Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Stolen Jeep/ Future Security... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/stolen-jeep-future-security-216185.html)

crazyjz 01-31-2013 05:58 PM

Stolen Jeep/ Future Security...

Last Thursday, January 24th my, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport was stolen from my apartment complex parking lot. But this morning, January 31, at 2:00 AM I received a call that it had been recovered! I wont get to see what shape it is in until tomorrow as someone was arrested and the Jeep must be searched by the state patrol first. The only thing I do know is that it isn't red anymore, its green... But Ill get better details on that tomorrow.
All that leads up to my question.

What are some security measures that you all use for your Jeeps?
And what are some of the better options out there?

I have a soft top with half doors, the top half of the doors are sliders, and for most of the spring and summer I take the top down and store the doors away. Thanks for any and all input and suggestions!
-Justin ZJ

JReed615 01-31-2013 06:03 PM

I have a viper alarm and the chip in the key that came from the factory. Other than that, I keep an eye on it as much as possible, and park in a well lit area. That's just about all you can do. I'd recommend an alarm, it definitely makes me feel more secure about my jeep.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the jeep. I hope everything turns out ok

panthermark 01-31-2013 06:52 PM

I have:
Factory Alarm/chipped key
Hardtop
Hood locks (can't easily get to the battery)
Gorilla wheel locks
Tuffy undserseat lockbox and Tuffy rear trunk enclosure (for summer time/no top)
Factory HU/amp (with upgraded speakers behind stock grills)

Basically, I want to make it look like an uninviting target. Nothing aftermarket in sight, and everything is locked up anyway.

Sorry about your Jeep, glad you got it back.

NonRubicon 01-31-2013 07:16 PM

I run a reinforced hood lock and a hidden starter kill switch. A hidden kill switch to the fuel pump would be even better. Makes it difficult for the vehicle to be driven away.

However, even the most expensive alarm system will be negated by a flatbed or repo-man style tow rig.

Ultimately, the best thing to do is make sure you have comprehensive coverage that will pay out well if your vehicle is stolen. It's why I have comprehensive coverage on a 23 year old vehicle.

benjamin.allen 01-31-2013 07:35 PM

I have the stock alarm and just watch where i park and things like that. Could always look into lo jack as well

JReed615 01-31-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonRubicon
However, even the most expensive alarm system will be negated by a flatbed or repo-man style tow rig.

A tilt sensor will make your alarm go off, but that's about as much as you can do. That's always a scary thought for me

Shrimp 01-31-2013 08:17 PM

You can rig a 12g shotgun shell with a mouse trap under the seat to go off when someone sits down, just an idea.

dukedallas 02-01-2013 09:45 AM

^ Just dont forget its there

Tweak 02-01-2013 09:48 AM

wow, hope they at least did a good job on the paint! maybe its not all bad, free paint job! we demand pics and details when you get it!

dukedallas 02-01-2013 10:52 AM

I had a car stolen years ago and was within 2 days of getting it paid out by insurance and I got "The Call" from the troopers that they found it, in the Bronx. I wish they never had because it was a disaster, my beloved first new car was a mess, I wound up selling it for almost nothing, and the dude who bought it wrecked it within 2 days! LOL. Shitty feeling overall, youre better off not getting it back!

ninjaturtle0 02-01-2013 03:53 PM

Install alarm that goes off with vibes and won't let the jeep start... install a hood lock so when a thief tries to disconnect the alarm it will either slow em down to buy some time for you to lay the smack-down or just take off...

Steve305 02-01-2013 07:28 PM

Bottom line ..... NO ALARM system will stop a professional. None. Like has been said, the best thing you can do is make is uninviting for the PUNKS. The pros will get it if they decide they want it no matter what you do.

Hillbilly Tactical 02-01-2013 07:50 PM

While in the Army, my room mate had his Camaro rigged where you had to slide a switch that looked liked it was for the wipers, then press in the cigarette lighter. (a push to start button with the lighter end glued to)
He did have a way to stop power to the fuel pump with a drink mechine style key.

crazyjz 02-02-2013 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 204861

Before

Attachment 204862

After

Steve305 02-02-2013 05:20 PM

I'd do some SERIOUS talking with your insurance company. Odds are that the paint was just sprayed on as a "quickie" color change and there probably wasn't any prep work done at all. This is going to cause major cosmetic problems later on if that is the case. If they won't compensate you for the color change or otherwise make things right, then I'd demand that they pay to have it professionally repainted and the red color put back on. At least that way you'll know that the paint isn't going to fall off after a few months. STAND YOUR GROUND on this event. That's why you pay insurance and you deserve to have your Jeep back in the same condition that it was previously.

BlueRidgeYJ 02-03-2013 10:26 AM

Get a trailer lock and lock the clutch and brake pedals together (assuming 5 spd). A pro will still get it, but 80% will go on to the next one. Or you can always install a hidden flip switch on the NSS circuit if it is an auto. Again, pros will pick it up but 80% will not be able to steal it.

