Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Weird sound when turning when engine is cold??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/weird-sound-when-turning-when-engine-is-cold-214021.html)

Dan216 01-22-2013 11:21 AM

Weird sound when turning when engine is cold???
 
Recently bought my first Jeep - a 98' TJ. Converted to it from a Honda Civic (finally) and I'm not all that knowledgable with the Wrangler yet.

When I start the car and the engine is cold and when I turn the wheel, I get a weird humming tone or something. It's kind of a hard sound to explain.

Also, when I accelerate from a stop something rattles just briefly. I'm not sure if it is my tranny or what the heck it could be.

Any insight to these issues would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks.

Dextreme 01-22-2013 11:27 AM

You are probably hearing the power steering.

Regarding rattles....I chased several when I bought my TJ. I would find one, two more would start the next day. This went on for a few weeks until I found them all. Some were under the Jeep (exhaust)...some were internal (hardtop, rollbar, back seat). Fixed them all, so its possible to have a rattle free TJ. :thumb:

BigDeaner 01-22-2013 11:34 AM

I had a very similar issue when turning with my '99 and I was concerned it was the power steering pumping going or something along those lines. Do yourself a favor and check the rubber boot that goes over the steering shaft where it passes through the firewall. Pretty self explanatory, but here's a picture http://www.jerner.no/jeep/firewall4.jpg . Mine just needed a good slathering of white lithium grease and the squeak went away.

Good luck.

Dan216 01-22-2013 11:42 AM

The rattling sound is more of an internal sound/shake. Coming from under my feet somewhere. Is it really possible to have a rattle free TJ? Hehe ;)

Dan216 01-22-2013 11:43 AM

I appreciate that! I'll give it a look here in the next few days, and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeaner (Post 3261256)
I had a very similar issue when turning with my '99 and I was concerned it was the power steering pumping going or something along those lines. Do yourself a favor and check the rubber boot that goes over the steering shaft where it passes through the firewall. Pretty self explanatory, but here's a picture http://www.jerner.no/jeep/firewall4.jpg . Mine just needed a good slathering of white lithium grease and the squeak went away.

Good luck.


Finno 01-22-2013 02:05 PM

Mine was doing the same so I looked and found I was a touch low on power steering fluid. i added a bit and the noise went away immediately. However, two days ago I noticed I have a power steering hose with a slight leak at the crimped on fitting, so now I get to replace that. Good luck!

Dan216 01-22-2013 02:35 PM

Sounds like there's a really good chance it's the power steering. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for helping to clear it up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finno (Post 3261794)
Mine was doing the same so I looked and found I was a touch low on power steering fluid. i added a bit and the noise went away immediately. However, two days ago I noticed I have a power steering hose with a slight leak at the crimped on fitting, so now I get to replace that. Good luck!


Rpkittle 01-22-2013 02:49 PM

when my engine is cold, the steering makes fart noises. You know the long and high pitched ones that make you laugh?

Well I'm gonna have to check into after reading this thread. I sort of thought it might have been the steering stabilizer since I didnt replace after upgrading to 33" tires.

cballou 01-22-2013 03:04 PM

I know in my Jeep, which is a 98 manual, I get a slight rattle from my clutch peddle.

Dan216 01-22-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeaner (Post 3261256)
I had a very similar issue when turning with my '99 and I was concerned it was the power steering pumping going or something along those lines. Do yourself a favor and check the rubber boot that goes over the steering shaft where it passes through the firewall. Pretty self explanatory, but here's a picture http://www.jerner.no/jeep/firewall4.jpg . Mine just needed a good slathering of white lithium grease and the squeak went away.

Good luck.


You nailed it. How did you actually get to the rubber boot. Did you reach in from the hood, under the dash??

BigDeaner 01-22-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan216 (Post 3263290)
You nailed it. How did you actually get to the rubber boot. Did you reach in from the hood, under the dash??

I got to it from under the dash. A real PITA to get to, but once you finagle your way in there, slide the boot up (should pop loose) and slap as much grease in there as you can, then just slide the boot back into place. Took me all of 5 minutes and 4 of them were trying to wiggle my way in there. A light helps.

Good luck!

lane_Morris 01-22-2013 10:32 PM

The rattle could be your transfer case.. You might need to tighten it up a lil bit

Dan216 01-23-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeaner (Post 3264672)
I got to it from under the dash. A real PITA to get to, but once you finagle your way in there, slide the boot up (should pop loose) and slap as much grease in there as you can, then just slide the boot back into place. Took me all of 5 minutes and 4 of them were trying to wiggle my way in there. A light helps.

Good luck!

Nice, fixed it! Just a quick question, do you know of a good owners manual for the TJ? I'd like something to refer to that doesn't require logging on WF :crash2:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.