Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Homebrew (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/homebrew-214642.html)

moscoeb 01-24-2013 11:48 PM

Any Homebrewers out there?
Anyone wanna trade recipes and advise?

I have a couple decent extract recipes if anyone wants them.

mrpotatohead 01-25-2013 01:06 AM

I've been interested in this for a while, i used to go to a restaurant that brewed 4 beers in house and it was DELICIOUS. What all is needed for start up?

moscoeb 01-25-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpotatohead
I've been interested in this for a while, i used to go to a restaurant that brewed 4 beers in house and it was DELICIOUS. What all is needed for start up?

If you want to start all grain, I don't know all the stuff needed.
If you want to do extract, then just get a brewers best kit for about 100$, get a nice 20-22qt pot, a ladle that will reach the bottom of said pot, some type of thermometer (don't get the wireless remote ones, I've already broken 3), some star san to sanitize, and I recommend an auto siphon. But that is not needed, but makes life much easier and it's only 10$.
Then get whatever kit you want to make, and go to town!
Should take you right around 200$ for initial investment for all that. Then kits/ingredients cost 30-50$ typically depending on what you get.

panthermark 01-25-2013 07:35 AM

If I had more room, I would be all over this thread....

kisportolt 01-25-2013 07:54 AM

my girlfriend bought us a homebrewing kit and it's one of my favorite hobbies now. nothing like making your own beer, the process is fun and really not that difficult, and the outcome is delicious!

some advice i have for people interested in getting into it. a great site for equiptment and supplies (not affiliated, just purchase from them and have been really happy with everything) is midwestsupplies.com . they have kits to get you started with and pretty much everything you need. we got the "starter plus" kit which comes with almost everything you'll need including your first extract kit. another thing to buy if you want to make it process much more enjoyable is a good propane burner (like a turkey fryer). camp stoves don't work...you have to make a few gallons of wort boil for an hour.

as with anything, there are some great books for information on homebrewing. i've got "the complete joy of homebrewing" and it's been really helpful. just a thought.

moscoeb, how long have you been brewing? and what kind of recipies do you have? i'm working on a java cream stout right now that has a week left in the secondary and then bottling, hoping it turns out alright. we've stuck to the kits for the most part so far, but it's been awesome.

relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

moscoeb 01-25-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark
If I had more room, I would be all over this thread....

It really doesn't take much room. A stove, and a closet or out of way place to store a five gal bucket, and later 50 bottles of beer or so. Easy to do!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisportolt

moscoeb, how long have you been brewing? and what kind of recipies do you have? i'm working on a java cream stout right now that has a week left in the secondary and then bottling, hoping it turns out alright. we've stuck to the kits for the most part so far, but it's been awesome.

relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

I started brewing last April, I have done 10 batches or so. I do extract with steeping grains. When kids get older I'd like to try all grain. Hoping to start kegging next year too!

I have:
Noble Pils Clone
Pumpkin Ale
Orange Honey wheat
A Stone Ruination clone I am aging right now.

Those already all recipes, and I have done a handful of kits too.

kisportolt 01-25-2013 05:17 PM

yeah our brewing so far has been steeping grains followed by extract and pellet hops. How'd the Orange Honey Wheat turn out? that would be something i'd be interested in for sure, especially to have it ready for when summer comes. where do you get most of your supplies/kits from?

GCDMD 01-25-2013 06:03 PM

I've been waiting for one of these threads! :dance:
I brew using the all grain technique and have a recipe that closely resemble Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with maybe just a touch more malt note. I'll take a look to see if I can find that recipe, it's been over 2 years since I've brewed after the birth of my son. One thing I do know, my wife has been pestering me about, "use it or lose it!!!!" with all of my brewing equipment!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

kisportolt 01-25-2013 06:47 PM

if you lose it, pm me first! I may be interested in some of it.

anyone planning to brew this weekend? I'm hoping to get a batch brewed, have a HopNog2012 kit that I got for Christmas.

moscoeb 01-25-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisportolt
yeah our brewing so far has been steeping grains followed by extract and pellet hops. How'd the Orange Honey Wheat turn out? that would be something i'd be interested in for sure, especially to have it ready for when summer comes. where do you get most of your supplies/kits from?

