Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   I can't believe no airbag weight sensor in the 2013 JKU's ... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/i-cant-believe-no-airbag-weight-sensor-in-the-2013-jkus-214098.html)

Scott in Houston 01-22-2013 04:30 PM

I can't believe no airbag weight sensor in the 2013 JKU's ...

For long trips, I'd never have my 10 year old in the passenger seat, but around our neighborhood, I'd like to, but the airbag doesn't shut off. Really? On a 2013? No weight sensor? I know there's a sensor for whether or not there's a passenger because the seatbelt light will come on if the belt isn't latched, but if a light-weight is put in the front seat, there's no airbag light. By all accounts, it appears to be active. Am I reading this right?

Now, as I type this, there's something I haven't tried. If my kid is in the seat, and I unfasten the seatbelt, will the seatbelt light come on? Not sure, but if it doesn't, that means the airbag wouldn't be 'active' because it's not sensing anyone in the seat worth 'dinging' the seatbelt chime for.

On the way to work, I put my backpack in the seat, and it didn't ding at me like other cars do when you put a heavy bag in the seat. Maybe that means there is a weight sensor, but it only trips when there's heavier passengers, so if it's a light passenger, it doesn't activate the bag...

I dunno... anyone else with better information? :banghead:

Con Artist 01-22-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 3262424)
For long trips, I'd never have my 10 year old in the passenger seat, but around our neighborhood, I'd like to, but the airbag doesn't shut off. Really? On a 2013? No weight sensor? I know there's a sensor for whether or not there's a passenger because the seatbelt light will come on if the belt isn't latched, but if a light-weight is put in the front seat, there's no airbag light. By all accounts, it appears to be active. Am I reading this right?

Now, as I type this, there's something I haven't tried. If my kid is in the seat, and I unfasten the seatbelt, will the seatbelt light come on? Not sure, but if it doesn't, that means the airbag wouldn't be 'active' because it's not sensing anyone in the seat worth 'dinging' the seatbelt chime for.

On the way to work, I put my backpack in the seat, and it didn't ding at me like other cars do when you put a heavy bag in the seat. Maybe that means there is a weight sensor, but it only trips when there's heavier passengers, so if it's a light passenger, it doesn't activate the bag...

I dunno... anyone else with better information? :banghead:

I don't think there's a weight sensor. Dunno if things changed for 2013s. Usually by the time we start moving, everyone is buckled in, but there's no light that shows up on the dashboard alerting me whether the airbag is activated or not.

panthermark 01-22-2013 04:40 PM

There is some kind of weight sensor, but I agree, I don't know how it interacts with the airbags. All I know is that my wife's 8.75 pound dog plus her bed is just enough weight to screw up the seatbelt warning chime. Which of course makes the dog start to shake and get scared (loud beeps really scare her). I've starting latching the seatbelt, but I'll check on the airbag light in the future.

Scott in Houston 01-22-2013 04:52 PM

I was able to make it to where mine no longer chimes, but just lights up. I can't remember where I read it on here, but it was some weird combo of turning the Jeep on and off again, latching and unlatching belts, etc. Now, no more chime.

That has no effect on airbag, but thought you'd like to know if it scares the dogs and becomes a hassle.

PS.... I found the link. Here's what I did...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/man...le-155357.html

kik 01-22-2013 05:11 PM

There hasn't been a weight sensor for the air bags since 2007. The driver's and passenger air bags are always on.

panthermark 01-22-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 3262558)
I was able to make it to where mine no longer chimes, but just lights up. I can't remember where I read it on here, but it was some weird combo of turning the Jeep on and off again, latching and unlatching belts, etc. Now, no more chime.

That has no effect on airbag, but thought you'd like to know if it scares the dogs and becomes a hassle.

PS.... I found the link. Here's what I did...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/man...le-155357.html

Thank you kind sir!

She thanks you as well!
http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1358260302

jkjeeper06 01-22-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik
There hasn't been a weight sensor for the air bags since 2007. The driver's and passenger air bags are always on.

This. And at $1,000 a piece in an accident it's a waste if no one is sitting in the seat

ibwile 01-22-2013 08:51 PM

I've been wondering about this as well. In the TJ you could manually disable the passenger airbag for just this reason. Seems strange that it was a safety feature before and now gone- or am I misunderstanding how this is functioning now?

GeckoJK 01-22-2013 09:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibwile (Post 3264082)
I've been wondering about this as well. In the TJ you could manually disable the passenger airbag for just this reason. Seems strange that it was a safety feature before and now gone- or am I misunderstanding how this is functioning now?

Legal liability reasons. Chryco would rather your insurance company have to pay for another airbag then face a multi-million dollar lawsuit if somebody sits in the seat, bag fails to deploy and the person ends up dead.

Scott in Houston 01-22-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeckoJK (Post 3264222)
Legal liability reasons. Chryco would rather your insurance company have to pay for another airbag then face a multi-million dollar lawsuit if somebody sits in the seat, bag fails to deploy and the person ends up dead.

