Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   Aux lighting setup question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/aux-lighting-setup-question-216069.html)

dpeaves25 01-31-2013 08:26 AM

Aux lighting setup question
 
Hey, I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions about aux lighting setup. I am thinking about getting the Rugged Ridge front bumper light bar which has three light tabs. I plan to add two driving lights on the outside tabs and a spot in the middle. I offroad at low speeds so I really don't need to see 500 yards out front. However, I think the single spot in the middle might come in handy on those dark and lonely Texas farm to market roads. Anyone running a similar setup? If so, how do you like it.

Thanks,

Dave

kbwwolf 01-31-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpeaves25 (Post 3302966)
Hey, I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions about aux lighting setup. I am thinking about getting the Rugged Ridge front bumper light bar which has three light tabs. I plan to add two driving lights on the outside tabs and a spot in the middle. I offroad at low speeds so I really don't need to see 500 yards out front. However, I think the single spot in the middle might come in handy on those dark and lonely Texas farm to market roads. Anyone running a similar setup? If so, how do you like it.

Thanks,

Dave

That'll work...

I put the long-range lights on windshield mounts, and have a pair of LED fogs for my stinger; just haven't installed the fogs yet. I've also got a set of fogs mounted in my rear bumper, for backing up at night.

Whatever combo works for your needs, go for it. :thumb:

dpeaves25 02-01-2013 06:55 AM

kbwwolf, thanks for the reply.

Hansen 02-26-2013 12:30 PM

I did something similar. Have an OR Fab front bumper with built in fogs. Used the OEM fogs since they seem well enough for now. Added two PIAA 5296 ATP lights on the bumper bar (has built-in light tabs for mounting) to serve as long range driving lights to supplement the factory highbeams. They triggered to operate off the high beam switch and boy are those things bright. PIAA says each one is the equivalent to 135 watts. Works really good for high beams now.

JerryJeepster 02-27-2013 07:14 AM

I have OEM fogs in back bumper ready to be wired to the reverse lights. I believe they're 42 watts each and have the harness on them. I'm a bit nervous to wire them directly to my reverse lights. I don't want to burn up the factory wiring. Any hints or suggestions?

Dick Blonov 02-27-2013 08:21 AM

On the 2012, the OEM fogs are 24 watts. The backup lights circuit is fused at 20 amps. If all you want is these fogs to turn on with the backup lights, I would wire them directly (or use the trailer harness if you have one). If you have had a trailer, the usual 3157 bulb is 28 watts, so would come out to the same.

DB

JerryJeepster 02-27-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Blonov (Post 3427351)
On the 2012, the OEM fogs are 24 watts. The backup lights circuit is fused at 20 amps. If all you want is these fogs to turn on with the backup lights, I would wire them directly (or use the trailer harness if you have one). If you have had a trailer, the usual 3157 bulb is 28 watts, so would come out to the same.

DB

They're knock off OEM so I will double check the watts. The harness goes into one lead and has a fuse and relay built in. Its set up just like the fronts. Can I splice into the drivers side light where my 4 lead trailer harness is tapped into? And ahould I keep the relay and fuse on it? Thanks for the help.

Dick Blonov 02-27-2013 11:06 AM

hmm. I would confirm the wattage and the fuse rating before deciding what's the best approach.

DB

Dick Blonov 02-28-2013 12:53 PM

These are the options I see:

1- Splice into the driver's side light and don't use the relay.
2- Hook up the relay coil (trigger) to passenger side light and take 12V power from the cargo area power outlet (this is also fused at 20A).

Other than that, not sure where you can get fused 12VDC at the rear.


DB

JerryJeepster 02-28-2013 12:59 PM

Lights are 55 watts each. I am thinking of installing a block by battery withba set of switches inside. Then run a dedicated wire to the reverse fog lights. Maybe there husband way to have them on a switch and also come on in reverse. I'd rather over kill than burn up wires and computer.

Dick Blonov 02-28-2013 01:52 PM

A separate fused feed is the safest solution for sure (and you can decide when you use the bumper lights).

DB

JerryJeepster 02-28-2013 02:03 PM

And next time I will double check my intuitive text. Doh!! Stupid Droid!!

Dick Blonov 02-28-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryJeepster (Post 3433476)
And next time I will double check my intuitive text. Doh!! Stupid Droid!!

:rofl:

DB


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.