Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Electrical Issue-Not Starting-Battery Good (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/electrical-issue-not-starting-battery-good-214829.html)

explorerlyon 01-25-2013 10:37 PM

Electrical Issue-Not Starting-Battery Good

05 Wrangler

The vehicle won't start, dead as can be. Acts like a dead battery but.....jump starting does nothing. Here are the symptoms:

No Power:
Starter
Headlights (but tail lights do work)
Fog lights
Blinkers
Radio
Guages & warning indicators

Has Power:
Heat/AC Fan
Horn
Interior dome
Dash display lights
Tail lights
Door chime
KC lights (wired through a relay to the battery). I left these on for a few minutes and they burn bright, no dimming.

Batery is a 6-month old DieHard Platinum. Checked cable connections, corrosion, etc. All is clean and tight.

Vehicle has a viper alarm with remote start. Never use it. I talked to two viper installers. Both said if the alarm was causing the issue, I would still have headlights.

hookuspookus 01-26-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explorerlyon (Post 3279446)
05 Wrangler

The vehicle won't start, dead as can be. Acts like a dead battery but.....jump starting does nothing. Here are the symptoms:

No Power:
Starter
Headlights (but tail lights do work)
Fog lights
Blinkers
Radio
Guages & warning indicators

Has Power:
Heat/AC Fan
Horn
Interior dome
Dash display lights
Tail lights
Door chime
KC lights (wired through a relay to the battery). I left these on for a few minutes and they burn bright, no dimming.

Batery is a 6-month old DieHard Platinum. Checked cable connections, corrosion, etc. All is clean and tight.

Vehicle has a viper alarm with remote start. Never use it. I talked to two viper installers. Both said if the alarm was causing the issue, I would still have headlights.

stick or automatic ?

explorerlyon 01-26-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookuspookus (Post 3280040)
stick or automatic ?

Automatic. 05 LJ Rubicon.

Jerry Bransford 01-26-2013 11:18 AM

Do this & let us know what happens. Turn the headlights on and watch them while a helper turns the ignition switch to the Start position & observe what the headlights do. Did they stay on at full brightness or did they dim & go out while the key was in the Start position?

explorerlyon 01-26-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3280825)
Do this & let us know what happens. Turn the headlights on and watch them while a helper turns the ignition switch to the Start position & observe what the headlights do. Did they stay on at full brightness or did they dim & go out while the key was in the Start position?

The headlights do not come on at all. However, the tail lights do and they do not dim. I can also turn on my KC Highlights and they burn bright with no dimming.

049 ddy 01-26-2013 08:33 PM

check around fuse panel sounds like a loose plug . trace your wires

explorerlyon 01-26-2013 09:33 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED: The issue was with the Viper alarm system. Under the dash a wiring harness for the alarm system had a loose connection. Tightened the connectors and problem solved.