Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   HELlP PLEASE!!! Radiator Problems! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/hellp-please-radiator-problems-213635.html)

Aust9002 01-20-2013 06:05 PM

HELlP PLEASE!!! Radiator Problems!

The other day we replaced my radiator in my '97 TJ and the hoses a couple days later it was starting to leak or at least we thought so today we replaced the factory clamp with a better one and made sure the bottom hose was on there tight. Then we filled it back up with fluid and burped it after we burped it I took it for a drive around the block and the temp got over 260 degrees and started to smoke everywhere when we looked to see if the hose was still connected it was on there perfectly and it leaked almost all of the radiator fluid out and it almost looked like it was leaking from the oil pan Please Help!!! any ideas? when we replaced the radiator we also replaced the thermostat and all of the hoses.

doclouie 01-20-2013 06:15 PM

It is coming from somewhere. Pour it in and see. If you put a cheapo radiator in I have heard about them coming straight from the factory with leaks. The PO put in a radiator into mine from Autozone and it only lasted 1.5 years.

Aust9002 01-20-2013 06:29 PM

Wasn't a cheap radiator

We bought a good radiator from napa and it is deffinetly not leaking from the actual radiator.

JPi4.0 01-20-2013 06:33 PM

Is leaking in front of the engine and running down the pan?
If it is its your water pump. It has a weep hole in the pump. When the seal goes out the water leaks out of the weep hole

BadPenny 01-20-2013 06:34 PM

Could be leaking from the water pump?

doclouie 01-20-2013 07:19 PM

We need pictures to really help.

clarkkent 01-20-2013 07:40 PM

I would fill it with water and then use a pressure tester to see where it is leaking.

After two aftermarket all aluminum radiators failing me I finally just bought an OEM replacement online.

Aust9002 01-20-2013 09:03 PM

I think we might just have a hole in the hose we put on there. But the unfortunate thing is that they were brand new...

Wattapunk 01-21-2013 07:02 AM

I would also check the upper hose and thermostat housing. Any upper leaks could run down the motor and give the appearance of a bottom leak. It will also cause the smoke from the leak boil off on the engine. How did you burp the radiator and did the new thermostat came with a vent hole?

dwesto 01-21-2013 07:13 AM

I just got done replacing the lifters on my 03 Rubicon about 2 weeks ago and when i replaced the thermostat gasket it was leaking from the bottom of the thermostat housing. I took it apart again and found the gasket would tear cause it was too thin and didn't fit properly. I bought some thicker gasket material and made the gasket. It was really easy and fixed the leak

ohioviper 01-21-2013 08:54 AM

Just replaced an autozone radiator in my sons TJ . We put it in day before Thanksgiving and had a small leak ever since I could not find.Was starting to think head or head gasket.
It was split at the very bottom and I swear you could not see it leaking but you could feel it was damp. It finally let go yesterday and pissed out. They swapped no questions asked .

The OEM one is also plastic top and bottom. I am leaning towards an all aluminum one or an exact oem one. Where are folks getting the OEM one and what brand is it ? The one from Autozone is a Spectre which I read was the OE supplier ?

obidya 01-21-2013 09:59 AM

When mine finally goes im going to get an old school brass monster. It will outlast the aluminum and out cool the aluminum. The only problem is they are heavy, but I'm already compensating for a winch and other up front the extra few lbs is no concern of mine.

robx4 01-21-2013 10:03 AM

I just installed one of the CFS all brass radiators on my TJ in September. Rock solid and went in just like OE. Best part is lower temps across the board. Highly recommended!

obidya 01-21-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robx4 (Post 3256119)
I just installed one of the CFS all brass radiators on my TJ in September. Rock solid and went in just like OE. Best part is lower temps across the board. Highly recommended!

thats exactly what I am planning on, that and an electric fan. :thumb: