Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Where to go through firewall (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/where-to-go-through-firewall-214946.html)

klessa 01-26-2013 01:41 PM

Where to go through firewall
 
I asked this in the middle of a thread concerning wiring some lights... but thought I'd post here as well. On a TJ, where do you recommend going through the firewall with wiring? I assume there's a place already used for some passthrough which would be good to re-use for this purpose but I can't find it.

I don't have the ability to put my jeep up on a rack at this point, so it has to be something reachable just through the engine area. Can someone walk me through where and how to get some wiring through the firewall?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Trevor C 98tj 01-26-2013 01:45 PM

Theres a hole that you have to pop out a rubber thing right behind where the clutch would be.. it is on my 98 not sure about others

klessa 01-26-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor C 98tj (Post 3281390)
Theres a hole that you have to pop out a rubber thing right behind where the clutch would be.. it is on my 98 not sure about others

awesome.... can you tell me where I'd find that? Are you meaning behind the clutch PEDAL?

Trevor C 98tj 01-26-2013 02:08 PM

Yes sir, If I could post pics, I would show you

Neil F. 01-26-2013 02:25 PM

Right by the steering column there is a large rubber gromet where the main wiring goes through. I don't remember if I went through the gromet or pryed it aside a little to run wire next to it. Any which way, you are also going to need some thin rod with string attached to push through the pull the wiring through.

klessa 01-26-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor C 98tj (Post 3281487)
Yes sir, If I could post pics, I would show you

it's ma'am, but I think I know what you're talking about then. :) So you just popped out the rubber thing, put the wire in there, and then did you replace the rubber over the wire? What I see is a wire clump going through a rubber gasket-looking thing. Is that the one?

klessa 01-26-2013 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by klessa

it's ma'am, but I think I know what you're talking about then. :) So you just popped out the rubber thing, put the wire in there, and then did you replace the rubber over the wire? What I see is a wire clump going through a rubber gasket-looking thing. Is that the one?



Attachment 202115

Here -- the smaller black gasket on left, is that the one?

klessa 01-26-2013 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F.
Right by the steering column there is a large rubber gromet where the main wiring goes through. I don't remember if I went through the gromet or pryed it aside a little to run wire next to it. Any which way, you are also going to need some thin rod with string attached to push through the pull the wiring through.

Hmmm. Okay. I don't see it.

Not where the steering wheel itself goes, right?

Attachment 202121

klessa 01-26-2013 03:59 PM

Okay, I know everyone has been on pins and needles waiting to hear about my firewall crisis. I finally found the spot -- to the right and above the gas pedal, although I could never manage to work the plug completely out of there. I ended up drilling a nice little hole through the rubber gasket and now I'm (finally) on to the fun part, wiring. Egads. Thanks.

Trevor C 98tj 01-26-2013 09:37 PM

Sorry was at work, in my jeep on the first pic, the bottom wire that goes through the rubber thing isn't there lol its only the rubber gasket


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.