Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   It's good to drive a "real" Jeep again ;) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/its-good-to-drive-a-real-jeep-again-214240.html)

DetroitRodeo 01-23-2013 08:52 AM

It's good to drive a "real" Jeep again ;)

7 Attachment(s)
Hi all, just (this past Thursday) got a TJ/LJ Rubi with 64k miles. I got rid of my 2011 JKU, because I was frankly just unhappy with it...I know some of the JK guys might think I'm crazy but oh well. The LJ, She ain't perfect but my god has it been fun (and painful) working on her. Saturday/Sunday I stripped everything off of her so she's ready for her make over. Took her in on Monday to get Line-Xed inside and out. A bit nervous how this will turn out, but I've seen the work of the shop here and it looked great. I have allot of sanding to do still. Going to bed line (rustoleum) the fenders, mirrors, side steps, bumpers, gas cap, handles before I get her back this week. Then Saturday and Sunday will be spent putting it all back together. After that, I want to paint/bedline my dash and interior of the doors. I'll try to keep pictures up for those that just like to browse like me. Happy Trails!

Hun 01-23-2013 09:02 AM

Great-looking Jeep! Lovely LJ. Deserves the attention it's getting from you.

Go see great places with it!

Patrick H 01-23-2013 09:04 AM

Nice looking LJ!. But, the last "real Jeep was built in 1971 ;)
Just ribbin' ya. :)

JCizzle 01-23-2013 09:05 AM

Great looking TJ. Keep posting pics of the bedlining and painting of the exterior parts, it's giving me ideas. Thanks!

Patrick H 01-23-2013 09:07 AM

Wait- you're going to Line X the outside?

krisbman 01-23-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H
Wait- you're going to Line X the outside?

Thats going to add ALOT of weight!!!

DetroitRodeo 01-23-2013 09:14 AM

Yes sir! I am having the exterior Line-Xed in the same color the jeep is now.

Patrick H 01-23-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo

Think of all the money you'll save on wax..:)

krisbman 01-23-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo

The only issue i see is the color chalking out on the exterior line- ex. Ive seen this happen before many times.

ken78744 01-23-2013 09:34 AM

Nice project I sold my LJ for $12,5k last month w/110k miles because the wife is pregnant and the baby is coming in June... About get Rubi JKU 2012 With dealer installed Tera flex 5.5" lift and 37 bfk km2s for $23,5k w/1,100 miles on it it was a dealer demo they had it sitting on a hill off rocks in front of the dealership so it's not so painful selling the LJ

DetroitRodeo 01-23-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman

The only issue i see is the color chalking out on the exterior line- ex. Ive seen this happen before many times.

Getting the linex extra with clear coat...they guarantee it won't fade...we shall see :) On the weight, linex weighs .7 pounds per square foot at 1/8 inches thick. The exterior will be sprayed at a little less than that. So weight should not be as big of a deal as it sounds. I was trying to find all the measurements to calculate the weight, but I can do that later if someone else doesn't already have that.

Imped 01-23-2013 10:17 AM

So I guess you never plan to add any tub armor?

Linex'ing a tub makes no sense to me. Sure, it's tough and means you don't have to worry about paint but what happens when you rub up against a tree or rock? There goes some Linex and you just dented the tub. Rattle can and armor makes more sense if you're looking to actually improve the durability of the tub.

DetroitRodeo 01-23-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped
So I guess you never plan to add any tub armor?

Linex'ing a tub makes no sense to me. Sure, it's tough and means you don't have to worry about paint but what happens when you rub up against a tree or rock? There goes some Linex and you just dented the tub. Rattle can and armor makes more sense if you're looking to actually improve the durability of the tub.

Nope, not adding any tub armor. I play mainly in mud, sand, water, trails....no big rocks to climb where I'm at. However, linex has a lifetime warranty. If its tears, chips or whatever, they fix it. Aren't hammers what was invented for dents? Kidding. To each his own, that's what makes jeeps so much fun!