It wasn't bad. I think I will scale back the orange peel next batch. It was slightly overpowering.
I have a few homebrew stores, so I try to get local before I order offline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCDMD
I've been waiting for one of these threads! :dance:
I brew using the all grain technique and have a recipe that closely resemble Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with maybe just a touch more malt note. I'll take a look to see if I can find that recipe, it's been over 2 years since I've brewed after the birth of my son. One thing I do know, my wife has been pestering me about, "use it or lose it!!!!" with all of my brewing equipment!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Can't let that happen!! Get to brewing!! :)

kisportolt 01-27-2013 08:08 PM

little bummed that we didn't get to brewing this weekend..decided to take the yj out with my girlfriend instead. but I did add the coffee to my java cream stout, hopefully that'll be ready to bottle when we get back from Las Vegas on Friday. hopefully brew the hopnog next weekend

panthermark 01-27-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb (Post 3277342)
It really doesn't take much room. A stove, and a closet or out of way place to store a five gal bucket, and later 50 bottles of beer or so. Easy to do!!


We are literally out of room (new kid on the way.....townhome, no basement). Funny thing is....I don't even need the bottles. Sitting in a fridge in my garage are three 5 gallon cornys, a three gallon corny, a 15lb CO2 tank, a 10lb tank filled with nitro beer/gas, along with two stout faucets and two Perlick 525ss's. Adding even more "beer" stuff is a good way to get me killed. (I also have a picnic tap and a CO2 shooter that fits inside a max cool cooler on wheels...to take beer on the go).

Once we move (hopefully in the next year or two), and get a basement....I'll be all over homebrewing.

moscoeb 01-27-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark

We are literally out of room (new kid on the way.....townhome, no basement). Funny thing is....I don't even need the bottles. Sitting in a fridge in my garage are three 5 gallon cornys, a three gallon corny, a 15lb CO2 tank, a 10lb tank filled with nitro beer/gas, along with two stout faucets and two Perlick 525ss's. Adding even more "beer" stuff is a good way to get me killed. (I also have a picnic tap and a CO2 shooter that fits inside a max cool cooler on wheels...to take beer on the go).

Once we move (hopefully in the next year or two), and get a basement....I'll be all over homebrewing.

The kids do affect things, but in a few years the little one will be helping you turn wrenches and pitch yeast!

My two year old already loves the smell of hops and grains. She says she can't wait to help me brew, hopefully next year I'll let her. I'm thinking of doing a root beer, let her try her hand at that.

moscoeb 01-30-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisportolt
yeah our brewing so far has been steeping grains followed by extract and pellet hops. How'd the Orange Honey Wheat turn out? that would be something i'd be interested in for sure, especially to have it ready for when summer comes. where do you get most of your supplies/kits from?

In going to try that orange honey wheat again this weekend with the Super Bowl, I'll let ya know how it is and post the recipe. Along with any suggested changes from the masses.

Banditt135 02-01-2013 02:22 PM

I have been brewing for about 3 years. I am still doing extract, but i am buying the equipment to start allgrain brewing. The only thing left i need for allgrain is to build my wort chiller and im ready. Might do that this weekend. Its a great and fun hobby.

moscoeb 02-01-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banditt135
I have been brewing for about 3 years. I am still doing extract, but i am buying the equipment to start allgrain brewing. The only thing left i need for allgrain is to build my wort chiller and im ready. Might do that this weekend. Its a great and fun hobby.

I need to visit a friend that does all grain and help him. I am not sure if I really want to step up. I know control is better ad cheaper too, however it seems a lot more work!
Definitely not an option now with the two little ones, maybe when they go to school.

moscoeb 02-04-2013 10:39 AM

Tried that honey wheat again, the orange peel bitterness has toned down quite a bit and is pretty good. Here is the recipe if anyone wants it.

Partial boil, 5gal batch

Steeping grains 155 for 20min

1lb flaked oats
.8oz flaked wheat

Extract/fermentables

3.3 lbs wheat LME
3lbs extra light DME

3lb orange blossom honey at 5min

Hops

Bittering 60 min boil
.5oz cascade
.5oz hallertau

Flameout
.5oz cascade
.5oz hallertau

Miscellaneous

.5 oz cracked coriander 10 min
1.5 oz sweet orange peel 5min
1tsp Irish moss 15min

Yeast
Belgian witbier wyeast 3944

Ferment for 7-14 days

Next time I would try to cold crash to allow trub to compact down better. Or maybe give some more time in fermenter to allow everything to settle out.

Good summer beer or for someone who doesn't like a lot of hops.

kisportolt 02-04-2013 11:09 AM

sounds like a good beer! i'll have to put that recipe together and try brewing it soon. thanks for posting it.

moscoeb 02-04-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisportolt
sounds like a good beer! i'll have to put that recipe together and try brewing it soon. thanks for posting it.

