Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Land Use Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/)
-   -   Spots near niles, MI (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/spots-near-niles-mi-215775.html)

Bamaboy94 01-29-2013 09:52 PM

Spots near niles, MI

I love doing trails in my jeep but all the trails I know of are by Detroit and traverse city. If anyone lives near Niles MI feel free to let me know of close spots

jkmohican 01-29-2013 10:00 PM

All of them are NOT close to Detroit. The closest possible one is 1 hour and 45 mins, and the really good ones like Rocks and Valleys are about 4. Hopefully there are some near you!

michiganadam 02-02-2013 07:26 PM

Hey i live in st joe, youre only about half an hour from my house. Next time it thaws and im home im going to investigate some spots in watervliet. Its more of a question of if its a fun spot than if its ok to do it. Theres also silver lake state park, north of muskegon...probably a 3 hour drive for us. And theres the badlands, halfway to indianapolis.

But im looking for spots as well. Brand new jeeper.

Bamaboy94 02-02-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam
Hey i live in st joe, youre only about half an hour from my house. Next time it thaws and im home im going to investigate some spots in watervliet. Its more of a question of if its a fun spot than if its ok to do it. Theres also silver lake state park, north of muskegon...probably a 3 hour drive for us. And theres the badlands, halfway to indianapolis.

But im looking for spots as well. Brand new jeeper.

I mean we have back roads with holes on the side but nothing like trails but let me know what you find. Me and my buds will come wheel with ya

amc 02-03-2013 07:36 AM

I'm in Holland, just got my jeep in December. Looking forward to meeting up with fellow jeepers this spring! Right now just enjoying the snow.

michiganadam 02-09-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamaboy94 (Post 3313610)
I mean we have back roads with holes on the side but nothing like trails but let me know what you find. Me and my buds will come wheel with ya

used to have a friend in niles with a girlfriend who had a 1/2 mile dirt oval in his back yard. She broke up with him. :(

Theres a spot in watervliet by the paw paw river that i want to investigate by the old paper mill that got torn down. When its not covered with snow. I dont even know if they ever sold the property, and im not sure if it'd be fun. but i atleast need to investigate it. I used to go fishing there and there was a trail, but i never drove down it to see where it went.

michiganadam 03-16-2013 01:22 PM

Finally went out to watervliet. The old paper mill location by the pawpaw river. It is public property with no signs posted and obvious 4x4 tracks along the river. No hassle but not real fun, not worth the trip from niles. Theres a more fun looking trail with a private property sign. Id prefer to not get shot.

michiganadam 03-17-2013 09:55 PM

Accidently discovered an off road park in coloma. Opens for the season april 6. Called the mudd pits. $100 for season pass or $20 per visit.

Theres also a field behind where hot n now used to be in benton township between napier and maynard. We used to ride dirtbikes there when i was a kid and lived over there. Theres still dirtbike tracks over there but i dont know how hard the ground is....

PFJ18 03-18-2013 08:23 PM

I live in Niles & as far as I know there are not any trails around here at all. There are a lot of trails 3+ hours north of here. If you go to the Michigan DNR website and fish around you will find a page that has plotted maps of all the public trails up north. From what I understand there are different rules for different trails. They are plotted out by which vehicles are allowed on which trails, dirt bikes, quads, side by sides & ORV's.

The closest place that I have found is a place called Bundy Hill Off-road park, just google it & check it out. It is 2 hours straight east of Niles on 12, 13 miles west of Michigan International Speedway in Jerome, MI. It cost $20 a day for the vehicle & driver & $5 for each passenger. It is well worth the drive & money, I was there this past Saturday for opening day.

I have a post in the "Michigan" thread of this forum, that is titled "Bundy Hill trip on 3/16". I was trying to get a group of Jeepers from this area to go out there with me. But no one was able to go this early in the season. There are some photos in that thread if you want to check them out. Hopefully we can get a group together & head over there in a month or so when it warms up.

Good luck finding some places to get off road! If you do please let some us of Niles people know about them please.

jp2611 03-18-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFJ18 (Post 3520957)
I live in Niles & as far as I know there are not any trails around here at all. There are a lot of trails 3+ hours north of here. If you go to the Michigan DNR website and fish around you will find a page that has plotted maps of all the public trails up north. From what I understand there are different rules for different trails. They are plotted out by which vehicles are allowed on which trails, dirt bikes, quads, side by sides & ORV's.

The closest place that I have found is a place called Bundy Hill Off-road park, just google it & check it out. It is 2 hours straight east of Niles on 12, 13 miles west of Michigan International Speedway in Jerome, MI. It cost $20 a day for the vehicle & driver & $5 for each passenger. It is well worth the drive & money, I was there this past Saturday for opening day.

