Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Long Arm vs. Short Arm Lift Kits (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/long-arm-vs-short-arm-lift-kits-213698.html)

RufusPumble 01-20-2013 10:00 PM

Long Arm vs. Short Arm Lift Kits

Hey Guys -

I don't want to get into too much of a brand-based discussion on this thread. It seems like there are alot of threads that get into discussions of the price vs. performance of various lift kit vendors... I don't really want to go down that rabbit hole..

What I would like to know is the difference between a long arm kit and a short arm kit - as well as the benefits and drawbacks to each. I intend to have about a 4" lift and now have to decide between long arm/short arm.

Thanks -
Rufus

DevilDogDoc 01-20-2013 10:37 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...&client=safari

_KONG_ 01-21-2013 12:11 AM

Long arms have longer arms then short arms

Jamesnewjeep 01-21-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 3255020)

Why post a response that is just gonna redirect him to a different forum? Seems like you could have just helped or not bothered posting at all.

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesnewjeep (Post 3255292)
Why post a response that is just gonna redirect him to a different forum? Seems like you could have just helped or not bothered posting at all.

i agree.. i have same question as OP

JReed615 01-21-2013 01:46 AM

It depends how you intend to use it. A long arm lift will cost significantly more. Also, if you plan on doing anything extreme, the long arms can get hung out. The long arm will handle better on road. I'd recommend the short arm lift for 4", long arm for 6" or more

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 01:48 AM

with the short arm does it ride ruff? or is it like a budget boost on steroids?

JReed615 01-21-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1
with the short arm does it ride ruff? or is it like a budget boost on steroids?

No, that doesn't really affect how it rides, the shocks and springs will decide that. Just FYI, I would say like 90% of lifted jeeps are short arm (no actual statistics).

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed615 (Post 3255430)
No, that doesn't really affect how it rides, the shocks and springs will decide that. Just FYI, I would say like 90% of lifted jeeps are short arm (no actual statistics).

wow good to know.. Im taking mine to a local shop its 800.00 for SA and its 2500 for LA

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 01:54 AM

so i take it the LA is for major trails?

JReed615 01-21-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

wow good to know.. Im taking mine to a local shop its 800.00 for SA and its 2500 for LA

Just make sure it's a COMPLETE lift, and good quality.. Do you know what kind you are getting?

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 02:01 AM

no but the company is real repitable. come get you some off road.. here where i live. i will find out though. i figure its ruff country

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 02:02 AM

complete lift? meaning?

Raiderfan001 01-21-2013 02:07 AM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/anyo...ml#post3186299

bangingears 01-21-2013 02:13 AM

^that it comes with everything, the problem is on TJ's some kits come without NEEDED stuff, drop track bar brackets, brake lines, etc.

LA is a better kit, it sticks geometry into better angles, it articulates better its the best set up. Short arm is a cheaper more weekend warrior set up. for the guy who wants a lift but doesnt have the 2500+ to spend or isnt MR.Crawler, and wants to do the very technical trails every weekend.

What do I recommend? 95% of the people who drive tj's will never ever need a long arm suspension... the other 5% will.... try to not cheat yourself, put on the kit you really need. If you find yourself dreaming of the MOAB, or Hammers, or ____________<entersicktrail> then save up the extra dough and do it right. I HATE paying for things twice

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 02:16 AM

ya im a mall crawler so short arm for me. I think these guys will do me right on my SA. is there certain questions i can ask them to see if they are on the up?

JReed615 01-21-2013 02:16 AM

Exactly.

Don't forget that a 4" lift will over-extend your driveshaft. This can be fixed with a transfer case drop or mml or whatever, but I recommend a slip-yoke eliminator and CV driveshaft.

Brew 01-21-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

no but the company is real repitable. come get you some off road.. here where i live. i will find out though. i figure its ruff country

Doesn't sound like a real reputable shop if they are recommending you buy Rough Country.

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brew (Post 3255454)
Doesn't sound like a real reputable shop if they are recommending you buy Rough Country.

i just guessed i have no idea what brand ill call them monday..

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed615 (Post 3255453)
Exactly.

Don't forget that a 4" lift will over-extend your driveshaft. This can be fixed with a transfer case drop or mml or whatever, but I recommend a slip-yoke eliminator and CV driveshaft.

holy crap.. more$ they said it would be road ready when they was done:banghead:

JReed615 01-21-2013 02:21 AM

Rough country may not be that bad.. Idk personally. I wouldn't recommend their shocks though, I've heard it's called "Rough" country for a reason... Bilstein shocks would probably suit you

JReed615 01-21-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

holy crap.. more$ they said it would be road ready when they was done:banghead:

That's usually how it goes.. You don't NEED the SYE and driveshaft, but without it, it may cause some vibrations. You could try without it, and upgrade if it vibrates. Or even just put it off for a while. My jeep had the stock drive shaft on it when I got it with the 4" lift. I drove it for months without too big of a problem, and I assume to PO did the same. It did vibrate slightly, and I didn't want it to get over extended while flexing so I upgraded.

