Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   replaced serpentine belt, now have whine (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/replaced-serpentine-belt-now-have-whine-212836.html)

ScubaSteveTJ 01-16-2013 08:35 PM

replaced serpentine belt, now have whine

I replaced the serpentine belt (has good tension imo) but now has a whine that wasn't there before. At idle you can't really hear it, but when the RPM's increase, so does the whine. almost reminds me of how the powersteering whines when you turn the wheels when parked. will post video tomorrow...belt route is correct... I cannot isolate sound

nick_marcil 01-16-2013 08:47 PM

If it goes away after about 5 minutes of warming up it, just add a little tension.
If not it could be a number of things, maybe a bearing on one of the pulleys.

ScubaSteveTJ 01-16-2013 08:58 PM

well I drove it about 30 miles today, doesn't seem to go away....Im thinking it may be one of the pulleys. Before I changed the belt I would get a high pitch squeal that only lasted a few seconds and would come and go, and it would stop when I let off the gas and then hit the gas again.

ljjp10 01-17-2013 05:43 AM

One of the idlers

jlapoint01 01-17-2013 08:47 AM

How many miles on the engine. Most likely one of the idlers like ljjp10 said or the tensioner itself. If you have something like a really long screwdriver, you can set the end of it on a stationary part of what you think might be squealing and put you ear to the other end and listen. Its kinda like a make shift stethoscope.

Brian05tj 01-18-2013 10:51 AM

My money is on idler pulley I just replaced mine sounds like the same problem

ScubaSteveTJ 01-18-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian05tj (Post 3244617)
My money is on idler pulley I just replaced mine sounds like the same problem

you would win!

I replaced the idler pulley this afternoon and the wine is gone! Hopefully this also fixes the high pitch screech that comes and goes at higher speeds. Will find out tomorrow on my way to work.

Thank you everyone for your replies

Brian05tj 01-19-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteveTJ

you would win!

I replaced the idler pulley this afternoon and the wine is gone! Hopefully this also fixes the high pitch screech that comes and goes at higher speeds. Will find out tomorrow on my way to work.

Thank you everyone for your replies

Right on and good luck

ScubaSteveTJ 01-19-2013 09:22 PM

well the high pitch noise did not go away after replacing the idle pulley and serpentine belt...here is a video of the noise...any ideas?

video 2013 01 19 20 32 00 1 - YouTube

4runner1988 02-21-2013 06:00 PM

I have this same issue? Have you fixed it, ScubaSteve??

Hillbilly1 02-21-2013 06:22 PM

Pretty short clip, does sound like a bearing though, could be the A/C compressor clutch assembly. Does it do it while your sitting still too? If it does watch the A/C compressor as it cycles to see if the noise follows the on/off cycle. Could also be an alternator bearing. Pull the belt off again and check for looseness on both of those pulleys.

FireMike 02-21-2013 07:04 PM

This happend to me as well! I bought the cheapest belt they had and the sqweek went away for a day or so. Went back and bought a gator back belt and cleaned all of the pulleys really well with break cleaner and put the new belt on. Had the jeep with no sounds after the new belt for about 6 months until someone rearended me and totaled the jeep lol! I would try that if all else fails!

ScubaSteveTJ 02-21-2013 09:10 PM

yes i did fix it! Its been fixed for awhile now, I updated it in another thread I posted.

I just replaced the other idle pulley that is stationary...and sound is gone

4runner1988 08-22-2013 12:15 AM

I replaced the stationary idler pulley and the other idler pulley and I still have the whine. Not sure what else to do. It happens after being on the freeway for an extended amount of time. When I give it gas the whine stops. After sitting at a stoplight for about 3 -4 mins after getting off the freeway the noise usually goes away. Any ideas?

Jeep TJ wrangler whistling noise - YouTube

4runner1988 08-22-2013 06:08 PM

Bump, please help me figure out this noise.

rjelliott 08-22-2013 06:15 PM

Mine did it when I put the a/c system on. I just kept tightening it up a little until it quit. I think the new belts tend to stretch a little when new. Been squeak clean for 4 mouths