Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Taking Bets (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/taking-bets-214329.html)

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 04:08 PM

Taking Bets

Who wants to make wagers about how long my Dana 30 front will hold up to the 37's I'm picking up? I will be gusseting and trussing with the artec system so that should help. I'm also leaving it open and sticking with the stock 3.73 gears for a bit. So lets hear it guys, I'm knocking on wood, praying, and being optimistic that I can get approximately 1 year out of it. So I'll put $5 on a year :rofl:

JOCJK 01-23-2013 04:18 PM

What happened with that Rubi 44 on Colorado4x4?

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOCJK (Post 3267695)
What happened with that Rubi 44 on Colorado4x4?

It was off like a prom dress to someone else by the time I got to them. That's ok I'll find one eventually. I'll have the money ready when I need it.

G-Rocc 01-23-2013 05:18 PM

You are going to have a hard time going any where with those gears especially trying to get into the mountains so it might last forever...

This is a good experiment though I'm interested in how it turns out. Keep us all updated.

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rocc (Post 3268028)
You are going to have a hard time going any where with those gears especially trying to get into the mountains so it might last forever...

This is a good experiment though I'm interested in how it turns out. Keep us all updated.

I may regear, but with the 2012 engine it did fine with 35's and 3.73's still had plenty of getup and has even more now that I finally got a procal. We will just see what happens.

xjdreaming 01-23-2013 09:00 PM

What are you doing with the 35's once you get the 37' on?

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjdreaming
What are you doing with the 35's once you get the 37' on?

Have a guy who is supposed to buy them

Oldguy 01-23-2013 09:06 PM

Don't bother, those tires are trashed...

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldguy
Don't bother, those tires are trashed...

Wow. Easy Ed. They aren't trashed. They are within 2/32 tread wear on the damaged ones which means they should wear back to normal in a bit. I was very honest with thw guy buying them and he wasn't concerned.

Oldguy 01-23-2013 09:44 PM

Maybe if he puts them on the back for a while. I just don't get it Chris, you haven't got your front end sorted out, 37's are iffy on a 44 unless you beef it to hell, what do you suppose is going to happen to a D30? Your steering needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, and a lot heavier than stock. You put on 37's and at the very least your steering is going to implode. And in the process you'll mess up another set of tires. Vibration? Wait till those 37's get going. A serious wobble? You'll probably total your jeep. You haven't paid any attention to anything anyone has said in this entire thread, maybe the only thing you will pay attention to is a two by four to the head.

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Maybe if he puts them on the back for a while. I just don't get it Chris, you haven't got your front end sorted out, 37's are iffy on a 44 unless you beef it to hell, what do you suppose is going to happen to a D30? Your steering needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, and a lot heavier than stock. You put on 37's and at the very least your steering is going to implode. And in the process you'll mess up another set of tires. Vibration? Wait till those 37's get going. A serious wobble? You'll probably total your jeep. You haven't paid any attention to anything anyone has said in this entire thread, maybe the only thing you will pay attention to is a two by four to the head.

Ed I have paid attention to people I want to replace the tires to rule them out completely. My steering is built up with a draglink flip kit and frame mounted drop bracket. I put a hd tie rod on it and we retorqued everything the other day. I am doing everything I can. We are builing up the dana 30 with a truss and gussets. I was going to do 35s again but I figured for the money I was shelling out 37s made more sense. I have listened to people in this thread have done research on the pluses and minuses of what I am doing. I know I will need a new front axle eventually. I understand your position but rwally don't appreciate the hostile tone. I'm making progress on my wobble and I don't wheel my jeep like most people on this site. I wheel carefully and don't do anything that I don't feel comfortable with. Seriously I get it. People don't wanna hear about this topic so lets just forget it. My mechanic won't fix the problem even though he installed all the components so its just me and one friend who is willing to help me trying to figure this out. I'm sorry not everyone agrees with my choices but that's just it they are mine. My dana 30 is largely the same dimensions as my 44 minus the pumpkin. The gears are fine they are open diffs it just needs reinforcement. I have tried to find people who could help more and the few that have offered either couldn't find the problem for sure or I couldn't get my schedules synced with. Short of tearing apart the front end which is the next step if the tires don't fix the problem there is nothing else I can do at the moment.

