Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   regearing help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/regearing-help-215992.html)

Johnwbs 01-30-2013 08:00 PM

regearing help

Once taxes come in I plan on regearing to 4.88's with a complete overhaul kit. Just wondering if anyone in the springs area has any experience with installing them and would be willing to help out. I've called a couple shops around here and it's looking to cost 650-800 for them to do it. Never done it before and would like to save as much as possible for other mods. From what I've read it seems simple enough, i'm pretty capable with a wrench Id just like some experienced help. Thanks,

Full Spool 01-30-2013 08:25 PM

If you do it yourself, who is going to warranty the work and parts?

GSPup 01-31-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnwbs
Once taxes come in I plan on regearing to 4.88's with a complete overhaul kit. Just wondering if anyone in the springs area has any experience with installing them and would be willing to help out. I've called a couple shops around here and it's looking to cost 650-800 for them to do it. Never done it before and would like to save as much as possible for other mods. From what I've read it seems simple enough, i'm pretty capable with a wrench Id just like some experienced help. Thanks,

I'd like to come 'help' and learn for myself. I have friends who have done it with no prior experience and their gears have been fine for years. Basically follow the directions, check and recheck everything and you'll be fine. Just need a few special tools and a lot of patience.

Let me know if you want help.

Johnwbs 01-31-2013 07:58 PM

Should've been more specific that's 600-850 per axle. So with the cost of the labor Im not too concerned with the benefit of a warranty. Since most of them only cover normal wear and tear. Which, lets be honest most of us dont anything that would be considered "normal wear and tear" in our Jeeps.

But I'll take any help I can get.

wanderlust 02-01-2013 07:52 AM

Per axle! I need to rethink what I do for a living. Actually this should be an interesting year for me.

Oldguy 02-01-2013 08:06 AM

How is your collection of specialized tools coming?

wanderlust 02-01-2013 08:31 AM

It is coming along. Figure another month or so

JFjeld 02-01-2013 10:18 AM

If you're interested in coming up north a bit, my neighbor in Firestone does gears. You supply gears/rebuild kit of your choice, but from what I understand, his labor is very reasonable. I think you'd definitely save a bit from the quotes you were throwing out. He's a fellow Jeep owner and is a member of COJeeps Forums.

If you're interested, PM me and I can give you his info.

Personally, I do nearly everything I can to my Jeep, but when it comes to gears, I don't have the patience or precision. I lucked out in buying regeared axles.