Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Tell me about D30 lockers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/tell-me-about-d30-lockers-213746.html)

AV8R 01-21-2013 09:37 AM

Tell me about D30 lockers
 
It's about time for a locker for my front axle. For now and until I go full-width, I will go with a lunchbox locker so I can DIY. I'm also going to install a Posilok cable.

With a locker, I assume that my front drive shaft will be live and turn in 2WD, correct?

Which D30 locker do you have or recommend?

Xpress 01-21-2013 10:19 AM

A lunchbox only locks up with torque being applied to it, so in 2wd mode your front axle will be like normal, especially without the passenger shaft engaged.

pocketpistolpete 01-21-2013 10:27 AM

Not to hijack, but i am in a very similar position looking into lockers...a posilock cable (engaged and pulled to "lock" the front axle) would keep the front axle locked with or without torque correct? and alos keep it lock even in 2wd?

i have heard good things about detroit d30 lockers...

Steampunk 01-21-2013 10:27 AM

Hey!

Ive used an EZ locker (quite a few years back) and two Aussie Lockers.......I'd recommend the Aussie locker.....not too noisy, and both always worked as expected....easy install too.

AV8R 01-21-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steampunk (Post 3256205)
Hey!

Ive used an EZ locker (quite a few years back) and two Aussie Lockers.......I'd recommend the Aussie locker.....not too noisy, and both always worked as expected....easy install too.

After some more reading, I ordered an Aussie for $259.00 shipped. I'm off work next week so I'll install it then. Can't freakin wait!

Nickabis 01-21-2013 08:07 PM

I went Spartan locker and tj shafts. My front driveline is always spinning now but I was lucky not to have any vibration.

My Spartan came with a hardened cross pin and does not use thrust washers. Installation was pretty simple. The carrier may need to be removed. Make sure all the Bearing caps and hardware are installed exactly how you removed it.

Norcal_Chris 01-21-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 3256168)
A lunchbox only locks up with torque being applied to it, so in 2wd mode your front axle will be like normal, especially without the passenger shaft engaged.

No it wont.

Your front shaft will spin. Ive also noticed the locker is always engaged untill you coast a turn. It is locked untill one tire spins faster than another without torque applied. With the disco not engaged there is no resistance from the disco side so it spins all the time like it is locked.


I have a spartan In the front and for 259shipped it was one of the best cost effective mods i have done.

Nickabis 01-21-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcal_Chris (Post 3258609)

No it wont.

Your front shaft will spin. Ive also noticed the locker is always engaged untill you coast a turn. It is locked untill one tire spins faster than another without torque applied. With the disco not engaged there is no resistance from the disco side so it spins all the time like it is locked.

I have a spartan In the front and for 259shipped it was one of the best cost effective mods i have done.

He it's actually correct, you shouldn't notice the locker in the front while in 2wd. You may want to check you setup. My locker is never engaged until I put it in 4wd. It never binds, ratchets, or engages while in 2wd while driving around a corner. My front driveline spines because I have a one piece shaft from a tj.

dustinwilcoxson 01-21-2013 08:51 PM

I have the lock rite locker in mine with the cable love it

Norcal_Chris 01-21-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickabis (Post 3258657)
He it's actually correct, you shouldn't notice the locker in the front while in 2wd. You may want to check you setup. My locker is never engaged until I put it in 4wd. It never binds, ratchets, or engages while in 2wd while driving around a corner. My front driveline spines because I have a one piece shaft from a tj.

I never said you will notice it. I said it will be engaged even with a disco and your driveshaft will spin.

Occasionally it will pop now if i am fully turned in like a parking lot and back out now that i have a non disco axle. But that is the extent of it.

denisbaldwin 01-22-2013 05:11 AM

I did the "go big or go home" approach with mine. Did the Detroit for my D30. After having driven in a few Detroit in the front setups before, I realized that it made no difference in 2WD (Still streetable) but, as soon as I put it in 4WD, I was in business.

dustinwilcoxson 01-22-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws 95 wrangler (Post 3259301)

Ok cool I will and that's one thing it needs are seals where did u get urs?

Quadratec

AV8R 01-22-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denisbaldwin (Post 3260182)
I did the "go big or go home" approach with mine. Did the Detroit for my D30. After having driven in a few Detroit in the front setups before, I realized that it made no difference in 2WD (Still streetable) but, as soon as I put it in 4WD, I was in business.

I'm going with a Detroit in the rear when I get my 8.8.

I would think the front driveshaft would spin in 2WD with a locker. I guess I should expect to have it balanced if I get a vibration.

eatdirt 01-22-2013 04:33 PM

I believe the driveshaft spins even in 2 wheel without a locker. This is why you can shift into 4 hi at 20mph

AV8R 01-28-2013 07:27 AM

I know i have to pull the driver's side axle out a few inches... Since the passenger side is CAD, how do I move that center shaft over so I can remove the carrier?

dustinwilcoxson 01-28-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AV8R (Post 3288484)
I know i have to pull the driver's side axle out a few inches... Since the passenger side is CAD, how do I move that center shaft over so I can remove the carrier?

If i remember right u can pull cad cover off and grab it there and slide it over it sticks in there about half way

Tyler92yj 01-28-2013 01:08 PM

in a dana 30 with 4:10 gears you will have to pull the carrier the ring gear is to big to get the locker in the center i just did one yester day

djwrangler 01-28-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatdirt (Post 3262439)
I believe the driveshaft spins even in 2 wheel without a locker. This is why you can shift into 4 hi at 20mph

With the stock axle disconnect and open differential, the driveshaft won't spin. You can shift into 4hi up to 55mph.

AV8R 01-29-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler92yj (Post 3289525)
in a dana 30 with 4:10 gears you will have to pull the carrier the ring gear is to big to get the locker in the center i just did one yester day

:punk: I got-r-done yesterday! Pro-tip: unbolt the driver's side tie rod end and zip tie it up out of the way.

I'm doing the posi lock cable today.

AV8R 01-31-2013 05:14 PM

Got the posi-lok cable and Solid diff cover installed. Went for a test spin today... :dance:

I feel invincible in my YJ now. Hopefully I'll have my winch installed in the next week or two and then I'll be set for a bit while I shop for an 8.8 rearend.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.