TJspeed 01-23-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3266006)

Think of all the money you'll save on wax..:)

I don't know about that.... To get the whole exterior done in matching color will be well over a grand...

TJspeed 01-23-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3265959)
Nice looking LJ!. But, the last "real Jeep was built in 1971 ;)
Just ribbin' ya. :)

Then started again in 97 to 06. ;)

DetroitRodeo 01-23-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed

I can't argue with this! Lol

A1ex 01-23-2013 10:58 AM

in for ideas

DetroitRodeo 01-25-2013 07:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Anyone have any opinions on what top I should get? Looking at hard tops(moving back to MI from FL). The two I like so far are the Gr8top and the wildboar fast back(pics attached)...thoughts/experience?

ken78744 01-25-2013 07:26 PM

I like the slope and the sunroof of the full hard top....

Patrick H 01-25-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed (Post 3266369)

Says the guy who's never owned a real Jeep. Don't get me wrong- I love my TJ.
It's a nice car.

TJspeed 01-25-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3278539)

Says the guy who's never owned a real Jeep. Don't get me wrong- I love my TJ.
It's a nice car.

I grew up in and around your guys CJ's. I actually wanted a CJ before a TJ. But I wanted something newer and was gonna be reliable from the start. I'll have a CJ one day.

Patrick H 01-25-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed (Post 3278570)
I grew up in and around your guys CJ's. I actually wanted a CJ before a TJ. But I wanted something newer and was gonna be reliable from the start. I'll have a CJ one day.

Yeah, an early CJ wouldn't be a good only vehicle. Like I said, I like my TJ, but it's just an entirely different vehicle than an early Jeep. It's like a cross between a Jeep and a car...:thumb:

DetroitRodeo 01-25-2013 08:00 PM

No opinions on the top? :)

Patrick H 01-25-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo (Post 3278657)
No opinions on the top? :)

Actually, I like both of those. The main determining factor (obviously) between those two is which one fits your needs.

jp2611 01-25-2013 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitRodeo (Post 3278500)
Anyone have any opinions on what top I should get? Looking at hard tops(moving back to MI from FL). The two I like so far are the Gr8top and the wildboar fast back(pics attached)...thoughts/experience?

Thoughts only no experience......GR8t top is where I will go eventually but running a halftop right now for winter.....but also plan on redoing rollbar / cage because that HAS to be done for that top...also less weight than full top....I have no back seat in my TJ

griffin84184 01-25-2013 08:15 PM

I'm a fan of the fastback style top

MIZFAN 01-25-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 3278682)
Thoughts only no experience......GR8t top is where I will go eventually but running a halftop right now for winter.....but also plan on redoing rollbar / cage because that HAS to be done for that top...also less weight than full top....I have no back seat in my TJ

I have a top like this that I use in the spring and fall. Really like it except I can't move the seat far enough back.

The hardtop with the sunroof and slope is nice looking.

jp2611 01-25-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIZFAN (Post 3278761)
I have a top like this that I use in the spring and fall. Really like it except I can't move the seat far enough back.

The hardtop with the sunroof and slope is nice looking.

That is the one thing I miss from the OEM Softop...but not enough to go back to it...and in 6 weeks I will go back to my 3 piece...funny my winter top is your spring and fall.....:)

brunkhorse 01-26-2013 01:06 AM

What was it that you were so unhappy with the JKU? I was actually looking at JKU's and ended up with an LJ haha

Offrd 01-26-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H

Yeah, an early CJ wouldn't be a good only vehicle. Like I said, I like my TJ, but it's just an entirely different vehicle than an early Jeep. It's like a cross between a Jeep and a car...:thumb:

I bought a CJ5 new in 1970. Was my only vehicle for 200k miles and I never had a breakdown. Ran to Pismo Beach most weekends, up Goler Wash every November and once over the Rubicon Trail. CJ's rock.