and a track bar bracket. This kit here:

TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit w/Shock Adapters (07-13 Wrangler JK 2 Door) 1352002 - Free Shipping over $75!

Im wanting to go a little higher with it and was wondering what would be the easiest way to go about doing it. If i took out the 2.5" coil spacers and put 3 or 4 inch coil springs in would that work? Thanks

jkjeeper06 01-16-2013 04:00 PM

You want 5.5-6.5" of lift? Unless you're putting 40"s on that's so high. 37's will clear with just a fender trim and 2.5". With 3.5, no need for fender trim. How much meat do you plan on putting under there?

But to answer your question: you can do that, but you'll replace all of your control arms and drive shafts first

Chrisco5 01-16-2013 04:49 PM

Im not wanting to have the bigger 3" or 4" coil springs AND the coil spacers, I'm just wanting to know if I take off the 2.5" coil spacers and the original stock coil springs, can I add just the 3" or 4" coil springs for a total lift of 3" or 4" since I already have shock adapters, bump stops, rear sway bar links, a brake line bracket, and a track bar bracket installed? Or would I need more parts? If I do need to add more parts, what do I need?

jkjeeper06 01-16-2013 05:26 PM

Oh that makes sense. Yes you can do that. You might need to look at control arms if you get towards a 4 inch lift but that's subjective depending on how you like it

Daniel_M 01-16-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisco5 (Post 3237286)
Im not wanting to have the bigger 3" or 4" coil springs AND the coil spacers, I'm just wanting to know if I take off the 2.5" coil spacers and the original stock coil springs, can I add just the 3" or 4" coil springs for a total lift of 3" or 4" since I already have shock adapters, bump stops, rear sway bar links, a brake line bracket, and a track bar bracket installed? Or would I need more parts? If I do need to add more parts, what do I need?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3237437)
Oh that makes sense. Yes you can do that. You might need to look at control arms if you get towards a 4 inch lift but that's subjective depending on how you like it

No, you can't (or shouldn't) do that. For 3 or 4" lift you WILL need new shocks. Them adapters will not work, your OEM shocks will be over extended and you will not have any travel. You will also probably need extended brake lines and a front adjustable trackbar and rear trackbar tower/bracket. You will probably need lower control arms and a new driveshaft(s). It is not easy to go above 3" of lift, it gets expensive to do it right and dangerous to not.

-Dan