Let me know how it come out and what you think, and any suggested changes. I am always looking for suggestions to get better and make better beer.

After 4 weeks in bottle the orange peel was overpowering to me, but a few weeks later and it is just about perfect.

kisportolt 02-23-2013 01:40 PM

haven't had a chance to brew a new batch in a few weeks, but our java cream stout is finally ready to drink! pretty strong coffee taste, but still pretty good. 5oz of coffee in a 5 gallon batch for 10 days may have been too much, but hoping it mellows out over time

moscoeb 02-23-2013 04:06 PM

Sounds interesting. I'm not a coffee guy, so not for me, I'm sure it will even out with age. I have gotten to the point of letting all my beers age 6-8 weeks before drinking them. Seems to lend to a more blended smoother beer. Just have to be diligent about keeping pipeline full!

kisportolt 02-23-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb
Sounds interesting. I'm not a coffee guy, so not for me, I'm sure it will even out with age. I have gotten to the point of letting all my beers age 6-8 weeks before drinking them. Seems to lend to a more blended smoother beer. Just have to be diligent about keeping pipeline full!

I don't have the restraint to let them sit that long..I make it about two weeks after bottling and have to crack one open and try it. though the hefeweizen we brewed has been bottled for about that long and were still drinking it, and it's definitely smoothed out.

you have any new ones going?

moscoeb 02-23-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisportolt

I don't have the restraint to let them sit that long..I make it about two weeks after bottling and have to crack one open and try it. though the hefeweizen we brewed has been bottled for about that long and were still drinking it, and it's definitely smoothed out.

you have any new ones going?

Oh I usually start trying them around 3 weeks, but don't stock them heavily in fridge until it tastes good.

I have a bottled and ready:
Noble pils 4 left
Ruination 35 left
Orange honey wheat 25 left
Yuri's pumpkin 25 left

I have fermenting:
Scottish ale
German altbier

Waiting for fermenter:
Weizenbier


I try to keep my pipeline full. If I have an open fermenter and extra money, I get ingredients or a kit.

kisportolt 03-05-2013 10:09 PM

anyone done any brewing lately? I'm debating what kit I want to buy next..definitely something that will be a nice summer kickoff beer

moscoeb 03-06-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisportolt (Post 3463193)
anyone done any brewing lately? I'm debating what kit I want to buy next..definitely something that will be a nice summer kickoff beer

Transferred those two to secondary, thinking about brewing the wezenbier today. Need to go get ingredients for my noble pils as I only have 4 left and that is usually a crowd favorite.

Try googling extract recipes and go away from the kits. A ton more choices! Think of a beer you like and just look for the recipe. Just take notes so you can adjust if it isn't exactly like you want.

kisportolt 03-16-2013 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
it's brew day! finally brewing our hopnog kit. shoul have done this months ago..

moscoeb 03-16-2013 07:52 PM

Sweet, I did my wezenbier the other day, and got ingredients for a noble pils and a Boston lager clone.

Do you all grain?

kisportolt 03-16-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moscoeb (Post 3512135)
Sweet, I did my wezenbier the other day, and got ingredients for a noble pils and a Boston lager clone.

Do you all grain?

sounds like your pipelines gonna have some good brews. nope not yet, still extract brewing but I can see us going to all grain in the future. do you all grain?

moscoeb 03-16-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisportolt (Post 3512262)

sounds like your pipelines gonna have some good brews. nope not yet, still extract brewing but I can see us going to all grain in the future. do you all grain?

Ya, I thought I was stocked up, but a few friends and some gifted sixers can put a HUGE dent in it!!
I can't keep my noble pils clone stocked. This is the 3rd or 4th time making it and it always goes pretty quick.

I do extract with steeping grains too. I'm debating trying BIAB or all grain in a few years when the kids get older. Just don't have the time or money for equipment right now.
I have been very happy with my brews, even the ones I don't like have been because I didn't like the beer, not an off flavor. Info however let mine age 6-8 weeks before drinking because I have found there is a bitterness till around then. I assume it is a greenness or the extract twang everyone talks about.

kisportolt 03-16-2013 09:53 PM

yeah we took a break from brewing and our stock is getting low! our java cream stout is smoothing out and tastes great, but were running out of hefeweizen which was our best brew so far.

yeah we might all grain in the future, but I'd rather spend the money on jeep stuff haha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.