Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   do i need a sye/cv driveshaft for a 4" zone lift? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/do-i-need-a-sye-cv-driveshaft-for-a-4-zone-lift-215426.html)

Aaron2000tj 01-28-2013 04:43 PM

do i need a sye/cv driveshaft for a 4" zone lift?

it has a t-case drop but do i need a sye?

Dextreme 01-28-2013 05:23 PM

It you want to be able to move your skid plate back up to get the breakover ground clearance back, then the SYE/CV is your best option.

WranglerWarrior 01-28-2013 05:26 PM

I highly recommend it if you are doing any highway driving

TJspeed 01-28-2013 05:26 PM

Yes

elclipo 01-28-2013 07:06 PM

Is there a way to tell if my transfer case already has one installed? The PO had the lift installed by the dealer and had no insight into what was done, brand, etc.

BigDeaner 01-28-2013 07:10 PM

http://www.off-road.com/images/conte...er-8-10-11.jpg

Look for a gap (washers, piece of metal, etc.) between the skid and the frame. Better yet, take a picture and someone will be able to tell you almost immediately.

i-Zapp 01-28-2013 07:11 PM

mine, with the exact same setup, is ridiculously buzzy. i wouldnt consider longer than a 15 minute ride on the highway. and only if i had to.

elclipo 01-28-2013 07:16 PM

I do have the drop kit. It is not a bar like your picture but rather 6 (8?) spacers.

I was wondering if there's a way to know if a SYE has been installed in the transfer case.

ETA: I haven't had any issues on the highway personally. It seems more stable at those speeds actually.

Big Cole 01-28-2013 07:35 PM

Look at your tcase. A slip yoke indicates no sye. Google what a stock. Tcase looks like

Tanks 01-28-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeaner (Post 3290685)

Better yet, take a picture and someone will be able to tell you almost immediately.

^

Yes, You should get an SYE and CV driveshaft. It will save you in the long run and you get your clearance back. If you lift it, do it right.

Tanks 01-28-2013 07:42 PM

But, Slip Yoke= http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Turn...27?$s7product$

No Slip Yoke (Slip Yoke Elminator) = http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...1/24161-md.jpg

408jeeper 01-28-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron2000tj

You don't need one, but is highly recommended. Especially if you offroad

stumpbuster 01-29-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJspeed (Post 3290295)
Yes

wrong info here

Patrick H 01-29-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumpbuster

wrong info here

That would depend on what your opinion is of doing it the right way. To run 4" lift without a SYE, you,ll need to drop the transfer case, a lot.

stumpbuster 01-29-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3293776)
That would depend on what your opinion is of doing it the right way. To run 4" lift without a SYE, you,ll need to drop the transfer case, a lot.

yes, that is true
op didnt ask right way, everybody told him the right way, but he simply asked if it is "needed"
answer is "no"

Bigkidneys 01-29-2013 10:07 AM

Agree, after scouring through many threads on this you can simply use the transfer case drop that comes with it to hopefully curb the vibes that will come from the angles created from the lift. However, everyone says the proper way to do it is to install the SYE and CV shaft. I get my Zone 4" lift this week and hopefully it will be installed by the weekend. I plan on using the TC drop until I can get the SYE and CV shaft when I get back from deployment. I only use mine as a DD in and around town and with being gone 6 months with a friend driving it a few times to work every week, I think it will be fine until I get back.

Patrick H 01-29-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumpbuster (Post 3293845)
yes, that is true
op didnt ask right way, everybody told him the right way, but he simply asked if it is "needed"
answer is "no"

OK, technically speaking. Then the answer should be "not absolutely necessary, but highly recommended".;)

stumpbuster 01-29-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3293883)
OK, technically speaking. Then the answer should be "not absolutely necessary, but highly recommended".;)

yer right dude, i would never do a tcase drop again, did a few in the past, but my last 2 wranglers i saved for the parts and feel ALOT more confident considering.

DevilDogDoc 01-29-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elclipo (Post 3290724)
I do have the drop kit. It is not a bar like your picture but rather 6 (8?) spacers.

