Hi, Just bought an 04 unlimited (my first Jeep) wow!!!
Hi I am new here I bought an 04 unlimited with 68000 for $12500.00
It is my first Jeep and I was amazed by how comfortable the unlimited was compared to my brother 2000 wrangler. I will be towing it behind my RV I am open to any comments regarding the towing part. :wavey:
You should talk to "Unlimited"... He tows his Unlimited behind his motor home.
Hi I found this from www.rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com does it looks right?
How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Behind An RV
First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here's how to do that:
1. Start with the key in the "accessory" position.
2. Depress the brake pedal.
3. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
4. Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
5. Start the engine.
6. Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
7. Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
8. IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
9. Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
10. Apply the parking brake.
11. Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.**
12. Release the parking brake.
*Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into PARK (P) with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running!
**Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on the Jeep Wrangler Unlmited. The bumper face bar will be damaged.
How To Shift Out Of Neutral On A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Once you reach your destination, you will want to unhook the Jeep from the tow vehicle. Here's how to do that:
1. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.
2. Shift the transfer case lever into desired position (usually 4-Hi)***
3. Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or release the clutch on a manual transmission.
***We found that it's easier to shift the transfer case into position if you start the engine on the Jeep first.
From the Jeep manual:
The transfer case NEUTRAL (N) position disengages both the front and rear driveshafts from the powertrain and will allow the vehicle to move despite the transmission position. The parking brake should always be applied with the driver is not in the vehicle."
Yep, that about covers it. Except I start mine before shifting the tc to neutral. Sometimes, it doesn't release if the motor is not running. And putting it in drive to test that the TC is really in neutral is a bad idea. If you rev it and it grabs, what is about three feet in front of you? You guessed it, THE MOTORHOME! I watched a guy hit a very expensive rig doing this. Put it in reverse instead!
The other thing you need to know is that if you are flat towing, the key needs to be turned to the first position to unlock the steering wheel.
I use a Sterling tow bar. It costs a bit more, but do you want to trust your Jeep to a $50 tow bar????
You can wire an extra set of bulbs in the stock light cans and run the wires up to a plug on the front.
Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need more info.
I just traded in a 2000 TJ and I have a base plate that came off of it, should fit the '04 Unlimited too. If interested send me a PM.
welcome to the J.E.E.P. addiction.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.|
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.