RoadiJeff 02-03-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3315376)
Get a trailer lock and lock the clutch and brake pedals together (assuming 5 spd)

What 5-speed? The newer Wrangler manuals have 6-speed, the autos are 5-speed and no clutch pedal. :)

Tweak 02-03-2013 10:50 AM

damn it looks like it was used by a mexican drug lord. insurance will try to mess with you, this is a strange situation so STAND YOUR GROUND

BlueRidgeYJ 02-03-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff

What 5-speed? The newer Wrangler manuals have 6-speed, the autos are 5-speed and no clutch pedal. :)

Well, I suppose it would work on them, too, as well as 4 speed autos and manuals.

Fwiw, I trust hydrolic systems and cable wires much more than electronic fly-by-wire. So I don't keep up wih the new-new. Just ask Boeing how it is working out for the Dreamliner.
;)

crazyjz 02-07-2013 10:58 PM

So a brief but not final update...

Today I met with an insurance claims adjuster or evaluator or something along the lines of that, but he said due to the fact that the paint was not carefully applied and there is overspray on the soft top all the trim, lights windows etc. that it would likely be called a total loss. The interior is also pretty trashed, center column is gone including heating controls, stereo is busted, and carpet is trashed. One of my summer projects was to rhino line (or something comparable) the tub so carpet is not a big deal, but I am getting ahead of my point... If they total it I have the option to keep the jeep as is and the money minus what they would have received for it in salvage. So just throwing out random numbers the jeep is worth 6k and salvage is 1k I could either take the 6k and they keep the jeep, or take 5k and I keep the jeep. Thought and recommendations are appreciated on this situation, also where are some places I could get a decent priced paint job, how much are paint jobs, where can I go for a replacement center column and glovebox?

Jeeplover1 02-07-2013 11:01 PM

Attachment 207169

JReed615 02-07-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyjz

Today I met with an insurance claims adjuster or evaluator or something along the lines of that, but he said due to the fact that the paint was not carefully applied and there is overspray on the soft top all the trim, lights windows etc. that it would likely be called a total loss. The interior is also pretty trashed, center column is gone including heating controls, stereo is busted, and carpet is trashed. One of my summer projects was to rhino line (or something comparable) the tub so carpet is not a big deal, but I am getting ahead of my point... If they total it I have the option to keep the jeep as is and the money minus what they would have received for it in salvage. So just throwing out random numbers the jeep is worth 6k and salvage is 1k I could either take the 6k and they keep the jeep, or take 5k and I keep the jeep. Thought and recommendations are appreciated on this situation, also where are some places I could get a decent priced paint job, how much are paint jobs, where can I go for a replacement center column and glovebox?

I would say a good paint job itself would probably take more than half of the money, however I can't say for sure.

With all the other stuff, I doubt you'd break even. Either way you're at a loss. I guess it depends how attached you are to the Jeep and your willingness to part with it.

GeckoJK 02-07-2013 11:39 PM

Take the $5k and keep the Jeep. It would be worth keeping as a trail beater.

Tweak 02-07-2013 11:46 PM

sorry about your jeep, did the assholes at least get caught?

ed98208 02-07-2013 11:52 PM

Depending on how the numbers shake out I'd keep the Jeep. It's got to be worth more than salvage even if you just sold it outright as a fixer-upper. Some kid would probably be thrilled to have it if it's still drive-able.

If you want an extra milk jug to replace that dented one, I've got a couple lying around. lol

Jeeplover1 02-07-2013 11:59 PM

keep her you can do alot with that 5000 to make her purrty

Jeeplover1 02-07-2013 11:59 PM

you can part it out for several 1000

AlexS 02-08-2013 08:18 AM

Reminds me of the pay and spray in Grand Theft Auto! Sorry to hear about the jeep man. Hopefully insurance does the right thing and pays you out fairly.

cctriesch 02-08-2013 08:30 AM

Sorry to hear this.. Thieves are the scum of the earth. I would say keep it and part it out. It might take a little longer but you would really get some extra cash in the process.

joeuncool 02-08-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyjz (Post 3336842)

You Jeep sure was purty before all this but I am partial to red. A good paint job can cost quite a bit. Don't go to Maaco and get a $400 paint job and expect anything decent. We got a quote for a complete respray of the same same color on a Jetta at a very good body shop. The quote came to just over $4k. With vehicle paint jobs, a good portion of what you pay is labor. Removal of all the trim and accessories and putting them back on plus tape and masking. You can probably save a fair amount on a paint job if you are willing to strip all that stuff off yourself and put it back on after. As for interior pieces, salvage yards or "used" parts joints are probably the way to go. Many salvage yards have gone national with the internet so searching Google for used parts might be your best bet. When all is said and done you will probably have a difficult time getting it fixed back up for what insurance might give you but if THAT Jeep means a lot to you then that might be the way to go. You will probably have difficulties finding another Jeep to buy of equal quality as yours for what insurance gives you plus finding a Jeep around the year yours is and in the condition it appeared to be will also be difficult. Either way it will cost you in the end and it is a giant pain in the butt for you. Keep us updated on whatever you do.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him." "Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."