Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Need to vent bad water pump on 2013 (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/need-to-vent-bad-water-pump-on-2013-a-213799.html)

safetyharborgator 01-21-2013 02:46 PM

Need to vent bad water pump on 2013

I have a 2013 JKU Sahara, which from reading on the forums has a bad water pump from the tell tale chirping sound. I took it into my dealer on Friday and they told me it was the alternator and advised they needed to order it.

Well Monday rolls around and they call and advise me that they replaced the alternator and it didn't fix the problem. They now believe it is the water pump, which is what I told them from the beginning.

The bad part is apparently the water pump is on back order and they have no clue when they expect to receive one. To top it off they refuse to provide a loaner car. Just needed to vent.

panthermark 01-21-2013 02:50 PM

Sucks dude...

But I "think" that loaners are through Chrysler, not always through the dealer. I'm sure someone else can chime in on that portion.

Oh...and Welcome to WF

ltsrapcon 01-21-2013 02:57 PM

Check with your insurance, mine pays for a car rental if mine is in the shop for any reason.

jkjeeper06 01-21-2013 03:09 PM

Call around and see if any other dealers provide loaners. Nothing is stopping you from taking your jeep back and bringing it somewhere else. Is there an aftermarket pump they can grab from napa or auto zone and toss in there? At least till the mopar part comes if you have to have mopar?

benjamin.allen 01-21-2013 03:15 PM

Don't know if you got any extra warranties my dealer threw it in to sweeten the deal but that warranty covers loaners

Con Artist 01-21-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin.allen (Post 3257177)
Don't know if you got any extra warranties my dealer threw it in to sweeten the deal but that warranty covers loaners

I thought the factory 3yr/36k covered a rental if they need to keep your vehicle overnight? :confused:

benjamin.allen 01-21-2013 03:54 PM

Mine is an 08 that i just picked up

Strokerswild 01-21-2013 05:26 PM

Time for a rant to Chrysler. They should be providing a loaner on a new vehicle.

caneman6 01-21-2013 07:17 PM

I have the EXACT same problem. I have a whistling noise coming from the engine area. Took it to the dealer last week and they said it was the alternator. They replaced the alternator, and the "whistle" was still there. Took it back today and they told me it was the water pump. Which they also told me is on back order with no clue on when it will be available.

My 2013 JK has less than 7000 miles and the dealer has replaced both front brakes and rotors (due to the brakes squealing), the alternator and now will be replacing the water pump when it is in stock.

And no, they've kept the vehicle over night twice and would not give me a loaner.

Hope this is not a lemon.

SilverSport 01-21-2013 07:23 PM

Dealers ARE NOT required to provide a loaner. If the warranty repairs require leaving your Jeep at the dealer more than a day, you need to call Jeep Customer Assistance and request they pay for a rental. Most times they will do so.

benjamin.allen 01-21-2013 07:41 PM

That sucks the dealer i use will give a loaners on them if your vehicle is there for more than a couple hours.

Rubiconpoor 01-21-2013 08:05 PM

I work for a Honda and Acura dealership, we have about 60 loaner cars between the two. The expense is on the dealership and the factory, however the factory does give us some assistance with it, about 50/50.
So most likely the Jeep dealers who offer loaners are doing it for good customer service surveys. And they should get recognized for that effort.

cheap4tw 01-21-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caneman6 (Post 3258230)
I have the EXACT same problem. I have a whistling noise coming from the engine area. Took it to the dealer last week and they said it was the alternator. They replaced the alternator, and the "whistle" was still there. Took it back today and they told me it was the water pump. Which they also told me is on back order with no clue on when it will be available.

My 2013 JK has less than 7000 miles and the dealer has replaced both front brakes and rotors (due to the brakes squealing), the alternator and now will be replacing the water pump when it is in stock.

And no, they've kept the vehicle over night twice and would not give me a loaner.

Hope this is not a lemon.

At least you got them to replace the brake pads/rotors. I've been fighting with my dealership since 10000km regarding brake noise and am getting the run around.

WXman 01-21-2013 08:37 PM

What is the deal with these 3.6Ls? First heads, then heater cores, now water pumps? I have absolutely no faith in this thing lasting many years whatsoever. Thankfully there is a 100K warranty, but the heater core wouldn't be covered under it. I wonder if these water pumps are failing because of the leftover casting sand that's clogging up the cores?

Lusus_Naturae 01-22-2013 08:31 AM

Possible.. I have a slight whistle I'm trying to figure out myself. It's enough I hear it, sometimes, but not enough to worry me right now.

robskully 01-22-2013 09:27 AM

I had a fuel pump go on my 2013 at 8570 miles.
Replaced under warranty and given a loaner.
My Dealer has been excellent with any issues so far.
I will have to keep an eye on the Water Pump issue.
Glad I got the Lifetime Unlimited Mileage warranty.
Rob .....

safetyharborgator 01-22-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae
Possible.. I have a slight whistle I'm trying to figure out myself. It's enough I hear it, sometimes, but not enough to worry me right now.