I have a post in the "Michigan" thread of this forum, that is titled "Bundy Hill trip on 3/16". I was trying to get a group of Jeepers from this area to go out there with me. But no one was able to go this early in the season. There are some photos in that thread if you want to check them out. Hopefully we can get a group together & head over there in a month or so when it warms up.

Good luck finding some places to get off road! If you do please let some us of Niles people know about them please.

There is a group from NE IN headed that way the 20th of April...any chance you guys going again than?

PFJ18 03-18-2013 08:42 PM

Hey, jp2611 sorry I meant to reply to your other comment about this yesterday & just forgot about it. Thanks for letting us know about that! I'm not sure if I can make that run yet. As soon as I know for sure I'll let you know.

Do you plan on going then? Do you plan on having yourb new top and other Mods completed?

jp2611 03-18-2013 08:55 PM

Top is on...but that is about it for Mods till this fall...I do plan on going ...but the timing of the arrival of the new grandbaby MAY have an effect on that also.

Gotta save some cash up for Vaca to TN and next MOD is TT SYE and regear and rear locker...am thinking this, late summer early fall...than it will be DONE!!! uh yeah I said that before...but that is all I can think of for this year.

PFJ18 03-18-2013 09:05 PM

Awesome, congrats on your Grandbaby!

We'll have to stay in touch & if this trip doesn't work out We'll figure something out soon!

Your in Fort Wayne right? You'll be at the Jeep Jam right?

Are there any places in Ohio near you?

I have also been wanting to go to the Badlands, have you been there? If so how is that place?

jp2611 03-18-2013 09:09 PM

Thanks for congrats...I had nothing to do with it!!!

Sounds good...haven't been to Badlands know lots of people that have.....from pics and vids I have seen and google earth map....Kessies is to Bundy what Bundy is to Badlands if that makes sense?

KNow nothing Ohio wheeling, have heard of Haspin acres and there is another place down by Roanoke IN but VERY VERY tight...need TJ or MB very hilly/ off camber. Was raining last time I was there....fun time but Red got some damage...and usually doesn't.......

michiganadam 03-19-2013 07:34 AM

When are we going to coloma?

PFJ18 03-19-2013 03:40 PM

I will head up to coloma anytime on a weekend, its only 40 mins for me. What is this place like? Is it worth it?

jp2611 03-19-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFJ18 (Post 3524836)
I will head up to coloma anytime on a weekend, its only 40 mins for me. What is this place like? Is it worth it?

Shoot some Pics or video....may make that run later this summer.

PFJ18 03-20-2013 06:49 AM

jp2611, when I get the chance to head up there I will certainly get some videos & photos to share

PFJ18 03-20-2013 06:52 AM

What about the new park called "Kids in the Mud"? Has anyone been there, what's that place like? They claim on their website that they are constantly building new trails, climbs, pits & ladders. Any of you got any details you would like to share?

1meancj7 03-20-2013 12:32 PM

Hey Niles Guys! What ever happened to the Terminals? Going back 20 years or more when I used to frequent Niles more with friends, you used to be able to ride dirt bikes back on all those old rail beds for miles and miles. I do remember cops patrolling back in there but for the most part we spent a lot of time in there without incident. I remember taking my first Jeep back in there from some road off old M51 north of the White House. I think Korn or White Street. Several of us got stuck in more than one place inside there. I haven't been up that way in years now. I'm guessing most of it has been developed?

P.S. I just Goolge mapped it and it still looks like there is a ton of the old land undeveloped. Look along the rail line between White and Korn Street. From the aerial view you can still make out where a lot of the rail lines cut through. Most of it looks wooded over. Anybody still play back in there? I know it probably wasnt real technical trail driving but it was large enough to still be fun. I remember water and several hills.

PFJ18 03-20-2013 01:09 PM

I have been told by a few people that your just not allowed out there anymore. Not sure why, I assume it was owned by the railroad back then? It seems like someone told me that its owned by the city now.

I'm not sure though, so I will start asking around and find out what's up with it.

Has anyone in the Niles area or anywhere else ever looked into buying an old rock quarry? It seems like they are all over the place. I would be awesome to get access to something like that. I think I will figure out how to get in touch with the right people in the city council & see if they can help with some off road options for this area.

1meancj7 03-20-2013 01:52 PM

The Sod Busters guys did something like this when they acquired their land west of South Bend. That all was Toll Road process land that sat dormant for years but was all dug up from the Toll Road construction and people would just go back in there and trespass/ play long before they got their hands on it. I think they got it pretty cheap from what I remember (I'm not a member).

