Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Battery?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/battery-214781.html)

Big Sarge 01-25-2013 07:01 PM

Battery??

Stopped to get gas after a few hours of straight driving. Went to start my 98 TJ 4cyl up and it turned over a few times and stopped. No more power. Jumped it and had power everywhere but still wouldn't start. I'm thinking battery totally shot. Any different opinions?

99tj707 01-25-2013 07:13 PM

Sounds like the battery is completely dead.

neverfastenough1 01-25-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3278414)
Stopped to get gas after a few hours of straight driving. Went to start my 98 TJ 4cyl up and it turned over a few times and stopped. No more power. Jumped it and had power everywhere but still wouldn't start. I'm thinking battery totally shot. Any different opinions?

Still wouldn't start or wouldn't crank? Did you hook the negative jumper to the battery or to the frame/block?

Radioman 01-25-2013 07:43 PM

Before buying a new battery, check BOTH ends of your positive and negative battery cables. Make sure they are clean and tight.

Big Sarge 01-25-2013 07:56 PM

I hooked to both the battery and block with the negative. Terminals are like new and tight. Absolutely no corrosion. Like I said all accessories power up. Try to start and voltage just drops out and won't crank.

neverfastenough1 01-25-2013 08:23 PM

If you hooked the negative to the block, then the battery was eliminated from the equation because the power would have traveled back up the negative jumper cable to the good battery instead of to the bad battery. Sounds like a bad cable or starter. I would have the battery tested though because it is free. Even if your battery has 12 volts to power everything else, it doesn't mean it has enough cranking amps if it is bad.

Hickam 01-26-2013 12:11 AM

Sounds like the starter mine did that a while back. If you have a wrench or something to tap on it with tap on the starter and it should turn over. Replace the starter ASAP.

Steve305 01-26-2013 06:59 AM

Replace this ... replace that. And nobody knows for SURE what the problem is. Save some cash by having stuff tested before you start replacing things. Any parts store will do a load test on your battery at no cost to you. Do that before you spring for things that you might not need.

bostiguy 01-26-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve305 (Post 3280116)
Replace this ... replace that. And nobody knows for SURE what the problem is. Save some cash by having stuff tested before you start replacing things. Any parts store will do a load test on your battery at no cost to you. Do that before you spring for things that you might not need.

While you're right, he may have a difficult time getting it somewhere to have it tested.

WeekenderATX 01-26-2013 08:23 AM

Had similar experience. Mine was bad fuel pump.

Steve305 01-26-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostiguy (Post 3280272)
While you're right, he may have a difficult time getting it somewhere to have it tested.

He didn't have any problem jumping it the first time. :confused:

Jerry Bransford 01-26-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3278645)
I hooked to both the battery and block with the negative. Terminals are like new and tight. Absolutely no corrosion. Like I said all accessories power up. Try to start and voltage just drops out and won't crank.

That the voltage drops to nothing when you turn the ignition switch to Start indicates either a bad battery or loose/corroded/dirty battery connectors. Since yours are bright & clean, it just sounds like a bad battery. A bad starter motor won't cause the battery voltage to drop down to nothing so I doubt that is the problem.

A load test properly performed by a battery tech who knows what he is doing will confirm the battery's true health.

Big Sarge 01-26-2013 02:26 PM

So it was the battery after all. Thanks for all of the opinions.

bostiguy 01-26-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve305 (Post 3280334)
He didn't have any problem jumping it the first time. :confused:

I guess I'm reading a different post from the OP then. In his first post he said he jumped it but it didn't start.:confused::rolleyes:

Hickam 01-26-2013 08:41 PM

If all accessories worked but it wouldn't start I don't understand how it was the battery?

teknoid 01-26-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickam (Post 3282855)
If all accessories worked but it wouldn't start I don't understand how it was the battery?

I've had it happen. Had the battery load tested, and while the voltage was good, it was putting out about 3 amps. Radio, lights, and gauges worked- until I turned the key. New battery=problem solved. I got lucky. The warranty was still good (by a whole week).

Yakjeep 01-26-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickam (Post 3282855)

Sometimes the post can crack inside of the battery, a broken weld between cells or a cracked strap. All of these are internal issues that will still give 12 volts but not provide cranking amps to start your engine. A minimal amount of contact will provide enough voltage to run your accessories.

Hickam 01-26-2013 11:31 PM

My luck is usually the warranty is out by a week. Thanks for the answers.

Big Sarge 01-28-2013 08:10 AM

I guess I should have said "tried to jump it". What I meant by jumped it was that I hooked up the cables but nothing happened othert than the accesories came on. The power from the other vehicle was enough to power all accesories but not enough to start the vehicle. Changed the battery and had no problems since then. Sorry for the confusion.