Rubiconpoor 01-23-2013 10:09 PM

^^^ I had a serious shimmy in the front and it turned out to be a cracked track bar bracket.(on my 2011)

Just another thought.
Good luck

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubiconpoor
^^^ I had a serious shimmy in the front and it turned out to be a cracked track bar bracket.(on my 2011)

Just another thought.
Good luck

Thanks man. We will take a look. We retorqued everything but until the tires are replaced we won't know for sure. I'm also running without a steering stabilizer for now but that shouldnt matter I wanna leave it off until I find this thing.

Rubiconpoor 01-23-2013 10:16 PM

Who are you having look at it, have you tried any of the local shops?

High country
Nemesis
Trail jeep in boulder
Between some of them they should be able to help.
I just went to 37s yesterday and I'm am very happy so far, I will regear next week.

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Who are you having look at it, have you tried any of the local shops?

High country
Nemesis
Trail jeep in boulder
Between some of them they should be able to help.
I just went to 37s yesterday and I'm am very happy so far, I will regear next week.

Nice. I'm down in the springs. So if my friend and I can't solve it this week after dropping the whole front end, should that be necessary, then I will probably go to 4wheel parts down here unless someone has really bad feedback on them. I'd prefer not to have to go too far but I guess at this point its about time to go whereever is necessary.

Rubiconpoor 01-23-2013 10:27 PM

Isn't there a 4x4 shop on north Nevada and garden of the gods rd? Don't know anything about them.

jasongind 01-23-2013 10:35 PM

Chris, have you looked into the Dynatrac Prorock 44? They are stronger than built 44's so you won't have to worry about breaking anything (axle related) running 37's.

JoabsJks 01-23-2013 10:41 PM

It is hard to tell, i had the death wouble on my 2011 JKS, i had a D30, 3.21 gears, 35in KM2s, my drag link was abit loose on the pitman arm, my tierod ends are still abit loose and my ball joints were loose too. I noticed that when i lifted my tires off the ground my knuckles would drop about an 1/8" in the ball joint area, anyways i found on craigslist a D30 from a 2010, that had a truetrack locker and 5.13 for $180 i bought it. installed it, regeared my rear end to 5.13s and my death wouble is gone, i still have my loose drag link, and loose tierod ends that im planning to replace soon. im still running my stock track bar, my km2s are a year old with all kinds of rock rash. So, leads me to believe that maybe my 2011 d30 was bent. I wheel mine pretty hard with eagle rock trips at least 3 times out of the month. So it is really hard to tell what it is. my 2 cents, every case is different. oh, and im on the springs too, if you need help installing anything let me know, send a PM, i have the minimum tools needed to work just about on anything on the jeep.
Joab.

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoabsJks
It is hard to tell, i had the death wouble on my 2011 JKS, i had a D30, 3.21 gears, 35in KM2s, my drag link was abit loose on the pitman arm, my tierod ends are still abit loose and my ball joints were loose too. I noticed that when i lifted my tires off the ground my knuckles would drop about an 1/8" in the ball joint area, anyways i found on craigslist a D30 from a 2010, that had a truetrack locker and 5.13 for $180 i bought it. installed it, regeared my rear end to 5.13s and my death wouble is gone, i still have my loose drag link, and loose tierod ends that im planning to replace soon. im still running my stock track bar, my km2s are a year old with all kinds of rock rash. So, leads me to believe that maybe my 2011 d30 was bent. I wheel mine pretty hard with eagle rock trips at least 3 times out of the month. So it is really hard to tell what it is. my 2 cents, every case is different. oh, and im on the springs too, if you need help installing anything let me know, send a PM, i have the minimum tools needed to work just about on anything on the jeep.
Joab.

Is there a good way to take mesure of the Dana 30 to see if it is bent or do you really have to drop the whole thing?

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Isn't there a 4x4 shop on north Nevada and garden of the gods rd? Don't know anything about them.

There's is but they charge a LOT so I'm trying to avoid that for the moment.

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasongind
Chris, have you looked into the Dynatrac Prorock 44? They are stronger than built 44's so you won't have to worry about breaking anything (axle related) running 37's.

Jason I have and want one but they are pricey. I think I can afford to invest in one in the next 6months or so but I'm trying to find the best deal on one minus lockers and stuff I figure if I get it the least built I can do it cheaper myself. Also I saw one on teraflexs site today called the hd 30 I think. Looks to be a great price and 2x as beefy as the stock 30.