PFJ18 03-20-2013 06:39 PM

Are the terminals where those power lines run?

If so I just went out there & I could only get about 200 yards of White st. It is so overgrown it is literally insane. I was scrathing up the JK like a pro! Then I went down and try to go back from Barron Lake rd & its as bad or worse.

Let me know if I was in the wrong place.

michiganadam 03-21-2013 07:32 PM

Ive never been to coloma so cant say if its worth it. Ill let you know when im going up there....

PFJ18 03-21-2013 10:29 PM

OK, I finally figured out where the terminals are. They are only about 3 miles from my house and right next to a friend of mines house. I asked him about it and he told me that all of that property is now privately owned and you can't go out there without permission.

Sh-94yj 03-25-2013 08:08 PM

Where is that place in Coloma I have friends in hager township and off of Friday road and am there quite a bit but have never herd of an off road place i know off of central ave there is small tight trails and lost of swamp and MUD I rode my quad there a time or 2 and kinda know dunes
Around there also I'm looking for r15x10 rims

michiganadam 04-03-2013 10:04 AM

Apparently its not in coloma its in bloomingdale. Off Road Park Southwerst Michigan

They linked to coloma motorsports and i had misread.

I thought i found a trail in benton harbor the other day but it ended with a ten foot drop off into the pawpaw river. Good thing i realized it didnt look right. Cool fishing spot though.

1meancj7 04-05-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFJ18 (Post 3536552)
OK, I finally figured out where the terminals are. They are only about 3 miles from my house and right next to a friend of mines house. I asked him about it and he told me that all of that property is now privately owned and you can't go out there without permission.

It was pretty vast at one point. If you look at google maps of the area you can still make out a lot of the area the tracks once ran. The area was a major train yard before the one in Elkhart was built and then after it was basically dismantled. I think it stopped being a major hub probably in the 30s but the land was never repurposed other than the actual rails being pulled out. The old turn table is still over by the old national standard building and somebody has made it part of their business.

If I remember right we used to go in off White or Korn just off M51 by the white house but I'm not positive of the exact location. There was an old rail crossing that didn't have gates or anything. We would head east a little ways and turn to the right into a sort of wooded area and there was lots of old two tracks in there where a lot of people used to drive back into the area. Probably mostly kids drinking and other stuff and why the law would watch over it in later years. At one time back in the mid eighties though it was quite a hot spot for jeeps, dirt bikes, and 3 wheelers. I remember law enforcement on atvs back there after too many people were beginning to take it over. But the last I went in was the early 90s and it seemed like not much activity was back there anymore. I remember a rail trestle bridge that went over a creek and I think I spotted it on google map near where the current in use rail line is. The main yard ran north south next to the current in service tracks and took up a fairly large tract of land just to the east of the current tracks. The tracks eventually went north and curved almost 90 degrees to the east. This area looks to be fairly wide open and driving by it you might never notice it but you can make it all out plain as day from satellite pics. You can also make out where the individual single rail spur lines split off and headed out to various towns north and east of Niles. Many of those old beds would make cool snowmobile trails. I'm surprised if someone owns all the land as it went on forever. The place was big. But I guess it would make sense this many yrs. later. One of the old rail bridges is still up there and I remember driving under it. It wasn't as much technical off roading as it was just cool to be back in a ghost area of the industrial age and that all that land had sat untouched for so long. There was some mud, logs, some hills, and lots of long and winding two tracks. People used to dump crap back in there. Plus we were young and knew we weren't supposed to be in there and it all added to the excitement. I need to get back up there and see if I can remember the layout better. I can imagine that a lot of the growth is 20 years more overgrown and I might not even recognize it anymore. I know some of the land as it gets closer to town was beginning to be bought for development but if you look at how the old rail beds head up to the north and curve to the east back out into the country I would bet a lot of that is still accessible without stirring up too much attention of the neighbors as there doesn't look to be much of anything done to the land still. I also wonder if it might be possible to find out from a local council person who has rights to the land and how much of it is claimed. I would think a lot of it is owned by the city or county just by eminent domain but that they just don't have anything to do with it. You can bet people that live by it are running their skis thru there in the winter.

PFJ18 04-06-2013 08:25 AM

Is anybody headed out to the "Kids in the Mudd Offroad Park" season opener today? The park is located in Bloomingdale, MI. $20 for vehicle & driver, 5$ per passenger.

From what I understand, they are a fairly new park, just a few years old. But I have heard great things about the owners & they appear to be working hard out there trying to create a park that the people want. I think I'm going to go check it out today or tomorrow.

Bamaboy94 04-06-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFJ18 (Post 3520957)

Were do you live in Niles ?