Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Bed lining the Interior Opinions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/bed-lining-the-interior-opinions-213598.html)

bhsanchez72 01-20-2013 02:42 PM

Bed lining the Interior Opinions

I am thinking about tearing this carpet out and bed lining the interior. What are the plus and minuses to doing it. Any have any experience with a bed lined interior. Thanks for your opinions.

Jeeptrd 01-20-2013 02:46 PM

I am thinking about the same thing. Right now I'm welding in floor pans and think that either line x or the roll on bed liner will hide my Quick welding job the best

rykemc 01-20-2013 02:50 PM

Just did mine. Love it. I actually think it is going to cool down the floor temp as well. Check out the link in my signature for my build thread and you can see what it will look like. I used the Raptor brand. That is a spray type of liner

rmloke1 01-20-2013 02:52 PM

I rhinolined the interior of mine, the plus's are it looks great if you do it right, read the directions very carefully and apply at least 3 coats. The only minus I remember is disassembling and reassembling the interior took quite a while. But it looks great when you finish! Well worth the money I spent on it. One suggestion I can make, my floor boards were pretty rusty, so I used rustoleum which turned the rust into primer. Oh and make sure you sand everything down before you apply the liner.

Jeeptrd 01-20-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmloke1
I rhinolined the interior of mine, the plus's are it looks great if you do it right, read the directions very carefully and apply at least 3 coats. The only minus I remember is disassembling and reassembling the interior took quite a while. But it looks great when you finish! Well worth the money I spent on it. One suggestion I can make, my floor boards were pretty rusty, so I used rustoleum which turned the rust into primer. Oh and make sure you sand everything down before you apply the liner.

Can you post some pics? I'm dying to see what mine might look like

Jeeptrd 01-20-2013 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My floors now.

Jeeptrd 01-20-2013 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New patch

bhsanchez72 01-21-2013 07:28 AM

How many cans does it take?

Scott-CJ8 01-21-2013 07:43 AM

:thumb: Oh, yes... it's a great improvement. Helps deaden the sound, looks great, cleans up easy. I Rhino-Lined the entire inside of my Scrambler and plan to do the same to my Wrangler as soon as the funds are available.

lynskynbnd 01-21-2013 08:01 AM

www.monstaliner.com

http://www.monstaliner.com/images/co...ge-150x150.jpg

Can be brushed, sprayed or rolled. Has UV protectors built in.
37 colors to choose from.

I plan to do my whole tub, in and out, in Dark Burnt Orange.

Beach-Bum 01-21-2013 08:16 AM

ive heard to bad things about monstaliner.... i have to replace my driver side floor pan and then im going to be doing this when its warmer out.

harleydragon 01-21-2013 08:18 AM

aerosol cans will be thin..I like the roll on..2 of our jeeps have herculiner and I love it.It is thick and has small rubber chunks which keeps our dog or parts that we haul from sliding around

harleydragon 01-21-2013 08:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
my wifes yj

Beach-Bum 01-21-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon
my wifes yj

Looks great Harley

One gallon good enough?

91jeepster 01-21-2013 12:34 PM

Do you need to remove the roll bars?

hartattack 01-21-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91jeepster

I didn't for mine. It's up to you.

harleydragon 01-21-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach-Bum (Post 3256029)
Looks great Harley

One gallon good enough?

yes..she put 2 heavy coats and had about a pint left out of a gallon

harleydragon 01-21-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91jeepster (Post 3256649)

no..just be careful or tape it off..we don't tape ours but use a 1 or 2 inch brush to paint right up to the edges of the roll bar plates

Joshin33 01-22-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 3255846)
my wifes yj

What is this? Raptor, Monsta, what?

harleydragon 01-22-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshin33 (Post 3260838)

herculiner

bhsanchez72 01-22-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshin33 (Post 3260838)

Brands of bedliner

Desert Scorpion 01-23-2013 01:39 PM

I used spray in Raptor liner works well and looks great. i thought that being black it would get hot in the summer but it actually stays cooler than it did with the carpet. only down side to having this is its uncomfortable when working inside the car and any cargo you are transporting needs a towel or carpet. my bed liner likes to shred grocery bags.

Beach-Bum 01-23-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Scorpion
I used spray in Raptor liner works well and looks great. i thought that being black it would get hot in the summer but it actually stays cooler than it did with the carpet. only down side to having this is its uncomfortable when working inside the car and any cargo you are transporting needs a towel or carpet. my bed liner likes to shred grocery bags.

Rubber floor mats will solve that

OverkillYJ 01-23-2013 03:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Spray in will not compare to good roll on liner. The texture you get with roll on is very nice and you can also lay some pretty thick coats. Plus Monstaliner for example is 3 parts which react with each other to harden and create a good coat. My buddy sprayed while I did Monstaliner and he is pretty jealous. As far as the quality of Monstaliner, stuff is extremely tough and has held up awesome. The things you need to realize about inside though is that it will be hotter on the floor from the exhaust and transmission, and the noise will be louder. The passenger side is hotter than the driver side because the exhaust is on that side. You will learn quick though that Carpeting is actually a lot more sound dampening and a comfort thing than you might think. I agree with the floor mats though. That not only keeps the heat out but the sound down a bit.

For welded floor pans and things, you use seam sealer on everything as well as primer. Seam sealer will cost you $30 for a tube, but it seals the seams and has some give to it. That stops it from cracking under the liner and screwing it up. It is made by 3M and the only place I could find that sold it was NAPA. No one else even knew what it was. Fortunately for me my father in law helped who did body work for 20+ years and showed me the proper ways to do it right.

I love it.

richsipe 01-23-2013 03:24 PM

I keep tossing this idea around. My Sammy had the interior some kind of lined (was like that when I bought it) and I didn't like it BECAUSE it was impossible to clean. After going to the dunes or in the mud I could never get it clean again. Hard to vacuum out the sand and the dirt kind of stained. Even with the hose on it - Sammy after all - and a brush I was still never happy.

I have heard that Monstaliner has a harder texture which sounds to be to be cleanable and from the research I have done - good feedback. Anybody agree / disagree?

OverkillYJ 01-23-2013 03:36 PM

I use a bucket of water and a scrub brush, then shop vac out the wet mud left over and wipe it with a wet towel. Looks brand new afterwards. The cheaper stuff is a pain in the ass because it doesnt harden up right and stuff sticks to it more.

Desert Scorpion 01-25-2013 10:18 AM

Spray in bed liner can get the same texture as a roll in. there are tons of different nozzle options and adjustments to get the texture you want. If anything spray in offers more textures. i went with a little bit of a thicker chunkier spray so that it doesn't get slippery when there is a lot of snow and ice that i track inside.

bajonesy77 01-25-2013 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put raptor liner in mine 3 years ago. Has held up and other than being dirty looks the same. Plus its a 2 part product not just a paint and the kit comes with the spray nozzle and you mix and spray from the bottle so its mess free.

OverkillYJ 01-25-2013 01:22 PM

Yeah a shutz gun will spray texture, and I have a 80 gallon compressor and everything needed, but there are a lot more rollers to choose from to get it perfect. Rollers defenitly give you more control over texture.

bajonesy77 01-25-2013 04:46 PM

With the gun you can just adjust the psi and the distance your spraying to get different textures. The bottom line is it has to last no matter the texture.