I was wondering if there's a way to know if a SYE has been installed in the transfer case.

ETA: I haven't had any issues on the highway personally. It seems more stable at those speeds actually.

It would look like this. http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/a...72EF2C2125.jpg

Notice the splines are on the driveshaft and not the TC anymore.

Aaron2000tj 01-29-2013 10:18 AM

thanks for all the input
when i bought it came with a 3" body lift i want to remove that and replace it with a 4" sl i think im gonna use the t case drop and purchase an sye as soon as more funds are available thanks

BigDeaner 01-29-2013 10:29 AM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a SYE also entails buying adjustable rear upper control arms to adjust the pinion angle (or at least that's my understanding).

DevilDogDoc 01-29-2013 10:32 AM

Yup and possibly lowers, and an adjustable rear trackbar and a CV bracket.

BigDeaner 01-29-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 3293991)
Yup and possibly lowers, and an adjustable rear trackbar and a CV bracket.

So essentially, it isn't worth buying a kit without uppers and lowers, adjustable trackbars and the like if you're doing a SYE... This is what I've kind of figured out over the past two months of research. I, like the OP wanted to go with a 4" zone lift, but after pricing out all the add ons and such, I just don't think its a complete enough kit seeing as I want to do an SYE with it.

DevilDogDoc 01-29-2013 12:51 PM

You'll be hard pressed to find a "kit" that will raise you 4 inches that has everything that you need. Especially a $500 kit. 4 inches of susp lift, done right will run about $2800. Now before all the I love RC guys and their customer service is great show up it can be done cheaper but I hate doing shit twice. One shot, one kill.

BigDeaner 01-29-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 3294517)
You'll be hard pressed to find a "kit" that will raise you 4 inches that has everything that you need. Especially a $500 kit. 4 inches of susp lift, done right will run about $2800. Now before all the I love RC guys and their customer service is great show up it can be done cheaper but I hate doing shit twice. One shot, one kill.

Yup, I'm budgeting for somewhere around 3 grand for my lift. Might as well do it right the first time.

DevilDogDoc 01-29-2013 12:58 PM

It's easier and cheaper in the long run to do it right the first time, but people get all trigger happy buying a cheap ass lift, finding out it's incomplete or just sucks, then having to do it all over again with a quality lift. Nothing at all saved but lots wasted.....

UnlimitedLJ04 01-29-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron2000tj (Post 3290156)

read this:
What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - JeepForum.com

Teague242 01-29-2013 01:25 PM

I just did a 2.5 ome kit over the weekend. Gained maybe 2.75 inches but installed the Tcase drop kit. Drove it around for an hour without them and got horrible vibes. So right now I only gained less than 2 inches over stock for the transfer case skid. Not acceptable. For the highway this is great, but if you want to do anything serious off road you want that SYE kit.

My plans for it are a set of 33s, SYE kit and all the required parts, and a good tummy tuck, lockers, gears, shafts etc..... Then eventually going to a Clayton long arm kit in a few years.

Do it once and do it right!

sdptrey 01-29-2013 01:31 PM

I have the 4" Zone I have had it for over a year with no issues. I do have the transfercase drop which I dislike very much. In the fure I plan on getting 1" motor mount spacers and lopro tranny mount to reduce the transfercase drop.
The other way which many say is the correct way is to costly for me. It will never be in my budget.
Its seems to me its not just the sye and the drive shaft. You will also need upper and lower control arms. There might be Rear trac bar issues shock issue exaust issues and coil bucket issue.
Maybe all of that is worst case

Bigkidneys 01-29-2013 02:53 PM

Does anyone have a picture of a side view of a 4in lift with a TC drop for reference? I am doing this later this week and will keep it like that until September and then plan to switch out to an SYE and CV shaft and all the other stuff I may need. However, unless the pictures look God awful and the the benefit of an SYE and CV for on road driving is really beneficial over the TC drop, then I may just stay with it as I have no intentions of off roading unless I do it on a beach which is illegal here as far as I know.