Jeeplover1 01-21-2013 03:00 AM

ok thanks

sparkfan 01-21-2013 04:44 AM

I put long arms under my RUBICON and went from 18" of flex to 40". That is the difference. I did put the Rough Country under it but since then I have replaced the Johnny Joints with Currey parts and replaced the shocks with Billstein remote reservoir shocks. Works awesome now.

RufusT 01-21-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkfan (Post 3255564)
I put long arms under my RUBICON and went from 18" of flex to 40". That is the difference. I did put the Rough Country under it but since then I have replaced the Johnny Joints with Currey parts and replaced the shocks with Billstein remote reservoir shocks. Works awesome now.

Interesting way to build a lift - replacing components on a lesser expensive lift with higher quality.. did it cost more to do it this way, than it would to just buy a higher class of lift?

UnlimitedLJ04 01-21-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RufusPumble (Post 3254855)
What I would like to know is the difference between a long arm kit and a short arm kit - as well as the benefits and drawbacks to each.

This is too complex of an explanation to get a meaningful response here.

But as mentioned, the major difference is the length. Long arms are longer than the stock arm length. Arm lengths roughly around the same as stock are normally called short arms. There's also mid arms, which is in between long and short.

You need to do a lot of homework on suspension geometry to understand the differences, and why these different options exist. Some will say the long arm's flex better, or ride better, but the truth is that's a sign of inexperience and lack of understanding for how suspensions work. The arm length (and arm mounting bracket position) change the arc in which the axles travels, that's it.

Here's some discussion to read:
Goodbye Long Arms... hello short arms - JeepForum.com
Are short arms the new long arms? - JeepForum.com

and some build threads:
'rock crawling go-cart' or something - JeepForum.com
Yellow, Red, Long and Soft.... - JeepForum.com
Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps thread - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 (Post 3255422)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 (Post 3255433)
so i take it the LA is for major trails?

no. see above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 (Post 3255443)
complete lift? meaning?

A "complete lift" involves: New springs, new shocks, all 8 adjustable control arms with Currie Johnny Joints, longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, regearing the axles, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE/CV shaft, proper length bumpstop extension determined by cycling the suspension, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket, and welded on reinforcement for a few brackets, if not replacing those brackets with thicker walled options.

Imped 01-21-2013 08:59 AM

Rubicon Owners Forum - View topic - Long arms vs. short arms?

Suspension Geometry - JeepForum.com

Much of that will be over your head. You need to learn, comprehend and understand before opening your wallet and spending money with strangers. You'll likely end up with total junk doing it that way.

DevilDogDoc 01-21-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesnewjeep (Post 3255292)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 (Post 3255422)

Because when I don't know something and I want to learn rather than ask a question that has been asked and answered a million times I search for it. Then, if I am still unclear as to something then I ask a specific question. And I didn't redirect to a different forum, it's a little something called Google....

Jamesnewjeep 01-21-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 3255991)
Because when I don't know something and I want to learn rather than ask a question that has been asked and answered a million times I search for it. Then, if I am still unclear as to something then I ask a specific question. And I didn't redirect to a different forum, it's a little something called Google....

The first link that shows on google however is a link to jeep forum. Also he may have searched and read for all you know and maybe he was still unclear, thus he asked the question. So people don't always get it the first try. Plus making an active thread allows him to continue asking question for clarity instead of reading a post that makes no sense. Otherwise why have a forum at all?

jasongind 01-21-2013 10:08 AM

When I first got my Jeep I wanted the best set up I could get. I did research, talked to guys I wheeled with, and guys at my local 4x4 shop. They all seemed to agree long arm was the way to go. ~$7,000 later in parts I'm riding on a Teraflex 4" long arm kit (all other mods are in sig. Mind you I did all the labor my self minus welding the long arm bracket to the frame. I do love this kit, minus the height of the Jeep which I'll get too, never had the lowers hang up on anything like people talk about and I wheel some tough trails in the Colorado Rockies.

After wheeling for the last 8+ months, finding Rokmen, and learning about Low CG Jeeps I will be removing the Teraflex 4" long arm kit for a 2" OME short arm kit, high-line fenders, dana 60's, and 38"-40" tires.

It sucks spending all that money just to go a different route, but you live you learn and I'll be able to recoup a good bit of money after selling the Rubicon Dana 44's with lockers and really only need to replace the lowers and have new brackets welded on for the lowers. I researched for over a month and somehow never came across LCG Jeeps. But now that I've learned about them and been wheeling here in Colorado I think LCG is the only way to go.

Check out rokmen.com, Jeff builds some amazing rigs on short arms that out perform any long arm kit out there.