The reverse is true too though. If it deploys and kills a younger passenger (even if they shouldn't have been riding shotgun), they're exposed.

SilverSport 01-22-2013 10:24 PM

The owners manual has some good info. I believe this explains why you can't turn it off:

The Advanced Front Air Bags have a multistage inflator
design. This allows the air bag to have different rates of
inflation that are based on several factors, including the
severity and type of collision.
This vehicle may be equipped with driver and/or front
passenger seat track position sensors that may adjust the
inflation rate of the Advanced Front Air Bags based upon
seat position.
This vehicle may be equipped with a driver and/or front
passenger seat belt buckle switch that detects whether
the driver or front passenger seat belt is fastened. The
seat belt buckle switch may adjust the inflation rate of the
Advanced Front Air Bags.

ibwile 01-22-2013 11:15 PM

Sounds like the lawyers got behind the wheel. Lotsa "MAY's in there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3264660)
The owners manual has some good info. I believe this explains why you can't turn it off:

The Advanced Front Air Bags have a multistage inflator
design. This allows the air bag to have different rates of
inflation that are based on several factors, including the
severity and type of collision.
This vehicle may be equipped with driver and/or front
passenger seat track position sensors that may adjust the
inflation rate of the Advanced Front Air Bags based upon
seat position.
This vehicle may be equipped with a driver and/or front
passenger seat belt buckle switch that detects whether
the driver or front passenger seat belt is fastened. The
seat belt buckle switch may adjust the inflation rate of the
Advanced Front Air Bags.

I wouldn't mind an indicator light. At least in the TJ you knew if it was on or off.

JandS 01-22-2013 11:19 PM

It is always on...unless parameters in the collision determine that it is safer not to blow the bags.

There are too many factors to put into a warning or advisement. All of the vehicle's sensors combine to determine how/when to blow the bags.

In other words, the bags will not blow if there is a toddler up there or someone is leaning forward.

ibwile 01-22-2013 11:40 PM

Thanks for shining a light. I am digesting the manual and stumbling across a few "now where did they move this to?" moments as I am into the first months in a JK. Mostly I try to avoid comparisons to the TJ functions, but this one occurred to me the other day. I was looking in the EVIC to make sure I hadn't inadvertently turned off an alert/light related to the bags.

Scott in Houston 01-23-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JandS (Post 3264873)
It is always on...unless parameters in the collision determine that it is safer not to blow the bags.

There are too many factors to put into a warning or advisement. All of the vehicle's sensors combine to determine how/when to blow the bags.

In other words, the bags will not blow if there is a toddler up there or someone is leaning forward.

How can you know that? What in the Jeep would make it NOT blow the bags with a small child up front? It doesn't have the ability to sense if an adult is leaning forward either.

WXman 01-23-2013 06:40 AM

Kids? What about those women you see sitting in the passenger seat with their feet propped up on the dash? What do you think is going to happen to them if the bags deploy? Their body is going to get folded up like a lawn chair. I don't think any of them think about that.

kik 01-23-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JandS (Post 3264873)

The front air bags will always go off when the sensors are tripped regardless whether or not anyone is sitting in the seats. The degree of deployment is controlled by a variety of factors which are too voluminous to list, that's why the air bags are "staged". And, that's the reason why Chrysler indicates that the seats should be as far back as possible with the occupants belted. If the seats are real close, someone is going to have a bad headache but they won't go through the windshield.

Lusus_Naturae 01-23-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibwile (Post 3264082)

Not all TJ's had that feature. It was the early years that had it available, my 2003 and 2005 did not, they were always on.

Allowing someone to turn them off was a nice idea, but how many people thought about turning them on again if an adult was sitting there? I think the liability was the reason they got rid of them.

That's also the reason all the visors say to put kids under 12 in the backseat. My son weighs about the same as my wife's friend and is within an inch of her in height, he just turned 13 a few months back as well and is bigger than my mom. I would imagine my wife's friend was a lot smaller at 12. My mom was 5'3" and 107 or so. I would want the airbag going off if they were sitting up front. I think there needs to be some common sense taken when thinking about who's sits up there but how many people have that? Keep the little kids in the back, if they are the size and weight of a small adult they should be ok up front.

Lawyers are there to protect the company.

Commodore Perry 01-23-2013 01:11 PM

There are federal regulations that all manufacturers have to follow, I'm pretty sure that includes a weight sensor for passenger front seat.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...tal+Air+Bags#4

kik 01-23-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodore Perry (Post 3266965)
There are federal regulations that all manufacturers have to follow, I'm pretty sure that includes a weight sensor for passenger front seat.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...tal+Air+Bags#4

I guess Chrysler didn't get the memo. If they absolutely had to have it I'm sure they would have complied. They did in 2007. Regs must have changed as a result of staged air bags.