Mine started with the slight whistle sound and over a short periodic time developed into the chirping sound.

fljeepleo 01-22-2013 09:34 AM

Just a free oil change, thats the only time mine has been to the dealer. My extended warranty covers loaner vehicles. Call chrysler customer service, im sure they would help you out.

fljeepleo 01-22-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safetyharborgator (Post 3257079)
I have a 2013 JKU Sahara, which from reading on the forums has a bad water pump from the tell tale chirping sound. I took it into my dealer on Friday and they told me it was the alternator and advised they needed to order it.

Well Monday rolls around and they call and advise me that they replaced the alternator and it didn't fix the problem. They now believe it is the water pump, which is what I told them from the beginning.

The bad part is apparently the water pump is on back order and they have no clue when they expect to receive one. To top it off they refuse to provide a loaner car. Just needed to vent.

BTW, you in Safety Harbor Florida?

safetyharborgator 01-22-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljeepleo

BTW, you in Safety Harbor Florida?

Yes.

fljeepleo 01-22-2013 10:28 AM

Fitzgerald used to give loaners….. I don't know if they even still exist but they were awesome with warranty work!

TrueNorth 01-22-2013 11:15 AM

I just bought a new waterpump from Napa for $30 and put it in myself.

Simple job, no need to drain the coolant, just catch whats in it and wipe the sealing surface with a rag before putting the new one on, I used blue RTV to seal it to the block.

Took more time to re-route the damn serpentine belt properly than it did to replace the pump. 1/2 hr job at most.

fljeepleo 01-22-2013 12:18 PM

Agreed its an easy job, we are talking about a brand new vehicle, not an 87 corolla. This should not happen.

EJH2013 01-22-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Time to find a new dealer. You've got a damn near $40,000 vehicle. If they don't want to give you a loaner and fix it without a fuss, never buy a vehicle from them again...

nwbronco 01-22-2013 06:43 PM

I would double check the stuff. My bet is on an idler pulley. The ones on the missus' rig are allergic to water. Whine like nobody business after a month or two of playing in the water.

Bob K.

MattK 02-07-2013 04:20 PM

I had this happen three days off the lot with about 200 miles on the engine. I took it in and they got the diagnoses right the first time and said it was a bad water pump after keeping the Jeep overnight. They did provide me with a rental however. I was then told to take the Jeep back and keep driving it as, "it won't hurt anything".

The part has been on national backorder but when i called yesterday, it's been a month and about 1,000 miles on the odometer, they found one at another dealer and bought it from them and shipped it to my dealer. Taking it in tomorrow to hopefully have this done in ONE day. They said on Fridays they only have half the staff of other days and couldn't guarantee it getting done in a 10 hour work day even though I have an appointment. Wow.

Good luck to you guys and maybe you want to call your service department and push them to find one at another dealership.

MikeK46 02-07-2013 10:04 PM

Can someone please explain to me how these brand new vehicle can already have bad water pumps when they rolls off the assembly line?

n3tfury 02-07-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

2012 here. Had the exact same issue and the exact same "it's on back order, could be a couple weeks". 4 days later they got one in.

MattK 02-07-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK46 (Post 3336662)
Can someone please explain to me how these brand new vehicle can already have bad water pumps when they rolls off the assembly line?

I don't know but I had only two misgivings about buying an American vehicle again. Quality control and service departments. I've had bad experiences with both when it comes to American car companies since I got my first new American car back in 1990. I read about bad heads in the 2012s but decided to go for it anyway on a 2013 because they seemed to have fixed that issue.

Oh well, it's just par for the course I guess at least in my experience. But I'm not giving up because I love the Wrangler however it's not excusable to sell someone a vehicle and have them bring it back three days later. They treated me with not an ounce of shame or regret and just herded me along to get me out of there. I left it running in the service department drive to make sure everyone there heard it :) and one of the service guys said to someone else, "You know what that sounds like, right?" ignoring me like it was an inside thing and they are getting a lot of them back. I said, "No, what does it sound like?" He ignored me at first and I asked again and he finally relented and told me.

A new vehicle owner shouldn't have to put up with this crap and when Jeep sent me the survey for having bought a Wrangler I let them know about it. Probably went straight into the shredder...

But I still love the Wrangler!

I liken it to the industry I work in, video games. Producers just want to ship the title and meet their deadlines. Who cares if there are bugs they'll just issue a day one patch! Unfortunately automobiles don't work this way...but they still have to ship to meet their goals...and will just deal with the customers later.

NMBruce 02-07-2013 10:44 PM

It may not be anything, but reading some other post on JWF or other forums, there are a few guys complaining of heater cores going bad in new Wranglers. A couple have said they are finding "casting sand" in them, from when the engine was build. Could this be causing the water pumps to go bad?
Maybe a radiator flush & clean needs to be done at say 1000k miles to clean out the coolant.