Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Utah Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f61/)
-   -   Moab in April (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f61/moab-in-april-215792.html)

drsuess 01-29-2013 10:50 PM

Moab in April

Hello we are Colorado folks and bought our 2012 Rubi last Summer. We are going to Moab in April. We bought it to access remote areas for photography, hiking and wheeling around.
Any great photog trips around there that are moderate (just learning the vehicles capabilities) and maybe a bit tougher that folks might suggest?
We will visit Arches. certainly, but where are the hidden treasures?
Thanks in advance!
:)

Moabdan 02-01-2013 11:26 PM

You can find amazing photog spots on every trail. Just find a road and go up it and you'll see something.

Terex 03-25-2013 12:59 PM

Just got back from Arches. Simply stunning. Pick up Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails 2nd Edition and National Geographic's Trails Illustrated Map 500 + 501 for your Jeeping pleasure. Also, pick up Hiking from Here to WOW, Utah Canyon Country, for hiking and general info. Amazing area. Have fun, be safe, and read up on precautions for traveling alone off-road.

Don't miss Back of Beyond bookstore in Moab. Greatest selection of outdoorsy books in the whole US.

jcf 03-26-2013 01:02 AM

Go out the Potash Road & into Canyonlands up the switchbacks & then to Dead Horse point, back into town via the hwy, excellent views & a good day trip. Also out Behind the Rocks, take the main dirt road out to the Very Desirable overlook, it's a very scenic drive & looks over Kane Creek. I would also suggest 7 Mile rim trail, it is spectacular & a moderate trail

drsuess 03-27-2013 09:58 AM

Moab in Apri

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll give them a look and a whirl.

BreckenridgeYJ 03-28-2013 02:41 AM

behind the rocks

Unless your Rubi is pretty well built and you have some serious balls, the behind the rocks trail is pretty intense. Look up "white knuckle hill" basically you go down a steep series of ledges, and off a 6 ft cliff.... No bypass.

I almost got talked into running this trail last week in my TJ, ended up hopping in another jeep for the day. I'm VERY glad I did. Further reading informed me this is one of the most difficult trails in Moab.

drsuess 03-29-2013 11:48 PM

behind the rocks

Thanks for the heads up.
We are full of common sense and will always cross check references.
Suggestions always will spur investigations.
Better safe than sorry.
Having fun is the goal.

BreckenridgeYJ 03-30-2013 04:11 AM

In a different thread I stated I lucked out skipping a run...... Your stock rubi could go practically anywhere, if you'll press the gas pedal on those trails...... That said, run poison spider Mesa with another jeep or 2. Will give you a solid basis for judgement. It certainly did for me without any problem spots. Wish I would have had my bag of L glass along for the trip!

BreckenridgeYJ 03-30-2013 04:12 AM

Fins and things could be easy enough too...... Of just follow Kane creek rd up about 10 miles and you're set without the need for 4wd

YJmaddness 04-07-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsuess
Hello we are Colorado folks and bought our 2012 Rubi last Summer. We are going to Moab in April. We bought it to access remote areas for photography, hiking and wheeling around.
Any great photog trips around there that are moderate (just learning the vehicles capabilities) and maybe a bit tougher that folks might suggest?
We will visit Arches. certainly, but where are the hidden treasures?
Thanks in advance!
:)

There is a great jeep trail in arches. tower arch trail. It has some awesome views! We did it last week in our stock jk. Took about 2 hours with a small hike to tower arch.