JoabsJks 01-23-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfp88 (Post 3269882)
Is there a good way to take mesure of the Dana 30 to see if it is bent or do you really have to drop the whole thing?

honestly, i don't know how they get checked, The only reason i bought the other d30 was because of the 5.13 gears and true trac locker and the price, and after the swap, the wouble disappeared.

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoabsJks

honestly, i don't know how they get checked, The only reason i bought the other d30 was because of the 5.13 gears and true trac locker and the price, and after the swap, the wouble disappeared.

Hmm. That would be some crap if that is the problem.

Oldguy 01-23-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfp88 (Post 3269653)
Ed I have paid attention to people I want to replace the tires to rule them out completely. My steering is built up with a draglink flip kit and frame mounted drop bracket. I put a hd tie rod on it and we retorqued everything the other day. I am doing everything I can. We are builing up the dana 30 with a truss and gussets. I was going to do 35s again but I figured for the money I was shelling out 37s made more sense. I have listened to people in this thread have done research on the pluses and minuses of what I am doing. I know I will need a new front axle eventually. I understand your position but rwally don't appreciate the hostile tone. I'm making progress on my wobble and I don't wheel my jeep like most people on this site. I wheel carefully and don't do anything that I don't feel comfortable with. Seriously I get it. People don't wanna hear about this topic so lets just forget it. My mechanic won't fix the problem even though he installed all the components so its just me and one friend who is willing to help me trying to figure this out. I'm sorry not everyone agrees with my choices but that's just it they are mine. My dana 30 is largely the same dimensions as my 44 minus the pumpkin. The gears are fine they are open diffs it just needs reinforcement. I have tried to find people who could help more and the few that have offered either couldn't find the problem for sure or I couldn't get my schedules synced with. Short of tearing apart the front end which is the next step if the tires don't fix the problem there is nothing else I can do at the moment.

I am not being hostile, I am being frustrated. You have supposedly found things in the last couple of days that should have been the first you should have checked and they had been brought up at the time. Tightening loose rod ends at this point is like closing the barn door after the horse is out. The sockets are probably out of round and nothing will get them back. 37's are just going to make things worse. You are right, these threads are getting tiresome, but it is because you ignore stuff until it's a major problem and then wonder why you have a problem. I wheel hard. I also tear down my suspension to components at least twice a year looking for problems. When it is bad enough to be noticeable you are already screwed. Now you can go on the way you are going and things are going to get worse and worse until you have a jeep that's undriveable. Or you can rebuild from the ground up, start doing PM, and correcting things before they do serious damage. Up to you, but I have no more to say in this matter. If I have offended you I'm sorry. But if I have offended you maybe you should look at why you are offended.

chrisfp88 01-23-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

I am not being hostile, I am being frustrated. You have supposedly found things in the last couple of days that should have been the first you should have checked and they had been brought up at the time. Tightening loose rod ends at this point is like closing the barn door after the horse is out. The sockets are probably out of round and nothing will get them back. 37's are just going to make things worse. You are right, these threads are getting tiresome, but it is because you ignore stuff until it's a major problem and then wonder why you have a problem. I wheel hard. I also tear down my suspension to components at least twice a year looking for problems. When it is bad enough to be noticeable you are already screwed. Now you can go on the way you are going and things are going to get worse and worse until you have a jeep that's undriveable. Or you can rebuild from the ground up, start doing PM, and correcting things before they do serious damage. Up to you, but I have no more to say in this matter. If I have offended you I'm sorry. But if I have offended you maybe you should look at why you are offended.

Ed things have been retightened consistently. There is an underlying issue that we are working to find tie rod ends aren't loose jam nuts on the tie rod were slightly. And they had been tightened recently. I have not posted every single check and retorque on here because people got annoyed. We have been keeping an eye on it. The real problem bud is trying to isolate what is causing it. Based upon the fact that things seem to be loosening at a consistent rate I'm kind of hoping it's tires. We will drop the whole front end tuesday after new tires regardless. The tie rod is after market so it still shouldn't be bolts but we will check all plates to look for wallowing. I do need to find a grease cert in 7mm for the tie rod end. That disappeared within the last week. Any idea where I could look? The last auto store only had 7 and 6. I have been under the Jeep once a week for the lastonth. I have been keeping an eye on it and trying to isolate it. I will find the cause and fix this. I promise I am not ignoring people and especially not you. I appreciate the kmowledge and insight but I am working to resolve my issues. I understand people don't like hearing about death wobble its not a fun topic but I am following advice and I resent when people say I'm not. But one guy with limited mechanical understanding working with one knowledgeable guy in a driveway can only do so much so quick. We have an order we are doing things in and reasoning behind not droping the whole front end right away.

