Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Connecticut Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/)
-   -   Anyone currently offroad in ellington? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f92/anyone-currently-offroad-in-ellington-213744.html)

MuddyTJ97 01-21-2013 09:28 AM

Anyone currently offroad in ellington?

Have a place I go in ellington. It's all marked logging roads. Big place tons of trails. Mud, water crossings, rocks, some crawling. I've been going there for yrs and yrs. as long as you stay on the trails and tread lightly its a great place. I've seen many other jeeps in there and people even the workers. Just wave and keep going no problems. If anyone is interested in going or has gone let me know. Don't wanna put to much info on here, message me if interested.

MuddyTJ97 01-22-2013 02:19 PM

Bump..... No one us ever been? I have seen many jeeps over the years..... Just wondering if anyone has really explored in there.

MarkGLHS 01-22-2013 03:16 PM

this is news for me, i live in ellington and was not aware of any trails that were not private, posted land.

where is the trail (i know the entire area just drop a clue)? i'd be interested in taking my 2002 TJ on a local trail.

MuddyTJ97 01-22-2013 06:18 PM

It's right off rt 83 near the tsi Harley and that airport. It's a road that was never finished. Road ends and turns to dirt and says unimproved road drive at our own risk. It's all logging roads. There are some trails that say no trespassing where equipment and log piles are. Other then that they are marked trails go for ever. They come out by stafford. It goes from being a dirt road to tight technical trails with mud, rock crawls, small water crossings. Pretty awesome in there. Went there 10yrs ago for the first time. Stumbled across it one late night. Just got back into offroading few months ago and headed back down there again. Still as awesome as ever. Maybe better that its all marked now. Was in the for 2 hrs and never found the end. Ended up turning around was running out of time had somewhere to be. Wild like to check it out further with more jeeps. Not fun by yourself especially if something breaks or stuck

Jersey Sahara 01-22-2013 09:10 PM

I'd be down to come out in wheel in a few weeks. I go to school in new haven and am looking for places to wheel. I need a place to really test out my new Aussie locker too!

MarkGLHS 01-23-2013 05:50 AM

thanks MUDDY for that description, i live about 3 miles from the ellington airport and drive by that area a lot and never knew such a trail existed. i will for sure be checking it out come spring.

so if it goes towards stafford, the road must begin on the east side of Rt 83, the opposite side that the airport and tsi are located at, right? can the beginning be seen when i am on Rt 83? thanks, i'm looking forward to meeting some local jeepers.

Tiki Dave 01-23-2013 06:29 AM

I'd be up for checking that out with others.

Unfortunately I got rid of my lifted Jeep and got a new one. A clean easel that is in need or tweaking. So far I only have new M/Ts on it. Looking to lift it this spring. Is the trail doable in a stock JK?

MuddyTJ97 01-23-2013 06:53 AM

only if you dont mind scratching ur paint and possibly running your skid on some rocks every now and again. trails get pretty tight and rocky... not boulders but good size rocks. have heard of people doing it in stock jeeps. know someone who brought a stock rubicon there did the trail but not all way. he wasnt a experienced wheeler though

Tiki Dave 01-23-2013 04:27 PM

If I was afraid of scratches then I bought the wrong vehicle. Lol
I'm always up for an easy to moderate trail if that's what it is. I'm no where's near ready for something crazy. Maybe after the lift and sliders.

MuddyTJ97 01-23-2013 05:05 PM

Haha ok good to hear me either. We should get something going with a few of us locals to meet up and head in there.

Tiki Dave 01-23-2013 06:52 PM

I'm totally up for that. Might even be able to bring a buddy with his TJ.

MuddyTJ97 01-23-2013 07:09 PM

Do you have any time during the week or just weekends?

Tiki Dave 01-23-2013 07:56 PM

Weekends for now but when it gets lighter longer, then weekdays open up.

MuddyTJ97 01-24-2013 06:55 PM

Bump... we should plan something out to go do this trail.. who's in and what days and time work for you?

Jersey Sahara 01-24-2013 08:19 PM

Weekends are best for me. Probably Sunday for me

Tiki Dave 01-24-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuddyTJ97
Bump... we should plan something out to go do this trail.. who's in and what days and time work for you?

Weekends are best for now.
This weekend is open.

RubiconRich 01-24-2013 09:25 PM

I'm up for it got my CJ pinstriped years ago LOL

MuddyTJ97 01-24-2013 09:31 PM

Just to make sure everyone is clear I have not been to the end of this trail in about 8 yrs. just got back into offroading. Went to this road 2 weeks ago but didnt make it to the end. Ran out of time and had to turn around. But for the time I was in there it was awesome great time. Little sketchy being deep in he woods alone though. So i def wanna get a group together and complete the trail. 8 yrs ago I was there 3 times a week or more for hrs and hrs. So anyone who goes with me we will be exploring together.

Lets do this. Lets set it up

eng1ne9 01-25-2013 07:56 AM

I'm interested in a ride. I was down that road last month for the first time and had some fun but wasn't sure about the run-offs with signs posted so I just stayed on the main road.

MuddyTJ97 01-25-2013 08:03 AM

Did u go all the way? When I came to no trespassing I would turn around didn't see many

MuddyTJ97 01-25-2013 08:04 AM

II was way out there in woods

eng1ne9 01-25-2013 09:04 AM

I went down a hill until I saw a posted sign then turned around. Plus it was getting dark so not much time to explore. Def gotta go back!

MuddyTJ97 01-25-2013 10:31 AM

Actually I know what ur talking about how went that way too. There is a trail that goes left or straight down that hill. If u go left its yellow marked trail turns back to blue. It goes forever. Thats where it starts o get Rocky and tight.

MuddyTJ97 01-26-2013 07:42 PM

Home sick looking at some topo maps on iPad. Gonna try to hit this trail from the other end and see where it takes me. Also found another trail I forgot about only a few streets down that's even longer. Could have the potential for some good offroading over there. May check it all sometime tomorrow both places.

RubiconRich 01-26-2013 10:04 PM

I've seen the topo map you gotta stay on the road those trails on the left and right are hiking trails.Don't forget the land maybe posted but the use of the town road.

Tiki Dave 01-26-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuddyTJ97
Home sick looking at some topo maps on iPad. Gonna try to hit this trail from the other end and see where it takes me. Also found another trail I forgot about only a few streets down that's even longer. Could have the potential for some good offroading over there. May check it all sometime tomorrow both places.

When you thinking about going?

MuddyTJ97 01-27-2013 08:05 AM

Possibly today

Tiki Dave 01-27-2013 08:33 PM

So did you go out today?

MuddyTJ97 01-27-2013 08:41 PM

Didn't do much of anything today. Still have this stomach bug. Probably going Tuesday mid morning to check out few places over there. I'll try to remember to take pics.

Toolin Around 01-28-2013 02:53 PM

I have done some ATVing around there. I just bought my first Jeep, a 2008 Rubicon. Would love to try some easy trails first because it is stock and I have only been off road on ATVs. Let me know when you are going. I live in Ellington.