Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Spidertrax installed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/spidertrax-installed-213296.html)

Jammers 01-18-2013 10:17 PM

Spidertrax installed

2 Attachment(s)
Installed 1.5" spidertrax tonight. I really like the look. I took it for a tour on the highway and there is quite a bit more road noise now. Glad I put them on before i got tires rather than at the same time. I might have to go with a quieter tire like the DT or Sst maxx (anyone know how they are for road noise?)

Before -

Attachment 199320

After -

Attachment 199321

jkmohican 01-18-2013 10:36 PM

I like the look, i always afraid of spacers though. Glad it worked out for you.

ESP 01-18-2013 10:40 PM

Spacers are really just a stepping stone and a assumed solver of wanting a wider stance. When you go to a larger tire, you'll want a wheel with proper backspacing to give you all of this without the use of spacers.

Jammers 01-19-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP
Spacers are really just a stepping stone and a assumed solver of wanting a wider stance. When you go to a larger tire, you'll want a wheel with proper backspacing to give you all of this without the use of spacers.

Actually the purpose is a wider stance AND a wider tire. Just haven't gotten the tires yet.

siddious33 01-19-2013 09:42 AM

Jammer, what is that light bar you are running on your stock bumper? Looks good! I want one.

Jammers 01-19-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddious33
Jammer, what is that light bar you are running on your stock bumper? Looks good! I want one.

Thanks Sid. It is the Real Wheels prerunner light bar. I just installed it the other day too. I think it looks awesome. The steel is a smaller diameter than my ace rails but since it is up front you don't notice. Super easy install too. Quadratec has them.

siddious33 01-19-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammers (Post 3249173)

Thanks Sid. It is the Real Wheels prerunner light bar. I just installed it the other day too. I think it looks awesome. The steel is a smaller diameter than my ace rails but since it is up front you don't notice. Super easy install too. Quadratec has them.

Sweet. Thanks!

DrugDoctor 01-19-2013 10:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just installed 1.5" spidertrax also. i was worried about scrubbing when upgrading to Duratracs 285's. I also noticed a lot more road noise but is worth the trade-off to me.

before:
Attachment 199419

after:
Attachment 199420

ESP 01-19-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammers (Post 3249019)
Actually the purpose is a wider stance AND a wider tire. Just haven't gotten the tires yet.

Spacers were designed to move the wheel out further allowing a tire mounted on a wheel with not enough backspacing to be used with minimal or no contact to suspension components. They should never be used long term or as a solution above a wheel with proper backspacing. The latter will give you the stance you are seeking and without any additional components between your wheel and suspension.

Jammers 01-19-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

Spacers were designed to move the wheel out further allowing a tire mounted on a wheel with not enough backspacing to be used with minimal or no contact to suspension components. They should never be used long term or as a solution above a wheel with proper backspacing. The latter will give you the stance you are seeking and without any additional components between your wheel and suspension.

There are quite a few people in this forum who have run them long term.

ESP 01-19-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammers (Post 3249262)
There are quite a few people in this forum who have run them long term.

Understood.

There are a lot of opinions on them certainly. I think you'll be hard pressed however to find a majority of jeep owners using them over wheels with proper backspacing. This alleviates the need for spacers and you can get as wide a tire as you would like for function/form.

Spacers are used but they are used so sparingly amongst the jeeping community for good reason. It's your jeep though and you can certainly run them and re-torque/check them if you plan on using them long term.

Jammers 01-19-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrugDoctor
I just installed 1.5" spidertrax also. i was worried about scrubbing when upgrading to Duratracs 285's. I also noticed a lot more road noise but is worth the trade-off to me.

before:

after:

Looks awesome DD. that is what I am going for.

jsmithtx 01-19-2013 03:23 PM

I ran Spidertax for about six months to finish off my stock tires. I liked the stance much better and didn't notice any more road noise. When I needed new tires I got 33" Duratracs and 16" Dick Cepek wheels with proper backspacing. For me spacers were just short term fix.

JeffC 01-19-2013 07:31 PM

after installing mine, I've been asked several times "what size lift is that?" or "is that a leveling kit?" If you have the Rubicon tires it really does change the stance. I was not even interested but a buddy called me over and gave me his. As soon as I saw the first one installed I was convinced.