Oldguy 01-23-2013 11:58 PM

Well, I understand doing things when you have only yourself. I do it all the time. But I also know that when you go through the obvious you tear it down to the components. you simply cannot assume anything. I have chased wobbles many times, sometimes I've found a problem that fixed it sometimes not. One time the only thing that worked was to back out a lift to a lower one. Bang, wobble gone. Why? I have no bloody clue, but I had exhausted everything else so I tried it and it worked. In that case the steering geometry must have hit a flukey resonance and got things going. I assume that you have at least a couple inches of lift, try a dropped pitman arm. If you have a dropped arm put it back to stock. See what happens. The engineers in Detroit can't even find a model to predict wobble in a stock jeep much less one with a lift. But if you swapped tires back to front and there was no difference then it is not tires. But if you throw 37's on there at this point it just going to get worse, much worse. I don't know what else to suggest. I don't know everything you've done, in what order, in what combination. That all makes a difference. You could strap a one pound weight on the drag link. If it is resonance that will change it. Somehow you need to change the steering geometry or the resonance of the geometry and see what happens. I don't know what else to suggest at this point.

chrisfp88 01-24-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Well, I understand doing things when you have only yourself. I do it all the time. But I also know that when you go through the obvious you tear it down to the components. you simply cannot assume anything. I have chased wobbles many times, sometimes I've found a problem that fixed it sometimes not. One time the only thing that worked was to back out a lift to a lower one. Bang, wobble gone. Why? I have no bloody clue, but I had exhausted everything else so I tried it and it worked. In that case the steering geometry must have hit a flukey resonance and got things going. I assume that you have at least a couple inches of lift, try a dropped pitman arm. If you have a dropped arm put it back to stock. See what happens. The engineers in Detroit can't even find a model to predict wobble in a stock jeep much less one with a lift. But if you swapped tires back to front and there was no difference then it is not tires. But if you throw 37's on there at this point it just going to get worse, much worse. I don't know what else to suggest. I don't know everything you've done, in what order, in what combination. That all makes a difference. You could strap a one pound weight on the drag link. If it is resonance that will change it. Somehow you need to change the steering geometry or the resonance of the geometry and see what happens. I don't know what else to suggest at this point.

That's fair Ed. I did swap back to front a little change but not much. But I did find out my tires were never balanced at the shop like I was originally told. No drop pitman arm at the moment. We are looking at getting at currie one. But I'm also looking at going to a teraflex flexarm kit which will be much better I think. Also I found one jk prorock 44 front in denver area. If I can swoop it up I will for sure.

Oldguy 01-24-2013 12:28 AM

Tire balance is a big factor, also how weights are positioned on the tire. On a large tire the weights need to be split on both sides of the rim. Otherwise they need to be placed at the center of the rim. A heavy weight on one side of a rim can trigger a wobble because while the wheel/rim may be centrifugally balanced it is not balanced from side to side and that weight is going to pull the tire from side to side and that can precipitate a wobble. Even rotating a tire by one or two lugs can change the effect because it changes the oscillation relationship to the opposing tire. At this point it isn't science, it's freakin' voodo.

chrisfp88 01-24-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Tire balance is a big factor, also how weights are positioned on the tire. On a large tire the weights need to be split on both sides of the rim. Otherwise they need to be placed at the center of the rim. A heavy weight on one side of a rim can trigger a wobble because while the wheel/rim may be centrifugally balanced it is not balanced from side to side and that weight is going to pull the tire from side to side and that can precipitate a wobble. Even rotating a tire by one or two lugs can change the effect because it changes the oscillation relationship to the opposing tire. At this point it isn't science, it's freakin' voodo.

Bahaha. There we can agree. I'm thinkkng of calling the pope to bless it.

Oldguy 01-24-2013 12:43 AM

Well I have been known to smudge a vehicle with sage just to be on the safe side. Vehicles can carry some very freaky karma and God only knows what else...