Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Infinity system with Amp (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/infinity-system-with-amp-213205.html)

dauber1424 01-18-2013 03:18 PM

Infinity system with Amp

Just wondering if any knows if i will get more out of my infinity sub if i install a amp and run it off that. Any thoughts? looking to eventually upgrade a sub but want to use the sub tube thats already in the back. Head unit is a pioneer AVH P8400BH.

bigkevj 01-18-2013 04:04 PM

My opinion. 8" subs suck. if this one is not doing what you want, you need to get a bigger sub. Unless someone knows of an 8" sub that is worth keeping that I dont know about...

panthermark 01-18-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dauber1424 (Post 3245919)
Just wondering if any knows if i will get more out of my infinity sub if i install a amp and run it off that. Any thoughts? looking to eventually upgrade a sub but want to use the sub tube thats already in the back. Head unit is a pioneer AVH P8400BH.

Yes....
But if you are running a new amp, you will want to run a new sub anyway.

panthermark 01-18-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkevj (Post 3246192)
My opinion. 8" subs suck. if this one is not doing what you want, you need to get a bigger sub. Unless someone knows of an 8" sub that is worth keeping that I dont know about...

I was looking at the Alpine Type R DVC 8".
Alpine SWR-823D Type-R 8" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

Another very, very, very popular option is a JL 8W3 (too bad the 2 ohm version is no longer made). JL Audio 8W3v3-4 W3v3 Series 8" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

The problem is that you need a new amp to power it, plus you have to dynamat and polyfil the enclosure. And in the end, you are still stuck with the factory EQ settings.

dauber1424 01-18-2013 05:49 PM

Even with my head unit I'm stuck with factory EQ??

thinkxingu 01-18-2013 05:50 PM

Does Eclipse still make their aluminum 8"? Those were sweet!

panthermark 01-18-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dauber1424 (Post 3246817)
Even with my head unit I'm stuck with factory EQ??

Not the EQ, the EQ settings.....which are in the factory amp, not the factory HU.

You are going to get your sub signal from the stock amp...which means that you somewhat at the mercy of the factory cross-over frequency and such. And since the sub channel is always on, you can't really control the sub output from your new HU. (But you could do it with a remote amp control)

Lusus_Naturae 01-19-2013 01:42 AM

So if he used the Rca ports on the back of the headunit and ran it to an amp and then the sub (stock or aftermarket) then he would be using the headunit EQ again right? It would then bypass the factory amp settings a restrictions, right?

There's a few threads here that also address other sub option to fix the stock enclosure, the major one being the Kicker upgrade. There's also a Kicker amp upgrade for the stock amp.