Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   no low end power in 4 high (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/no-low-end-power-in-4-high-214270.html)

colorado-joe 01-23-2013 12:36 PM

no low end power in 4 high
 
I have 2012 jk sport with 3.73.and have no low end power in 4 high. I have put afe cold air intake afe cat back exhaust and unichip did help some now wondering about putting in different gear ratio what would be the best?:facepalm:

colorado-joe 01-23-2013 01:54 PM

driving up my drive way with 6 to 8 in snow I have to put it in 4 low to make it up im thinking when I go 4 wheeling I will have to be in 4 low all the time. only running 265 tires

xcoaste 01-23-2013 02:23 PM

A lot depends on the tires.

frieed 01-23-2013 02:25 PM

Try it with esc off.

fljeepleo 01-23-2013 02:26 PM

Yes, 4-low has A LOT more torque than 4-HI, also make sure your traction control is off if your slipping a lot in the snow or it will seem like you have no torque.

fljeepleo 01-23-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frieed (Post 3267019)
Try is with esc off.

Damn, you beat me!

foo.c 01-23-2013 02:29 PM

I hardly ever use 4hi myself, but you might be fighting the traction control. It will bog down hard when it kicks in. 4low turns it off.

Haha, 3 people beat me to it while typing.

frieed 01-23-2013 02:37 PM

two people, one posted twice :)

Maniacal 02-11-2013 12:49 AM

This is 4hi with esc off and AFE cat back hammering down
http://youtu.be/rjXWcK_ryBc

socal-jk 02-11-2013 01:09 AM

I have a 2012 2dr 6m with 3.73's and mine has always done perfect in 4H. That being said, when wheel slippage is necessary turn ESC off. I almost drown mine in muddy water like that when I forgot to turn it back off after I restarted when stopping. Just like you say, it has no power. I only will use 4L after I have tried something and couldnt do it after a few tries or if loss of momentum will be an issue. These will tackle plenty in 4H without breaking a sweat.

Maniacal 02-11-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal-jk
I have a 2012 2dr 6m with 3.73's and mine has always done perfect in 4H. That being said, when wheel slippage is necessary turn ESC off. I almost drown mine in muddy water like that when I forgot to turn it back off after I restarted when stopping. Just like you say, it has no power. I only will use 4L after I have tried something and couldnt do it after a few tries or if loss of momentum will be an issue. These will tackle plenty in 4H without breaking a sweat.

I agree and I did upgrade to 4.56 gears. Looking to upgrade to 37" or 39" tires next set.

NFRs2000NYC 02-11-2013 01:49 AM

Is your driveway 70 degrees steep or something? I have a 2012 JKU with 3.21s, and while I wish for more low rpm torque for highway passing, in no way did I ever feel the need to have more torque in 4H in this last blizzard.

daggo66 02-11-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorado-joe (Post 3266916)
driving up my drive way with 6 to 8 in snow I have to put it in 4 low to make it up im thinking when I go 4 wheeling I will have to be in 4 low all the time. only running 265 tires

Uh, yeah, you should be in 4L all the time, unless it's just a fire road or something. :whistling:

Joeyfoster8 02-11-2013 08:12 AM

Had the same problems, driving on the "plowed" roads this weekend in 4hi then turned into some neighborhoods that havent been plowed out yet, hit the snowbanks and the first of the street and the truck lost all power and stalled. Used 4LO then and she worked her way all around the neighborhood
2012 jku, 6 speed w/ 3.21's and 33" duratracs.

Duke79 02-11-2013 08:20 AM

4 HI only good for snowy or muddy roads.

colorado-joe 02-12-2013 06:28 AM

altitude
 
I think being at 6800 feet at my has a lot to do with it. I installed unichip along with afe mods and it did wonders for low end power. now I never have to use 4 low at least not on my drive way. I still want to change gears 4 low is still a little high for me 1st won't hold back enough going down steep hills.

khickeyman 02-12-2013 09:33 AM

I'm at 7200 ft and its not altitude its that crappy ESC! I Was having the same problem till I figured out to turn it off! Now no problems.

Nuclear Cowboy 02-12-2013 09:42 AM

OK, on a 2013 Wrangler is it possible to permanently disable the ESC with the steering wheel trick?

I've got one on order and I'm reading conflicting posts about this.

Thanks

Nuclear Cowboy 02-12-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuclear Cowboy (Post 3357203)
OK, on a 2013 Wrangler is it possible to permanently disable the ESC with the steering wheel trick?

I've got one on order and I'm reading conflicting posts about this.

Thanks

Anyone?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.