Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Catalytic converter help

680 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MTJeepTJ 
#1 ·
I have a 04 Rubi that I'm wanting to replace the cats on. My question is: I know that I currently have the 2 mini cats, but I do not see a larger rear cat underneath towards the rear. I have a feeling that the PO cut off the big one and welded in a straight pipe. Can someone tell me if replacing the current set-up with one of the direct fit units listed on rock auto that has the larger rear cat will cause any issues?? All of the O2 sensors are close to the mini cats, so what's the point/function of the larger rear cat I see in the pic? Any help or advice would be appreciated as I'm needing to get this done ASAP to pass emission testing before March 1st.

#2 ·
To pass emissions i would put the part with all 3 cats on. From what ive read the third cat is just to clean to exhaust up even more than the small cats. Lots of people take the 3rd one out, especially if their state doesnt do emissions. Im gonna take my 3rd cat out, so i looked into this. I dont think it makes any real performance upgrade to remove that 3rd cat. Im removing mine because i get alot of brush in my skidplate in the summertime and it catches on fire easily with that cat inside the skidplate. Where i live fires are a real concern in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.